Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva airport CLOSED

Poster: A snowHead
@Jonny996, Thanks. Unfortunately they were done as 2 singles so I think I'll just have to let it go ( or wait and see if they cancel it too )
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A40 has reopened but is "impassible" according to motorists around Bellegarde. Motorways in the Haute-Savoie/Savoie remain "difficult" and secondary roads are "gridlocked". #snowmaggedon.

Authorities are blaming the unexpected low altitude snow and advise drivers to "stay at home" today.

A41 towards Annecy

A43 Lyon Chambery
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Our resourceful bus company Flixbus is proposing taking us over via Les Rousses as currently no traffic is being allowed onto the A40 from the west. Should be interesting!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@WindOfChange, 2 singles - they will class her as a "no show".
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm due to fly into Geneva from Luton tomorrow AM. I was going to ring my insurers to ask...but I imagine they're busy speaking with people who actually have issues at present, so don't want to clog up their phone lines.

Does anyone know what Easyjet's obligations are if my flight is cancelled due to UK/Swiss weather? I'd like to do whatever possible to get to my destination at as little additional cost to me as possible. Are Easyjet likely to just refund me if the flight is cancelled or are they obligated to do more?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@milzibkit, They are obliged to offer another flight (which can if necessary be from another airport) however, there may well be practical difficulties if GVA is shut with this in which case you will get a refund. Make sure you are hovering over the app as their later flights may well get booked up quickly. Luton should be clear of snow tomorrow, but there is a decent chance of freezing fog until mid morning which would slow things up. Geneva is expecting more snow. Print of a copy of the EU Directive 261/2004.

Meanwhile it is now 2 degs in GVA and things are returning to normal for those flights operating.

@davidof, Having looked at the differing models last night I had a feeling something was amiss with MF, they were giving far warmer temps around Lyon/GVA than Meteo Suisse and GFS. Guess their model expected the SWerlies to get a bit further. Not many miles in it!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, Oh well 30CHF - that's only 1 G&T in the Kempinski Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@valais2, ah hah, thanks for the info

@chocksaway, clearly red faces this AM for Meteo Chance but at least it meant more snow in the ski resorts rather than nasty rain.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Big thumbs up to Rentalcars.com and Easyjet on how they handled the last 24 hours - weekend trip now not happening and they were great even if they didnt get us to intended destination. Will use both again.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gvj wrote:
Our resourceful bus company Flixbus is proposing taking us over via Les Rousses as currently no traffic is being allowed onto the A40 from the west. Should be interesting!
The power of sat nav, that route will be more than interesting in those conditions.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TBF the road thru Les Rousses is a commuter route used by 100's of Frontaliers, normally it's alright ( but a little twisty ).
We use it sometimes when going up towards Dijon.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, Quick slightly off topic question, but is Genoa more prone to aborted landings and planes being diverted than other airports? It's just that when meeting people off flights there, 2 lots have landed in Pisa and one lot in Turin. Departing visitors have also been bused to Milan as their flight couldn't land. A friend had an aborted landing there yesterday & ended up in Pisa. (I wasn't picking her up). These are all in the last year. Just seems a lot to me!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@WindOfChange, I was thinking bus a la Italian Job 😉
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@genepi, Have you got Genoa and Geneva confused?

I expect cross winds could be a big issue in Genoa.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arrived at Stansted airport to catch 1pm flight to Geneva to go and watch the girls race in the British schools champs , EasyJet wouldn’t let us check in and told us the flight had been cancelled , to rebook and join the 30m Q , decided to get taxi home and hot foot it in the car and claim refund .Halfway through Kent start getting texts telling me to go Gate 20 sorry for the delay . Flight was reinstated ! EasyJet asked us how they had done today , you can imagine our reply .
Really wonder how many were on the flight !
snow conditions
@Steve Sparks, No, I mentioned it was an off topic query.
snow conditions
@genepi, Sorry not familiar with the peccadilloes of Genoa. Next time I am in the pub in the UK I will ask the collective wisdom of YALPA (the Yorkshire Airline Pilots Association)
latest report
@chocksaway, Very Happy
snow conditions
Just so as you don't all fret ..... wink . Our bus driver got us to Geneva virtually on time and earned a round of applause from his passengers. We didn't end up emulating The Italian Job but it was a close run thing at times. Over 30 hours of travelling puts the annoyances of air travel in a new perspective.
ski holidays
Quite a few cancellations this morning and its just started snowing.

Sadly its going to be a long day for some.
latest report
@WindOfChange, we were cancelled on again this morning... that makes 8 cancelled flights each.

Next possible departure with Easy on Monday.

Brussels had one at 12:00 and Easy said they’d pick up the difference (about gbp 500).

So I booked. 2 of 5 last seats out today.

Business Class.

Hehe.

We will see if they actually pay out. We will see if we actually arrive.

We have spent about 9 hours on the phone to them...
ski holidays
Sitting in Birmingham airport at the minute, waiting for my flight to Geneva - currently listed at 4.5 hour delay (Easyjet).

2 friends were flying out last night from 2 different London airports. One was an hour late I think, the other had his flight cancelled.
Also spotted a Thomas Cook from Birm to GVA this morning, meant to leave at 6am, now delayed to 16.00 Shocked Glad I'm not on that one!

Ah well, I've plenty of work to get done, and they gave me a meal voucher - which will cover maybe a bowl of chips. I'll hit a bar later.
snow conditions
mis post

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 3-03-18 12:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@fixx, last nights Easyjet Birm>GVA 18.25 was listed as leaving at 19.20 on the boards right up until about 22.00 when it was finally cancelled. It was obvious to everyone in the airport that it wasn't going, but they all had to hang around as the roads got worse outside until the cancellation was official.
snow conditions
Ah ha Rob Mackley - a specialty of EJ - nearly got done at Verona a while back - lady at checkin desk advised flight delay as did the Boards and even wrote a revised flight time of 1900 hours (this was an 1100 original timed flight) on the Boarding Pass. We disappeared back into Verona for the day but quite by chance, as we decided we needed a hotel at Gatwick, checked the EJ site only to find the outward flight to Verona was in the air and the return flight had been reretimed to 1250pm. Taxi asap!

Oh and of course it is not (sarcastic) EJ's fault - it is their handling agents giving you misleading information - except I was always taught an agent could bind a principal.

Anyway for various reasons including this and other disasters befalling my OH with EJ - they are now my airline of last resort.

I was sorry for you and your daughter to hear you missed the races - would be interested to hear whether EJ gave you a refund or they wriggled out of it on the grounds you should not have left the airport but got in a queue.
ski holidays
My flight yesterday LBA>GVA at 08.00 was cancelled, which I reckon was more to do with positioning from Thursday than conditions in LBA or GVA (as others flew).

I booked a MAN>GVA for lunch today, and a train Leeds to MAN.

But with the chaos at Birmingham stuffing my weekend plans anyway I can't be bothered with the hassle and have now booked another flight for 11.20 LBA>GVA tomorrow instead.

At least the low cost of the flights makes throwing the odd flight away not too ruinous.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 3-03-18 14:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@midgetbiker, Shock Thanks for the heads up.

Birmingham airport has just announced the cancellation of the FlyBe flights to Chambery and Geneva today. Hmmmm.

Edit: The Easyjet app is saying the reason for the delay isn't weather related, but rather a staff member being taken ill, and standby staff taking a while to get in... I'm hoping that means I might get somewhere.

Edit 2: Geneva airport is showing of the 3 EJ flights Birm to Gva today, the middle one is cancelled, but first and last still scheduled.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 3-03-18 12:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Traffic doesn't look too clever either... Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@fixx, hope you get on one of those EZY flights and good luck at other end if you do. Do you have a bolthole overnight in or near GVA lined up if you get there? Doesn't look too clever for getting up any serious mountains in France/Switz today?
ski holidays
@PeakyB, thanks. Transfer company is aware of the delay, and if we can't move from Geneva airport, I've a few friends living in the city I can call up (I used to live there myself). Friend who made it last night says the snow is decent today, and should be awesome tomorrow, so I'm rather keen to get there snowHead

@under a new name, hope your travel is going a little more smoothly today, and EJ hold up their end of the agreement re. payments.
latest report
@fixx, yeah me too otherwise I am somewhat out of pocket. We at least appear to have an operating aircraft...
snow report
I’m due to fly on tuesday morning... thinking the worst of this should be passed by then. Taking the train from GVA to Bourg St Maurice - anyone know the trains are doing ?
snow report
Quote:

Edit 2: Geneva airport is showing of the 3 EJ flights Birm to Gva today, the middle one is cancelled, but first and last still scheduled.

That's what they did initially yesterday. The first one took of a little delayed, and despite GVA being closed at the time. It landed at GVA ok as by the time it got across they had just opened. The second flight was cancelled, I'm guessing as they realised with delays they'ld never complete 6 sectors? The last flight was scheduled to go out, but the weather in Birmingham went sideways and it was subsequently cancelled.
latest report
@midgetbiker, ah, interesting. The weather was indeed horrible here yesterday evening - defintely got worse as the day went on. I was working from home - ventured outside to the (thankfully close) corner shop once, then refused to go out again Laughing
snow report
Got excited for a minute - they announced a gate, but by the time I got there, there was nothing happening, departure time has been pushed back by another hour, and they've removed all reference to the gate, saying it'll be announced later rolling eyes Laughing

I have power, movies, work to do, a seat, and food. It'll be fine.
latest report
@midgetbiker, GVA actually closed at 9AM yesterday for a couple of hours so maybe that was it with no further slots available. When GVA is at max capacity the locos seem to lose out on the slots.

It is now raining at Geneva so it shouldn't get any worse, with 20 odd cancellations they should be able to cope. The roads from Albertville are another matter........
snow report
I'm on a plane Very Happy Very Happy

Now just have to get de-iced, get there, hope my transfer is running, and the roads are passable! Skullie

Good luck everyone else travelling.

Edit: FFS - 40mins after posting, still stuck as 13 people haven't shown up for the flight, after checking in. So have to wait for their bags to be offloaded. I've heard there are no seats left on Birm flights to GVA until Monday now, so not sure what so many people are playing at! Several people on this flight have been trying to fly for a few days too.
ski holidays
@fixx, that is unbelievable behaviour. Do you think they are in the bar. Hope their bags get left out in the snow but more importantly that you get to leave soon
snow conditions
@fixx, best of luck getting away, hopefu;;y worth it when you get there.

Wish me luck on an LBA departure tomorrow, BBC weather for LBA now showing snow from late this evening through tomorrow morning.

I assume that the MAN flight that I ditched went out ok, so I'll be very distressed if tomorrow doesn't happen as I judged that as a safer bet.
snow report
Don’t assume they missed it out of choice @fixx, my friend went to go through security at Gatwick yesterday and couldn’t - was told her flight was cancelled by two easyjet staff and all later flights were already overbooked- so she went home to find out it took off three hours later!! Happened at Stansted too apparently.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy