Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow chain size confusion

Poster: A snowHead
How exact do you need to be with snow chain sizes? We have never actually needed to use them so are a bit clueless.

We have a set of Penwag Brenta 9 XMB 73 snow chains from our last car and are getting a bit confused working out if they will fit our current car.

Our current tyre size is: 225/50 - R17

There is a list on the side of the box which says the tyre sizes they will fit. Ours is not listed, but there is such a wide range that we are wondering if they'd actually be ok. The list goes from 195/80-14 up to 225/40-18. It includes 225/45-17 and 225/50-16 which seem very close to our current size.

Any thoughts?

I apologize if this is a really silly question and I know we could just go and try them on!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe. The outside diameter of your 225/50 R17 will be about 25.9". 225/40 R18 is just over 25".

(((225 x 0.5) / 25.4) x 2) + 17 = 25.86"

Go & try them!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One thing I would say is don't make any assumptions. We did once in similar circs and found they didn't fit. Fortunately we were able to buy some of the correct size in resort but it was a dumb move.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Our snowchains from the previous vehicle didn't fit on the new ones, different tyre sizes but both were listed on the box. Good job we checked on the drive before we left.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you both!

We will give them a go. Sounds like there is hope.

@Layne, totally agree. Despite never needing them before, when you need them you need them!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just seen this - did you try them - they are marginally too small as your tyres are 5mm deeper than the 225/45R17 that are listed. Depending on the chain type you may still fit them or they may be just too tight
For sure check on the drive before you set off
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Farnham_Red wrote:
Just seen this - did you try them - they are marginally too small as your tyres are 5mm deeper than the 225/45R17 that are listed. Depending on the chain type you may still fit them or they may be just too tight
For sure check on the drive before you set off

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately they did not fit. My husband spent 2 hours on the drive in the rain last weekend trying. He even took the front tyre off the car in case he was just trying to put them on wrong! Oh and he tried them on my car to see if they would fit that. Its a good job they didn't or we might be trying to drive to the alps in a Juke!

A new set have been ordered. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thats a shame -but at least you checked and you know if you have a new set you won't need them. Have a good holiday
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Farnham_Red wrote:
Thats a shame -but at least you checked and you know if you have a new set you won't need them. Have a good holiday

Absolutely! And thank you.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It would be great if someone had a "Snow Chain" swap shop.
Perhaps they have.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DrLawn wrote:
It would be great if someone had a "Snow Chain" swap shop.
Perhaps they have.

Why not here ?

I have some that would be free to anyone that wants them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I offered my last 4 sets of chains on here and no takers - when we moved house recently I 'weighed them in' at the local scrap yard (sorry, metal recycling facility) and got a few quid for them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When are going and are you travelling from Dover??
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boredsurfin, I have a stupid number of sets of chains in my bike shed. I would gladly donate them to the ‘swap the chain’ thread.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have 2 sets for 225/50/17 - Mines a Audi A4 2016 - used 1 set going up the valley to Val D'Isere in Jan - Chains are Type 100 - 12mm to fit
215/70-14, 195/80-15, 215/70-15, 225/65-15, 235/60-15, 215/60-16, 225/55-16, 235/50-16, 245/45-16, 215/50-17, 215/55-17, 225/50-17, 235/45-17, 225/45-18, 235/40-18, 235/35-19

I'm in Dover near the Port. You're welcome to borrow on a "You break/lose them, you replace them" trust basis

As always, if you can practice putting them on, do so and then do it again if the weather looks like you're going to need them.

I wont mention what happen to us (4 seasoned ski drive guys) - I'll save that for another day...
snow conditions
@Markpoint, thank you so much for your kind offer. Unfortunately we are in South Wales and lol be traveling from Folkestone. I really want to hear your story though!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy