Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on buying first pair of skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys.
I want to buy my first skis. In i have been in Val Thorens 2 weeks ago, and tried a few skis.
My height is 165 cm (5’5), weight 72kg(158 lb) and my skill level (according to an esf instructor) is level 3 (advanced).
I’m searching for all mountain skis that I will enjoy to carve with on the slopes (really important because I like to carve) but will be able to do a little bit of off piste. I have tried Head monster 88 (170 cm length) which I really enjoyed of. I also tried the Nordica NRGY 90 and it was nice, but liked more the Head.
Do you have any another recommendations to test?
And if you have any general tips on how to pick up a pair I’ll be glad to hear.
I will be in Mayrhopen soon, and I want to buy my first skis..
Also I have heard on (haven't try yet..):
* Atomic Vantage 90/100 CTI (I can't decide which one of them)
* Head kore 93

Many thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMO. With "a little bit of Off Piste", I would not go wider than early 90s at the waist....but around 88 might be best.

Other skis to consider:

Blizzard Brahma
Volkl Kendo
Rossignol Experience 88.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am looking at exactly the same brief, my short list is

Nordica Navigator 85 or 90
Salomon XDR 88

I think the descision is how much you want to compromise ease of on piste performance for float
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think that I am searching for more piste performance and good edge hold for carving rather than float, for those reasons, the Nordica Navigator isn't good for me. The Salomon XDR 88 TI, Volkl Kendo could be an option..
Honestly, I'm going towards the Atomic Vantage 90/100 CTI, what do you think guys?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would recommend that try the Brahmas, they're wide enough for a little dabble on the side but absolutely rip on the piste, especially if you drive them hard. I'd say they're a 70/30 ski in terms of on/off piste.

Atomic Vantage used to be my go-to rental prior to testing and buying my Brahmas.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 26-02-18 21:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
beny992 wrote:
I think that I am searching for more piste performance and good edge hold for carving rather than float, for those reasons, the Nordica Navigator isn't good for me. The Salomon XDR 88 TI, Volkl Kendo could be an option..
Honestly, I'm going towards the Atomic Vantage 90/100 CTI, what do you think guys?

If you really want to prioritize Piste Performance, then look at something like the Volkl RTM 84 (maybe 80/20 - On/Off)...otherwise the Vantage 90s offer a decent compromise (60/40).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@beny992, If you get a chance try the Salomon XDR's. The 88's could be just what you're looking for.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do what I did. Go in the shop, say, "Ooh, they're a bargain!" and buy them. (NOT!) Having said that, I lucked in and it turned out not to be a mistake. I got Volkl RTMs and I find them great on piste, and I have done a little off piste as well and they seemed to perform well enough.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy