Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the biggest Ski Backpack you can use for handluggage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been looking round for a pack to use as my hand luggage on the plane and that will double as a fairly lightweight slackcountry pack.

In the past I've had packs of around 20/25L that do this easily, but I noticed that they sell square (none skiing) packs that are a smidge under the 56x45x25cm rule that have a quoted capacity of 40L Shocked

This prompted me to have a quick google, but apart from Osprey, no other manufacturers seem to quote external dimensions.

Not wanting to get too greedy, but what (in capacity) is the biggest pack that doesn't fall foul of the luggage Nazis?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There’s unfortunately no guarantee, as different airlines have different restrictions on size/weight. FlyBe have a really weird restriction on size but allow 10kg, some only allow 5kg and EasyJet seem to allow everything up to, and including, the kitchen sink.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I just used a RAB 50L kit bag with harness. The 50L version of this. https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/rab-kit-bag-120l-E2314353.html?colour=123

On BA without any hassle. These squashable kit bags are great because if you are worried, simply under all and squash.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've had this for a few seasons . . .

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Dakine_DLX_Cargo_Pack_SkiSnowboard_BootHelmet_Bag_55L_Black-(111149)

55x35x30 . . .its got compression straps so as long as you dont overload it'll be fine . . .fits overhead lockers on aircraft easy. Unfortunately it may be discontinued ad the replacement 55l Boot pack is way chunkier (and a struggle in overheads as witnessed by the bloke that had one sitting next to me on the plane this season)

I wear this on my back with size 11 ski boots and loads of other sh*te . . .its ALWAYS overweight (the bag itself is fairly heavy) however I've never been checked and its served several ski and business trips admirably . . .easily big enough for a long weekend skiing . . .
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As long as the pack doesn’t have a fixed structure, you can go as large as you like and just not fill it (or fill it with squishy things). I often use a 70L Golite backpack like this one: https://mytrailco.com/collections/packs/products/backpack-light-70l

Being huge, it makes it easy to carry all the kids jackets jumpers etc. round the airport, but it’s lack of structure means that you can squash it into almost any bag sizer. It’s also a proper rucsac if you need it’s capabilities.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I travel with this one now, as it fits all the airlines I travel with, and the clamshell design means it can carry a whole lot of stuff easily and neatly.

https://www.wardow.com/uk/timbuk2-travel-jet-pack-weekend-bag-multicolour-474-3-4730.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAlfnUBRBQEiwAWpPA6bki9dNjzUdKDTm_gqcIlSFCowwW6ZvuJ8LVZFoKHI_EGQBI3k1UChoCZPIQAvD_BwE
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’ve used a Dakine Altitude 40L for years, as I can get my ski boots (28.5) into it Tetris style. I’ve had it weighing 15Kg+ and never been questioned.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I travel with a 70l race backpack, which is just outside the dimensions for carry on but I manage to get away with it several times a month including airlines like easyJet, Ryanair & wizz. Have to squash it into the overhead but it always fits. Do airlines ever measure them? I've never been asked to put it into that thing at the boarding gate, and what can they do if it doesn't fit? Just put it into the hold?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy