Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl - Hidden Gem

Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from a week in Ischgl and was very impressed as a resort. Would thoroughly recommend it to everyone. It's a resort that few brits have hear d of, but we were all very impressed. Here's a quick summary for those who are interested.

Iscghl is located near the Swiss and Italian borders. About 15km (as crow flies) from St Anton. Nearest significant town is Landeck.

Ski Area

Ischgl's ski area is a number of connected bowls between the Austrian and Swiss (Samnuan) borders. There are 200km of lift-linked slopes, 90% of which are above 2000m, with a further 150km of slopes on the lift pass (free bus along the valley) in the resorts of Galtur, Kappl and See. Most of the skiing is above the tree line giving significant off-piste opportunities. There are also a number of nice tree-lined runs as you descend into the valley with the potential to ski right down into the heart of the resort. The resort is snow-board friendly without too many flat bits and a good park.

The Iscghl/Samnaun area has 38/127/45km of blue/red/black runs (+30km of ski-routes), which should be enough to keep skiers of all abilities entertained. There are easy blues from the main base at Idalp and over Alp Trida, with a number of reasonably challenging blacks and some good off-piste. Advanced skiers will be challenged, but if you're a couloir-hugging, free-ride adrenallin junkie who isn't happy unless you're jumping out of a helicopter down 89 degree slopes and boasting about it in the bar afterwards, then maybe look elsewhere. We didn't test the ski-schools (looked good/professional from a distance). Ski shops were excellent (did a great job of fixing my skis which I'd almost written off after trip 7 days before to 3V).

Lift Infrastructure

The lift infrastructure was fanstatic, and was rightly voted by this year's Reuter's "Where to ski & snowboard" as the best in Europe. Everything on the mountain is a 4, 6, and predominantly 8 seater fast detached hooded chairlifts. We went during Tyrolian & British half term week, and other than the base lift at 9am on the Monday morning (10 min queue) we barely queued all week. They've spent a staggering €120M over the last 5 years on lifts and it shows. Some French and Swiss resorts could learn a lesson or two.

Snow

With high altitude (90% of slopes above 2000m) and location give a long season (typically late november till start of May). We were very luck and got a big dump before we arrived, and also mid-week, with clear blue skies most of the rest of the time. Friday was probably the best snow conditions I'd every experienced.
Slopes were well groomed, but not overly so. During heavy snow days, they also re-groomed high-traffic blue runs during the day.

Price

Peak season 6 day pass (providing you're staying in Ischgl) is €177 for the entire Silvretta ski-area (350km of slopes). Prices on the mountain are all comparable to UK pub prices. We went in the most expesnive week in the season and were pleaseantly surprised. Spag Bol would be about €8, and a large (500cl) beer would be €4 on or off the mountain. We paid €70 pppn for B&B in a 3* hotel close (500m) to the lifts and the town centre which would be more like €55 during less busy weeks. We stayed in the Hotel Bellevedere, which I'd recommend as a good choice.

Apres-Ski

Excellent - especially if you're from the school of dancing on tables in ski-boots at 5pm in the afternoon. The resort is quiet though in the evening after about 8pm. With a number of establishments partying on into the morning from behind well sound-proofed doors.

Food

For a typical cost of €20-25 per head (including alchohol) we ate 2 course meals in good quality restaurants. Wide range, and managed to cater for all.

The Town

Town is very pretty, and a huge contrast after staying in Les Menuires two weeks ago. Big enough to be interesting, but small enough to walk from one end to the other. Built with consideration, and pretty although not as chocolate-boxy as somewhere like Zermatt. The Silvretta Center has big pool and wellness centre, which should pass the time well for a rest day, but a non-skier would get bored after a week.

The town has an upmarket, but yet fun and unpretensious feel to it. The resort is fairly germanic, but there was a notable english presence there and language was never a problem (e.g. with 5 words of German and a smile you would get by happily). Rough estimate would suggest 60% were German/Austrian/Swiss, 20% English, 10% Dutch & 5% Eastern European.

Getting There

Innsbruck (1hr), Munich (2.5hr) and Salzburg (2.5hs) all sensible choices. We took a longer transfer (3.5hrs) to Stuttgart, as it meant we could get flights for £70 (German Wings) during half-term week. We hired a minibus to pick us up. It's an easier resort than most to drive to, but ensure you have winter tyres & snow-chains in the boot.

Overall Price

Given we went during half term week. We paid £150 for flights & transfers. £300 for 6 nights accomodation (3* B&B near lifts), and £120 for lift-pass. Giving £570 cost before ski-hire, food & drink.

Summary

I've done 14 ski-trips the last 3 years including 3V, Zermatt, Portes du Soleil and other similar Austrian resorts like Saalbach and Soelden. On balance - I think I'd rate Ischgl as probably the best. Zermatt is prettier, 3V and PdS larger, but overall, I'd still rather go back to Ischgl.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kamikaze
.. keep it quiet, we don't want them all going there

... how much was the transfer and how did you organise it ??

6 of us are going there friday week for 4 days .. we usually hire a couple of cars from Munich airport, at about £50 a head, but i'd be interested to find out how much the minibus was
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kamikaze,

Never been, but often wonder why this resort doesn't have a bigger profile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kamikaze, good report, and good resort! Only one thing - why is it a hidden gem? Every ski guide book since at least the mid eighties, and probably well before that, has called Ischgl "undiscovered" etc, and certainly Brits do tend to go to the same dozen or so resorts all the time. But since Crystal and Inghams go....?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Worked season there in 1985 Very Happy

shame they have now trashed all the off-piste skiing with lifts Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Plake,

Well, I haven't heard much chat about it on here. But why? It does sound really good
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kamikaze, Great report, I shall copy and keep it to show our friends. This is at the top of our list for next season as it ticks all the right boxes. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When I went a couple of seasons ago I was surprised to find that we had to pay cash for the lift pass (maestro was also accepted) - not sure if it has changed, but be warned and be prepared if you need to buy a weeks pass for a largish group.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've heard some good things about Ischgl and fancied going there for next Christmas, but it seems really expensive compared to some other Austrian resorts. Like £300 or £400 more for a week in a 4 star hotel Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sounds like it might be a good place for late season / Easter - anybody been during April? And good to hear your comments on the busy-ness during half term...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RachelQ, it's a big, high ski area with loads of top class lifts, and a nice town, so you've got to compare it with the likes of St Anton and Lech, plus Vdi, Verbier etc and the other big hitters...it's going to be expensive to stay in a 4*! But you can stay in Samnaun, or Kappl/See, other places further down the valley to make it cheaper.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had two weeks there ages ago, it was very expensive then (even Germans we met thought so) and the top class in ski school was conducted in German. It didn't take credit cards, but was excellant for the skiing.

I didn't think it was still "hidden".

If you go, go on the nightly excursion to the Heidleburger (sp?) Hutte.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd heard that British TO's struggle to get reasonable accomdation there as it's all snapped up by the German ones.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
crispy wrote:
I'd heard that British TO's struggle to get reasonable accomdation there as it's all snapped up by the German ones.

It's not only TOs. I tried to get Ischgl accommodation in January. Those that I emailed, that actually bothered to reply, were fully booked. Bad Hofgastein was a lot easier to get sorted. I will admit I was looking for half board but I did not expect that to be an issue. As was also pointed out above, prices were considerably higher than other Austrian resorts - but I was prepared to pay the rates indicated on the websites.

I will get there sometime. I am not sure it is the easiest place for late bookings though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ray Zorro, I paid for lift pass with a Visa delta card. Austria has always been a bit slow with the uptake of credit cards (it's a cultural thing rather than a technical adoption).

Plake, Maybe hidden gem is the wrong phrase. As you're right the books mention it, but most people I speak to about it don't know about it or haven't gone.

In terms of cost, I didn't think it was expensive. UK pub prices everywhere, and I can't get a B&B in my home town (Cambridge) for the price of a 3* hotel there. In terms of booking accomodation, you will struggle outside main season unless its Sat->Sat, and it took a bit of finding, but it wasn't that difficult.
snow report
kamikaze,

Quote:

The resort is fairly germanic, but there was a notable english presence there and language was never a problem (e.g. with 5 words of German and a smile you would get by happily). Rough estimate would suggest 60% were German/Austrian/Swiss, 20% English, 10% Dutch & 5% Eastern European.

Certainily the mix has changed. When I was there it was 70% Scandinavian 30% German. German was the language in fact you couldnt get a job unless you spoke German. I was one of the only two Ex-pats in town Very Happy

I have been back a few times since but its never as good as the first season !
snow conditions
Ischgl was already quite a significant ski resort by the mid-1960s. I skied there in 1968, but actually stayed in Galtur, which is just up the valley. If you want a quieter (and maybe cheaper) holiday, Galtur is a good option, because you can travel the few miles to Ischgl and back daily on the bus.

kamikaze - I thought your report was really interesting and informative. Thanks for that.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy