Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian ideas please - doable from Munich...

Poster: A snowHead
Seeking the wisdom of the collective please...! Trying to work out a decent sized Austrian destination that's (ideally) within 2hrs of Munich airport for a long weekend (Feb 2019).

Places we've done:

- Mayrhofen (worked really well, good transfer time)
- Saalbach (great place but transfer too long)
- Gerlos (worked well)
- Kitzbuhel (excellent as snow was good - but actually longer transfer than Mayrhofen)

Ideally we'd like somewhere new - mix of skiers / boarders and all decent intermidiots. Was looking at Kaltenbach but worried the town's too small and not enough apres (group of 8 who do like a tipple or 3). Places like Solden are too far.

Soll's been mentioned but discounted as one of us has been there before and was underwhelmed.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@schnitzel_skier, you are kind of restricting yourself if the Sölden transfer is too long. Also, I'm surprised to hear that Kitz took longer than Mayrhofen. They should be about the same.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Schladming or Flachau both great skiing and just over 2 hours from Munich.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@schnitzel_skier, don't discount the SkiWelt just because one person didn't like Soll. The ski area is actually really good and has a lot of variety. As for Soll itself, it has a lot of fans due to the excellent apres options, even though the lift is a way out of town and needs a bus to get there in the morning. If the issue was more the town than the slopes, how about Scheffau or Ellmau instead?

Or for a long weekend, why fly into Munich and drive for 2-4 hours each way with regular traffic issues when you could fly to Salzburg or Innsbruck instead and be in Flachau or Mayrhofen within 45 minutes?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the responses - Solden looked to be over 3hrs from memory...

Salzburg / Innsbruck not an option - excellent flight times from Manchester to Munich allow 4 days on the snow for only using 2 days of holiday.

I was surprised Kitzbuhel took 2hrs - Mayrhofen was a little over 1.5hrs - maybe it's motorway for a longer proportion of the journey?

Schladming has been mentioned before but not Flachau - so will take a look at those.

Cheers
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
schnitzel_skier wrote:
Was looking at Kaltenbach but worried the town's too small and not enough apres (group of 8 who do like a tipple or 3).

Don't dismiss the apres ski at Kaltenbach, see http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/kaltenbach-hochzillertalhochfuegen-ski-optimal/test-result/apres-ski/. The Postalm in particular is excellent.

I've stayed at the Hotel Alpina in the adjacent village of Ried which I can recommend, the ski bus to Kaltenbach stops right outside the hotel so if you fancy some apres ski no need to drive. Smile. https://www.alpina-ried.at/en
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.zugspitzarena.com/en/region/villages/lermoos

under 2 hours drive, lovely area and easy to get about.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kaltenbach did feel a little small. The bar at the bottom of the Hochzillertal gondolas seem to kick off about 3.30pm with rather "pumping" music and jolly Austrians. There is also a little bar humming away at the end of the day, that can only be accessed by taking the Stenfan Eberharter (Piste 1 black/red) piste down or getting off at the gondola mid station and hiking up a bit, that looked intriguing.

Didnt see much more thereabouts but wasnt seeking it out either nor did we try either. But lots of hotels around that would have bars.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@northantsred, agree about lermoos. Not sure it's going to come up to expectations wrt apres though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like Fugen might be the place to try in 2020 when it's linked by lift to the Hochzillertal / Kaltenbach area!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@schnitzel_skier, Zell am See perhaps?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@schnitzel_skier, does it have to be munich why not salzburg or innsbruck ?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
schnitzel_skier wrote:
Looks like Fugen might be the place to try in 2020 when it's linked by lift to the Hochzillertal / Kaltenbach area!

At 1,000m above the valley floor, dont look down.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Munich_snow_reports.html
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ski for fun, It does really due to flight options out of Manchester (leave Friday evening / return late on Tuesday). Plus Lufthansa allow boarders in the group to take their equipment without being charged for it. Might also see if Zurich or Geneva could work...

@altis, That's useful - will take a look, thanks!

@red 27, Not considered that - will check transfer time.
snow report
@red 27, apres isn't great in Zell.

It's a shame Ischgl is 2 hours 40 from Munich, because that would be ideal. Probably worth the extra 40 mins to go there.

Or go here just for teh LOLs: http://zugspitze.de/en/winter/mountain/fumble Blush Blush Blush
snow report
@HoneyBunny, he'd have to walk up. No lifts in Winter. Other than that, yep, good choice.
latest report
@HoneyBunny, Ive always been amused by the fact there's a lift called the Wankbahn....!

More seriously, is Garmisch any good or too "inconvenient" for accessing the slopes?
snow report
@schnitzel_skier, Garmisch? Some love it, some hate it. I belong to the first category. But it's not a ski village, it's a town with 26K inhabitants.
Good for a few days especially if you combine with Ehrwald & Lermoos on the other side of the Zugspitze.

What do you mean by 'inconvenient'? No ski in ski out, but there are buses...
latest report
@Steilhang, Thanks - I mean is it a lot of hassle making your way to the lifts? Do people take the train (or bus...) in ski boots or is it a case of leaving stuff at the base?

On the mountain, is it T-bars and slow chairs or is it more modern? Can you do Ehrwald / Lermoos in a day from Garmisch?

Cheers
snow conditions
@schnitzel_skier, I'm assuming you will have a car, in which case Lermoos / Ehrwald is 20 minutes drive. In Garmisch itself you see plenty of people in ski gear waiting for the bus. Not sure about ski depots, I'm always there in my car cos it's just down the road from me.
I think Ehrwald & Lermoos can be done by train from Garmisch but I have no experience.
ski holidays
Hmm, Ischgl from Munich in 2 hours 40 seems a little optimistic. Took us nearer five this year, but then heavy snow was an issue.
latest report
@Ghost Dog, MUC to Ischgl should be about 3h30.
ski holidays
@schnitzel_skier, there are ski depots at the base stations in Garmisch, Ehrwald and Lermoos, and on the Zugspitze.

Most of the lifts are modern fast chairs.
There are still some T-bars, but last time I was there I managed to ski all the mountain without taking one.
The train goes from Garmisch to Ehrwald. A bus takes about 10 minutes to get to Ehrwalder Alm from the station, and about 15 minutes to get to Lermoos.
latest report
I was half way into typing Soll until I read that one of your party was underwhelmed.

I have been twice and loved it. In my opinion it sounds perfect for what you have requested. You can get a near direct train from Munich and a £15 taxi to Soll town.

The Apre ski is brilliant and the SkiWelt is ideal for almost any level of Skiier and Boarder.

+1 For Soll and ignore your friend Razz
snow conditions
We went to Flachau this year from Munich. It took longer (almost 3 hrs) than when we went to Saalbach (2.25 hrs) the previous year. But well worth it. Very good Apres and planty of decent skiing for a few days. We also loved Saalbach. I would have thought Kitzbuhel would be the shortest transfer.
snow report
Jhead91 wrote:
I was half way into typing Soll until I read that one of your party was underwhelmed.

I have been twice and loved it. In my opinion it sounds perfect for what you have requested. You can get a near direct train from Munich and a £15 taxi to Soll town.

The Apre ski is brilliant and the SkiWelt is ideal for almost any level of Skiier and Boarder.

+1 For Soll and ignore your friend Razz

Whereas I was also pretty underwhelmed by Soll and the Skiwelt. I've been twice, first time was fine as I was new-ish to skiing we stayed in Ellmau. The second time I just didn't enjoy the pistes anywhere near as much as when I've visited Saalbach, Ski Amade, Kitzbuhel and many places not in Austria.
snow conditions
hammerite wrote:

Whereas I was also pretty underwhelmed by Soll and the Skiwelt. I've been twice, first time was fine as I was new-ish to skiing we stayed in Ellmau. The second time I just didn't enjoy the pistes anywhere near as much as when I've visited Saalbach, Ski Amade, Kitzbuhel and many places not in Austria.

That's the beauty of this forum I suppose! Everyone has had different experiences and likes/ dislikes different aspects of any resort or holiday! Soll was the first place I ever went to Ski so i suppose its a little bias as I have fond memories of me repeatedly falling on my face and somehow enjoying it!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for this - all useful.

Based on current group debate, we might be going back to Mayrhofen...
snow report
Based on 15 years or so day and weekend trips from Munich a few thoughts.

You must have been very lucky to do MUC to Mayrhofen in 1.5 hours, it takes around 30 mins from the Autobahn junction to Mayrhofen and assuming driving legally (unless you have a UK licence very bad idea to break the 100km speed limit in Tirol) around 1.5 hours from there to MUC. Kitzbuhel is normally about 1.5 - 2 hours.

Saalbach is a long way but you could stay in Fieberbrunn much near to Munich, linked into the Saalbach skiing with a recent lift, not so much apres ski partying though.

Sport Amade is good, lots of variety usually good snow but I would say 2 to 2.5 hours drive, pretty much all Autobahn, though watch for queues at Austrian / German border on way back.

I like Skiwelt but normally only go there January or if good conditions in December, snow not so good later in the season. Not hugely challenging but good for short trips. You could try Brixen, not so far as Kitzbuhel but you can ski the Kitzbuhel area via Ki West. There are buses or even the trains along the valley to avoid stress of making the last lifts back. The run parallel to the Skiwelt bahn is a really nice long red with a black bit in the middle, the run down on the other (south facing) side is always rubbish, no matter what the snow conditions, best avoided by anyone not a confident skier.

I used to do day trips to both Ischgl & St Anton but not keen on so much driving in a day anymore. Given quiet roads you can do the trip in 2.5 hours via Garmisch but 3 hours or so is more realistic. Why not fly to Zurich and then St Anton (or a number of other Vorarlberg resorts) can be reached in 2 hours.

There are lots of smaller resorts, all much the same eg St Johann in Tirol, Waidring, Alpbach, Bayerisch Zell, the ones near Innsbruck etc nothing out of the ordinary, you would be better off at Kitzbuhel.

I am not so keen on Garmish, the skiing is very fragmented.

I have not skied in Mayrhofen itself but have been to Gerlos / Zillertal arena. It was fine but no better than other resorts nearer to Munich.

Personally, especially after the end of February, I would accept the extra bit of driving and head for either Ischgl or St Anton.

Note, driving times assume a car with minimal or no stops, coaches will take longer, Saturday morning heading south and Sunday heading back to Munich add around an hour to journey times.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, It might have been 1h45 (fair bit below 2hrs but didn't feel much more than 1.5 (although we'd had beers on the plane)). It was a Tirol Taxi / 4 Seasons minibus so guess they know the best routes.

We'll be heading to resort on a Friday night, leaving Munich airport around 9pm. Journey back will be a Tuesday - needing to be at the airport around 8pm. It will be second weekend of February - so hopefully the lower resorts are still a reasonably safe gamble.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy