Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip report - Saalbach

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Resort: Saalbach
Who went: Me and my other half (J for the purpose of this)
Domain: The Skicircus, currently around 270 km of pistes, but likely to be expanded with a connection over to Zell am See.
When: Christmas 2017

Reason for choosing : As J is quite new to skiing I’d previously picked beginner-friendly resorts (Soldeu and Alpe D’Huez – I was pleasantly surprised by the former) and we were unlucky with conditions at both places (sheet ice vs slush). Sensing that J didn’t quite have the skiing bug yet I thought that Christmas in a snowy, traditional Austrian village would do the trick. We left it late so we knew conditions were pretty good and booked the Hotel Kristiana through Crystal for a very reasonable price (much cheaper than we could have done ourselves).

Flights and transfers : Flights from EMA to Salzburg on 23rd Dec – outbound we were delayed 2 hours. It transpires that this is a regular occurrence for this flight as it arrives at EMA from the rather chaotic Chambery. We should count ourselves lucky though, because a week later it didn’t take off at all (and was re-scheduled for a day later). Upon landing we were sat on a coach for about 90 minutes whilst the reps searched for four missing tourists (maybe they could just call them?). All of this meant that we missed our hotel meal, though the hotel soon put a smile back on our faces by preparing a meat and cheese platter with complimentary wine – lovely!
Coming home on the 30th, we arrived at Salzburg to be told that there was at least a 4 hour delay. Again the gloom was short-lived – a TUI flight back to Glasgow was empty (having just dispatched its first passengers of the season) and offered to drop us all off slightly earlier than the scheduled flight.

The hotel: The Kristiana is situated at the top of the main street, within a five minute walk of both lift stations in the village and is the best skiing accommodation I’ve stayed in. It has nice bar and very friendly staff. Christmas Eve was a highlight; the guests were gathered around the Christmas Tree to sing Silent Night (lyric sheets in German and English) and an Austrian band played during the 4 course meal. Breakfasts and dinners were very good all week and the mixture of different nationalities made for a great atmosphere.

The skiing : Having previously skied in Saalbach with a group of experienced skiers I hadn’t really paid attention to piste difficulty, but I was struck by the steepness of a lot of the blue runs. This is where the advice received from other Snowheads (especially Mr Tatman) was invaluable. A fantastic blue at the top of the Bernkogel lift (accessible from the gondola from the village, then a chairlift) was a great confidence booster, followed by the many steady blues on the Kohlmais side of the village. We only came unstuck when unwisely following advice from fellow guests to try blue 2 from the top of Schattberg Ost – very icy and steeper than anything else we’d been down– I had to carry J’s skis for a large part of this one.
A minor blip though, and by the end of the week we’d made it to Leogang, Hinterglemm and skied most of the easier runs at Hochalm. Whilst J was in a private lesson I made it over to Fieberbrunn, but didn’t hang around long as I was worried about the lift connection closing.
I can’t comment about the off-piste on offer, but piste-wise there looks to be something for everyone. By the end of the week J was skiing her first reds.

The snow : Conditions were great all week – lots of snow prior to our arrival, and sun for all but one day. The north-facing runs were icy, but we tried to avoid these where possible.

Lift system : Fast efficient lifts throughout the area and minimal queues (if any). A couple of times the higher lifts were closed due to high-wind at the top, but this didn’t affect us in the still valleys. This did lead to the comical spectacle of a couple (English) shouting at the lift man that he’d closed the lifts for no reason and they wanted a refund. Personally I’d have sent them up there. If you do get stuck, ski buses are pretty abundant to get you back to your village (although I’m not sure this applies to Leogang or Fieberbrunn).

The resort: Saalbach is a lovely small village with loads of bars and restaurants and some lovely looking hotels. Apres-wise, we usually ended up at Spitzbub, Burgi’s or Bauer’s Schi Alm at the base of the Kohlmais – all were great fun and it was a little difficult to drag ourselves back for dinner on a couple of nights. Criminally I had never been to the Hinterhag before (due to staying in a pension on the Schattberg side I think). This is an experience not to be missed, although I’m sure it would have been even busier at New Year. In Hinterglemm we had a night at the Goesstall – pretty good, but we preferred Saalbach.

Food : I can’t comment on restaurants in the village, but the mountain huts were all of great quality with friendly staff. The Sonnalm, Barnalm and Alte Schmiede were our favourites.

Costs: £850 pp each for the package, E255 for lift passes, cheap ski higher at Hansi’s complete with post-breakfast schnapps. Food and drink was very reasonable (cheaper than Andorra).

Conclusion: A fantastic week, so much so that we were trying to find ways to stay on a couple more days, but no beds were available.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice report - looking to do another Austrian trip so good info - thanks
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well done @Valluga its great having a good time.
Its also good that you are also blessed with that great gift of good thing happening.

Such as lucky flights.

I spotted your handle and thought for a moment that you were an old ski buddy of mine who had VALLUGA as his car number plate, but his wife was called C.
Great skiers both of them.

Thanks for the report!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DrLawn,
Quote:

old ski buddy of mine who had VALLUGA as his car number plate

Wow, how much that one worth? Which is the 'number' in that? Maybe Austria doesn't have them?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DrLawn, not me I'm afraid - and we're definitely not great skiers. Just happened to be in St Anton when I first joined snowheads and that was the first name that came to mind. Well...the second, but it appears someone has already taken Stanton... wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Valluga, Glad you had a successful holiday and found my tips useful. Not surprised that you didn't like 2b, although it can be okay early in the day and in good snow conditions. Glad you used Hansi for your equipment needs; also that you discovered the subtle attractions of the Hinterhag.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Valluga, +1 for hotel Kristiana, I have been going to Saalbach for a number of years and stayed in numerous places (none of which were bad) However stayed in Kristiana for the first time in January and got to say this my new favourite when I take in all factors, quality of room and location stand out for me. Been in some other quality hotels but down at the bottom of the town or on main road, but they are not as good for location, access to lifts in morning or the best apres more importantly!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PeakyB, V411 UGA in the old style, if you squint a little and use a sans serif font wink

@Valluga, 2B off the top of Schattberg Ost is one of the glories of the valley, but only when the conditions are good and the skiers are at a level to handle it. Lots of it is rolling, open and easy but the top section to the cut-off at Simalalm runs parallel to the red and is really of the same grade, and the bottom section down to Jausernalm looks pretty daunting if you've only ever been on blues before - whereas once you are comfortable on reds, the pitch down to Jausernalm is great fun. The only downside used to be standing up in the Schonleitenbahn to get out of the valley, but now that has been replaced by a heated and seated gondola the only issue is getting there before 10am or after 11am to avoid the queues caused by the ski school classes all trying to get on at the same time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had a horrible experience skiing the 2b a few years back as an end-of-the-day run that I really didn't want to do. I'm more than capable of skiing it, but I'd wanted to grab a lift back down as I was very tired and I'd had enough of skiing for the day. However, thanks to a navigating cock-up by the group we missed the lift station and had to ski the 2b. The top wasn't too bad but the bottom section was a nightmare; huge, slushy moguls interspersed with sheet ice. I was raging by the time we finished and demanded an immediate large beer in the bar at the bottom. Evil or Very Mad

Glad you had a great time in Saalbach OP, it's a resort I'll most definitely return to and I will also make a note of that hotel, it sounds great.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@HoneyBunny, Nightmare runs are good experience 😉
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No, no they are not!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ribblevalleyblue, yes you can't really go wrong if you're looking for digs close to the apres Smile Although (it's just occurred to me) the busiest place all week seemed to be Schwips by the Schattberg lift. Very friendly but very smoky.

2b is a great run @ousekjarr / @HoneyBunny and conditions weren't too bad - I think J was just a bit daunted by the length of it and the icy first section (2a?). I did suggest we took the chairliftt back up to the top after the icy intro but, hey, what do I know? rolling eyes We've since had another great week in Schladming skiing on mainly reds, so I'm sure she will enjoy it more next time.

Thanks again @tatmanstours, or the "English Mayor of Saalbach" as Hansi calls you. Although I quickly regretted using your name in vain when he handed me my second shot of schnaps at nine in the morning Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Valluga, good report. The more I read about Saalbach the more I like what I read and see. Certainly on my want to go to list in the next couple of seasons.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Valluga,
Quote:

I quickly regretted using your name in vain when he handed me my second shot of schnaps at nine in the morning

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing we´ve all been there, wait til he orders you a Bauern Tequila and then gets his camera out Laughing

Scarpa and me are just back from a day over there with M rand Mrs Tatman, it is a bit of a trek from here but SO worth it, absolutely love Saalbach. We were lucky enough to do the run down into Viehofen this season too so added plus!

Nice TR, thanks for posting Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy