Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cross country holidays

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have only had one lesson so far (second today) and already feeling in my bboppneess that this might be a new direction for me. I love the quiet and beauty of the experience with no jostling ski lifts or scraping boarders behind me (no offense, we boatd too)
My question is this. Can anyone recommend a tried and tested x countfy touring type holiday in a group?
I ski alone now since my husnand cant accompany me any more. I tag on to people on lifts for downhill and have no trouble finding ski mates at resorts when family or friends cant come with me. But i imagine x country would be different and i dont think i'd fancy heading off alone.
Big preamble to ask if anyone knows a decent outfit that organises this kind of thing. I fancy a luxury holiday where your stuff is transported for you lodging to lodging - (unless you can take a small rucsac) and you ski part of a big mountain range. Either that or based somewhere with a variety of xc trails.
I'm 64 so i wondered also about organised over 60s grohps...
Any general thoughts welcomed.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haha that word should be bones but i must say i prefer bboppnees 🤣
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try Jules - google "Tracks and Trails" - if their x country ski holidays are anywhere near as good as her tuition you should have a great time. Their latest newsletter shows they still have availability.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are some great-looking XC holidays in Norway - mostly going out from a base, so folks can choose different lengths of trek. Glad you're enjoying it, @poppyb. I've thought of one of those holidays too but would need to be sure of not having to over-stretch myself and end up holding up a group - so embarassing. The most I've done in one day is about 22 kms - mostly up hill on the way out and mostly down hill (so much more scary....) on the way back. That was at the end of a week of lessons - and that might be your best next step. Les Saisies would be a good place to do that - one of the top French XC resorts with runs to test even the most technically competent skiers. But in my experience everybody else is French - my French is not great, but adequate for the purpose and I've found people in the XC area unfailingly friendly and sociable - different vibe, really.

And you get to see some quite wonderful lycra-clad bodies skating effortlessly uphill past you. Never saw so many impressive glutes..... Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haha thanks @pamw
i already clocked the lycra on the trails here. I guess i'll need a whole new ski wardrobe. Even my alpine ski gloves were too chunky to fit into the sticks pockets.
22k sounds SO far!
I'll have to check out the Norwegian holidays and Les Saisies. Did you take private x country lessons there?
My lesson went well today but it was mainly confidence building. I'm amaxed how few of the downhill skills are transferable!
I'm wondering if dry ski slopes like in Norwich offer x country lessons.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@poppyb, Inntravel and Exodus used to do cross-country ski holidays so it might be worth looking at what they offer. Seefeld in Austria is a great place to learn to cross-country skiing. There is some downhill but the place is really well set up for cross-country with lessons and ski hire readily available. You can get by with walking kit. I use North Face polartec tights, a merino layer, a windproof gilet and a lightweight windproof top, and lightweight windproof polartec gloves. I also get to use my collection of woolly hats which have have been replaced by a helmet for downhill. Hope you enjoy!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks I'll check it all out.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://tracks-and-trails.com/index.php/eng/About-Us

Lindsay Cannon, one of the diretors taught is skating. She’s great.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy