Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing the glacia @ Kitzsteinhorne (Kaprun)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Was wondering what the difference if anywhen skiing a glacia.

Will hopefully be going back to Zell to do some biking and hiking later in the year and will try and get a couple of days up up on the glacia at Kitzsteinhorne, so was wondering what to expect.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Renry,

The only Glacier I've really skied was the Presena (Passo Tonale, Italy). It is relatively small with only 2 T-Bars in operation. I skied it in January, so it was pretty cold (3000m), also a wee bit short of breath. Just a big wide open run really, not overly exciting, but a fantastic view from the top.

I think Kaprn looks alot more extensive though
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Renry wrote:
Was wondering what the difference if anywhen skiing a glacia.

No, other than the need to exercise caution when straying off the pistes because of crevace danger.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
No, other than the need to exercise caution when straying off the pistes because of crevace danger.

Such as this http://www.killsometime.com/Video/video.asp?ID=391. It's like... too deep!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it just ice Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Renry wrote:
Is it just ice Embarassed

No, just snow same as any other piste. If it is just glacier ice, because high wind has blown of all the snow for example, you ski elsewhere.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Its Ok for a couple of days. Lots of the runs quite similar, mainly blues, usual drag lifts, but some decent chairs up to half way. Very nice red down from the Alpincentre to the lower station Langwied. Embarassed Just noticed you are going off season, ignore my entire post as i have only done it in winter>
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Other than the caveats of crevasses skiing a glacier should be the same as any other piste the snow lays on the top of the glacier, snow conditions tend to be good becasue of the height. Over the summer will diminish and be refreshed in autumn. Pistes will gradually close as the summer progresses and fewer and fewer lifts are in operation. I skiied Kitzehorn in the winter many years ago and seem to recall it being quite large say in comparison to the Tignes glacier or the now defunct summer area at Val Thorens.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys. Interesting.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I slied the Kitzsteinhorn glacier at the end of May a few years ago. The snow was good in the morning but got quite slushy by about 1.30pm. There are quite a few blue runs up there....you can avoid the t-bars by getting the cable car up to the top.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skied there last summer, quite good early in the morning, area limited, ski hire available at the AlpinCentre (top of the 2nd gondola), if you have a walking lift pass, the ski pass and hire are discounted

NB temperature varied significantly due to high ambient temperature and variable wind chill, seemed to be constantly adjusting the zips on my jacket

see here
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The alpincentre have lockers where you can leave your ski gear overnight, so you don't have to treck up and down with/in it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for pointing that old thread out AlpineWalker,

Sounds like it would be worth a visit for a day or two
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Renry wrote:
Thanks for pointing that old thread out AlpineWalker

you're welcome, enjoy!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy