Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Offpiste in Wiltshire?

Poster: A snowHead
Last few days of cold weather and amber snow warnings off the Met Office have had me (foolishly) thinking of skiing the fields around my home.

Currently there's 10-20cm forecast for by Friday morning and I've scoped out a few steep hills with deep meadows and no rocks which sound all good to me, however I thought I pose the question to you lot on here.

Is this worth doing, quality of skiing aside? Further, is it even possible to do so??

If this post is in the wrong place please move, I'm still getting used to being a member of here Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If there is snow, you can ski. Do it, post some pics on here, and earn maximum Snowheads points for your efforts!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Watch out for frozen cows hit!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds like an ideal opportunity to try some ski touring
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@xsax, It's always worth skiing on local snow....even just to be able to bore folk in the future
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Do it !!!
I've skied Alexandra Palace in London when there's snow on the ground, this isn't a foolish plan it's a great idea.
Even better if you can find a steep hill with a road looping round it and a suitable driver (mug) to give you lifts up to do laps.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@xsax, do it I've skied many a time on the South Downs
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
betterinblack wrote:
Do it !!!
I've skied Alexandra Palace in London when there's snow on the ground, this isn't a foolish plan it's a great idea.
Even better if you can find a steep hill with a road looping round it and a suitable driver (mug) to give you lifts up to do laps.

Ooh, interesting idea about Ally Pally.

I've been on the lookout for skiable places I can get to easily by train. I'm in Welwyn which doesn't mean really have much worth doing but Ally Pally is only a few stops. Might be worth the journey on Friday or something I guess.

Otherwise I'm building a jump in my garden Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@xsax, do it!
I have a picture [somewhere - can't find it when I want it] from about 10 years ago of me on my board, on a steep north-facing hill in the Kennet valley near Marlborough. The snow was about 8" deep and light (surprisingly light for the UK).

I don't think we're in for quite so much snow this week, but if we do then I'll be up for having another go.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do it Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Me in the local park last time we had decent snow.

http://youtube.com/v/_hoz5x00sNc

Short run but fun.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My lad has been out in the local skatepark, with shovel etc to enhance the features. All kids from school opposite came out to watch, some even wanted his autograph! Bit of video here.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfvnNPvlNth/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm similarly trying to work out where I might be able to get a sneaky ski in over the next few days. Not a lot of snow in my area at the moment but I live in hope. I'm sandwiched between the North and South Downs, so hopefully will be able to find somewhere there.

Weathercam wrote:
@xsax, do it I've skied many a time on the South Downs

@Weathercam - let me know if you have any good recommendations for the South Downs - I'm not as familiar with them as I am with the North Downs.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@cavegirl99, I've snowboarded down the field next to White Lane by Titsey Hill before. It's reasonably steep, long and grassy and that area often gets a lot of snow. I live and work in Croydon; not much here either but fingers crossed it snows all day tomorrow and I might head that way on Saturday morning before it melts.

51.283270, 0.021655 Theres even a streetview cutting across the field!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@cavegirl99, Findon West Sussex near the cricket club on a steep N Facing slope that's pretty obvious.

http://youtube.com/v/G2OHrTbVIlY
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
If there is snow, you can ski. Do it, post some pics on here, and earn maximum Snowheads points for your efforts!

^^ this.

You'll have great fun. If you don't believe me, look at the skiing in England/Wales threads Smile
latest report
Welcome to the forum @xsax,
Dont forget to go to the pub at the bottom of the hill in your ski boots & helmet ...
wander in and put some EuroPop on the Juke box
and order a Jager Tea.
Dance on the tables,
ski holidays
@xsax, Welcome to snowHeads. We skied at my mates farm in South Wiltshire back in 2000 was great fun until the cows decided to run over and see what was going on, they are very inquisitive, so we decided to call it a day ... snowHead
snow conditions
Being in South Wiltshire, 4 miles from the pile of old rocks, I had to do a 2 hour recce today of the local hills - I've found a potential pitch with a track up the side for access. Now where is the snow Toofy Grin
snow report
I tried this a few years ago. We have some good steep slopes. It didn’t really work. I’d underestimated just how much snow you actually need. If you have just a few inches you just end up cutting through the powder and grinding to a halt on the grass below. 😠
ski holidays
Someone on touring skis between Montpelier and la Grande Motte today. I'd imagine some sand dunes could offer some good skiing, especially as the sand would be a good base.

ski holidays
It's been 6 years since there was enough to cover the Mountains of Royston (just), and yet not cover the roads between here and there. As the temperature's really cold at the moment it bodes well.

I’d underestimated just how much snow you actually need.
Actually you need less if you're on perfectly manicured golf course grass...

https://vimeo.com/36607601
snow report
@xsax, had a go myself in Belfast today. There was 13cm on the ground before I left the house. I was in a park so the grass was neat and there were no rocks. I kept the turns pivoty and didn't edge too hard as it was pretty slow and gentle, but I didn't feel the grass below. With a steeper, longer hill it would've been amazing today, but well worth a trip nonetheless.

http://youtube.com/v/gWFiPFz6h3Q
snow conditions
I've been scoping out the gnarly off piste of Exeter, but so far haven't found anything that is both well cut and steep enough. There's a popular sledging field that's a good bet if it keeps snowing, but at the minute there are too many tufts of grass showing through Sad Will either get some lights and try night skiing, or more likely just wait until the morning.
snow conditions
cavegirl99 wrote:
I'm similarly trying to work out where I might be able to get a sneaky ski in over the next few days. Not a lot of snow in my area at the moment but I live in hope. I'm sandwiched between the North and South Downs, so hopefully will be able to find somewhere there.

Car park at the top of Reigate Hill leads to a sloping field doesn't it?
snow conditions
Some lovely deep lines in South Wiltshire today but ruined by freezing rain crust this morning. Most of the main roads are blocked too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy