Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

switch to blades or stick to ski..........advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Tim Brown, I've already ventured off piste with my blades and very successful with it. As obelix67 so aptly put it, these days blades come in varying lengths, shapes and designs. I have fat blades that are designed to perform identically to fat skis. They allow me to tackle all off piste conditions providing the terrain is tilted sufficiently, far more efficiently than your conventional fat ski.
I would go as far to say that releasable bindings on skiboards are dangerous, just as they are on snowboards.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stephen Neal wrote:
In my view, a skier that has to ask for releasable bindings on blades - is not using the blades correctly.

That's as may be, but not much comfort if you're in Moutiers Hospital for two weeks for temporary repairs before being transferred back to a UK hospital for further surgery. I wouldn't go near a blade without a releasable binding.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stephen Neal, aggressive carving power on releasable bindings, or by current Olympians.

PS, they were put on market by Kneissl before Salomon.

Quote:
Salomon's solution

The biggest news for the 2005/06 season is that Salomon, arguably the world's largest producer of skiboards, are finally offering the option of a release system on their skiboards. This comprises a C609 release binding fitted to a riser plate. Not surprisingly, it increases both the price and weight of the product - the former goes up by about £50 and the latter by about 1.5kg per pair. I am told that you set the binding release setting exactly as you would if you were skiing. I will confirm this with my contacts at Salomon HQ. In addtion, they are also offering a release plate kit for about £65 for skiboarders that currently own a non-release system and wish to fit a release mechanism. To fit, you simply unscrew your current bindings off the skiboard and screw these back into the holes. This is compatible with all standard Salomon adult skiboards. Ellis Brigham are selling these online here. I would urge all Salomon skiboard owners to consider making this move! Hopefully, these products will prove successful in reducing the incidence of lower leg injuries on skiboards. Time will tell!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alistair wrote:That's as may be, but not much comfort if you're in Moutiers Hospital for two weeks for temporary repairs before being transferred back to a UK hospital for further surgery. I wouldn't go near a blade without a releasable binding.

Alistair, I don't think you are being fair. I am presuming you have never skied on re-leasable bindings, so you have to ask yourself what would your injuries be (if any), if you were blading on releasable bindings??
Blading, like any other snowsport that involves sliding or schussing is potentially risky. By allowing yourself to be proficient in any of those fields will considerably lessen the risk of injury. The problem with snowblading is that the greater percentage of snowbladers you see from your chairlift have not been adequately trained to use them in their correct perspective.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stephen, I hate to disagree but if non-releasables are so good, why are they not fitted to full length skis? The reason why most blades are fitted with them is production costs. Better quality blades (300+euro's) have releaseables, the cheaper don't. Bad injuries are much more likely if the skis/blades don't come off and I would suggest caution when you undertake your aggressive technique. You will be in trouble off-piste if you hit rocks.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, he he he.

One question, if snowblades are so great for carving, why do the "Carving Cup" athletes seem to be using Slalom skis as shown here?? Confused

Also, to my jaded and skier sensitised eye, the "carvers" look a lot less stable than the skiers do.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chris, correct.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch, blades are good for teaching people who don't understand what carving is, to feel what it's all about. They're a bit of fun for half a day, and that's about it for an already accomplished skier.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tim Brown, sure, but the Carving Cup link is to a site around FIS certified (?) carving racing. Now, there's nothing wrong with throwing your poles away if that's what lights your fire but...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stephen Neal, nah cant agree with you on the releaseable side

From leptisuisse on the skibards messageboard he is doing his review on the softer flex Summit 110

Now for the review of the softer flex, It won't be one because on the first day I tried the softer board,... I had a little accident...
I made the mistake to replace the Spurce Salomon releasable binding by old Canon NON releasable bindings, and on the second run of the day I fell pretty badly.... The result... a broken tibia and fibula in many places, with my bone sticking out of my leg. Helicopter,4 hours on the operation table, a big nail running the length of my tibia, 7 screws and a metal plate. a week at the hospital and 8 weeks without putting my foot on the floor.

So... what I learned from this experience... It was great to deal with skiboards.com and then, there must be a reason why releasable bindings have been developped for skiboards. Unfortunately I learned it the hard way.
But I'll be back on my boards next season Happy

Dave, Tim keep saying it someone might believe you - but there are more and more people on the mountains with skiboards for whatever their reason..... snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chris, I saw some ski's in intersport with non releaseables on.........looked dangerous and stupid to me but what do I know :0
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Okay guys, let's get something straight. I didn't state that non releasable bindings on blades were safer than releasable bindings.. I said that I feel safer skiing on non releasable bindings as opposed to releasable bindings. I've been skiing on blades for about 10 seasons now and on fat blades off piste for 5 seasons. I've had a few tumbles during that time and all without injuries - I simply roll over and land back on top of me blades. I've never bladed on releasable bindings and if it remains within my decision, I never intend to. I don't give a hoot about all your safety concerns, and for all I care you can blade on releasable bindings 'til the cows come home, and personally I think you're all overreacting and acting like some nanny state institution. I feel for you guys that have been injured using non releasable bindings, but there are a helluva a lot more skiers injured because their bindings release too easily! There are also a helluva lot more skiers and snowboarders injured period!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
obelix67 wrote:

Dave, Tim keep saying it someone might believe you - but there are more and more people on the mountains with skiboards for whatever their reason..... snowHead

That's rather going to depend on where you go Very Happy I'm sure if you went some places on skiboards you'd get second glances and people asking what they were.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stephen Neal, it isn't about you. Unfortunately, we seem to have frightened karencannon out of her own thread.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex, I'm sorry I gave you the impression that this excellent thread was about me. I thought I was simply responding and contributing to fellow posters' comments on the subject of 'switch to blades or stick to ski....'
ski holidays
Stephen Neal, oh ok then Wink

ise, well on the bits in the west where we are there are plenty of them out there for people to ask

comprex, oooops
ski holidays
Stephen, I don't care that you don't care about my safety concerns etc but I do care about newcomers safety. You may well be an expert on blades (you have had half the time that I've had on them). I see many inexperienced bladers 'on the limit' and beyond their capabilities and they are much more likely to be involved in an 'incident' than you and in that 'incident' they are statistically much more likely to be injured if they are on non-releasables. My only worry, by your post, is that you are promoting falsely, the safety of non-releasables. Oh, by the way, a good friend works in the medical centre here in the Serre Che and sees many (a much higher percentage of accidents involving n/reseasable bindings on blades, than any other piste activity) victims sent to hospital.
Releasable bindings can be adjusted so that they won't release anyway. They are a superior fixing that don't require the stupid strap system that needs to be clipped to the boot. But thats another argument.
ski holidays
Stephen Neal, DIN settings are adjustable. Anyone (yes, even you) would be safer on releasable bindings with properly set DINs.
latest report
chris, perfectly put.
snow report
Stick to skiing. Little Angel
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, you don't fancy doing the haute route on blades? NehNeh
latest report
Tim Brown, Yeah, for a worthy charity, you game? Little Angel
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, yeah. But should we take Stephen with us? He'd slow us down I reckon. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Tim Brown, We could put him on some Sumo's or i have a pair of Pontoon's he could test. Little Angel
snow conditions
chris, I suggest you save your nannying lecturing to newcomers and hospital patients - and stop wagging your obscure statistics around. You can produce the same argument on any snow sport activity. Whether they have releasable bindings on or not. Only this afternoon I was talking to a guy who told me that a friend of his chipped a bone on the side of his knee as a result of one of his ski bindings releasing prematurely - he had to have a pin put in..
latest report
Stephen Neal, I'd suggest snowsports are dangerous and accidents therefore follow, as the user will be using certain equipment when it happened not enough can be known about the circumstance to state whether the same injury may have been sustained with alternative equipment. Now get back on your skis before to start walking like an ape. Little Angel
snow conditions
Stephen Neal, chris was quite within his rights to challenged your assertions.
latest report
Stephen Neal wrote:
Okay guys, let's get something straight. I don't give a hoot about all your safety concerns

Fair enough. Excuse me if I take your posts with the same amount of interest.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair, I think this guy may not come back to Snowheads. Mis-directed passion? I think he just want's to make his point. Little Angel
snow conditions
Stephen, yes you are right about my nannying lectures. In fact you have given me a new outlook on life. I've just disconnected my airbags in the car and I'm not gonna wear a seatbelt anymore (I can't believe the obscure stats on road deaths). I'll replace my ski bindings and just for good measure araldite my boots to the bindings just to make sure the don't come off-ever.
Seriously though we just have different opinions and if you feel safer in your bindings that's your choice.
snow report
chris, there is apparently a different binding coming out for blades that is not "classic" releaseable or non releaseable binding - there was a slight discussion about it elsewhere.

Guys everyone has a right to choose, however I do believe that in some cases people have been fortunate with none releaseables and others have not been as fortunate with releaseables. Personally I go for releaseables.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, the site is snowHead not long planks for all Wink
snow report
obelix67, Agreed, what makes you think i think differently? Little Angel
ski holidays
obelix67, I have non-releasables on my blades, but they are the very short original snowblades (no idea how long, but not very). I don't have a problem with this, but I do agree that on the longer shorties a releasable binding is a good idea.
snow report
easiski, doesn't everything 1000mm and above, in length, have to have releasables?
snow report
Tim Brown, Quite likely, but you can always change your bindings, and you may well be able to buy shorties without bindings as per normal skis. Stephen Neal had apparetnly changed his!
snow conditions
My mate loves his snowblades, he can carve 360's on them , go down incredibly steep verts on the heels , as they sink deep in powder . I hate them , i cant set them on a shoosh , they get speed wobbles and kill my knees real quick. For girls who are timid i would reccomend 120cm skis, and probably no poles.
I spent a week trying to teach a girl who was scared of speed to ski , IN the end we ended up on almost a childs ski, The other problem is lack of proper ski fitness traing , leading to muscle fatigue and lockout , when your scared you tense up , thus fatigue even quicker . IMO its very hard to convince people that they arnt going to die if they take a tumble. Same as mountain biking , windsurfing , water skiing .
If you can find 2 or 3 others of a similar standard to take ESF lessons , you will benefit alot more , the price is much more competitve allowing 2 or 3 2 hour sessions.
I hate seeing people bullied into sports they are not comfortable with , I allways used to be last up the hills on my mountain bike . The others would set off as soon as i arrved at the top . So they had a 5 min rest and recover session , I had 5 seconds , so just went backwards. Better now tho
ski holidays
easiski, yes, at the point of sale, i meant.
latest report
Tim Brown wrote:
easiski, doesn't everything 1000mm and above, in length, have to have releasables?

Depends on boot, tibia length and ramp angle if you wan't to be sure, HEAVY MAN. Little Angel
latest report
(SMALLZOOKEEPER SAID:), Stephen Neal, I'd suggest snowsports are dangerous and accidents therefore follow, as the user will be using certain equipment when it happened not enough can be known about the circumstance to state whether the same injury may have been sustained with alternative equipment. Now get back on your skis before to start walking like an ape.

SMALLZOOKEEPER... it is obvious to me that you are aware of the colour of my skin. Therefore I take great offence of your last sentence. It is sad that I can't make genuine volatile arguments without the likes of your kind resorting to racist insults! You should be ashamed of yourself.. I thought the Snowheads site held members who were far beyond such ignorance and viciousness. I think you should spend less time making negative, inane comments on other peoples posts, and more time making your own positive comments.[/u]
snow conditions
Hmm - I read SZK as meaning before you became any more unevolved (as you are backing 'old' technology) rather than anything to do with your real world life....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy