Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on coming back to skiing after a break/injury

Poster: A snowHead
Just after some advice/thoughts please.

I've skied for many years on and off and recently due to injury I've had 4 years off and I'm now ready to get my boots and skis back on.

Whilst I'm really excited I'm also really nervous I won't be anywhere near the standard I left 4 years ago and that it will take me a long time to get back to it. I spent 2 years skiing (before injury) every week in the UK to a high standard/race level and also skiing abroad and with 4 years off I'm worried I will have forgotten everything.

Guess I'm just looking for any advice, reassurance or experiences

Thanks for reading
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
After skiing every year since the early 80s, I had 5 years off due to herniated disc and then surgery. I didn't know what to expect when I started back - but it was like riding a bike...so don't worry too much, as I expect it will be the same for you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am probably nowhere near your level of skiing. I had an ACL reconstruction, and was back on skis in 10months at the age of 62. I skied very carefully not wanting to undo my good work, and my surgeon's good work. Two years later, bring it on. My last ski holiday l was ready to ski hard. Take it slowly, follow a ski instructor if appropriate, l had a lovely one who gave me extra time for free. Relax and enjoy the mountains.😀
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
6yrs off due to an arthritic hip. New hip just under a yr ago. Big comeback on 11th March.
A bit scared it will be hardpack, otherwise fine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Broke my ankle 2 years ago. Thankfully by the time it got round to skiing again I’d already been back ice skating for around 6 months but honestly aside from being less fit than I’d have liked I found that muscle memory came back pretty easily. I didn’t ski to your standard but certainly similar on the ice and technically my skating was back pretty quick but the confidence to try stuff I knew I could do deep down took a little longer
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowy2018 wrote:
... I spent 2 years skiing (before injury) every week in the UK to a high standard/race level and also skiing abroad and with 4 years off I'm worried I will have forgotten everything...

You’ll be fine.
Don’t think. Just ski.

Welcome to snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What @ALQ, said, switch the brain off and let the body do it's thing!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
karin wrote:
...switch the brain off and let the body do it's thing!

I'm stealing that line Little Angel
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As usual the OP is nowhere to be seen amongst all this good advice.

But for God's sake OP, just get on with it and stop worrying.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Old Fartbag wrote:
After skiing every year since the early 80s, I had 5 years off due to herniated disc and then surgery. I didn't know what to expect when I started back - but it was like riding a bike...so don't worry too much, as I expect it will be the same for you.

Thank you for your comment, it's good to hear its like riding a bike, fingers crossed it will be. It's good to know it went well when you started back after 5 years
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
margaret wrote:
I am probably nowhere near your level of skiing. I had an ACL reconstruction, and was back on skis in 10months at the age of 62. I skied very carefully not wanting to undo my good work, and my surgeon's good work. Two years later, bring it on. My last ski holiday l was ready to ski hard. Take it slowly, follow a ski instructor if appropriate, l had a lovely one who gave me extra time for free. Relax and enjoy the mountains.😀

Wow back on skis after 10 months that's fantastic. I think you're right I just need to relax and take it slowly to start with. I'm excited, hope I have as good an experience going back as you did
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
6yrs off due to an arthritic hip. New hip just under a yr ago. Big comeback on 11th March.
A bit scared it will be hardpack, otherwise fine.

Good luck for 11th March, looks like we will both be going back to skiing after a break
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lampygirl wrote:
Broke my ankle 2 years ago. Thankfully by the time it got round to skiing again I’d already been back ice skating for around 6 months but honestly aside from being less fit than I’d have liked I found that muscle memory came back pretty easily. I didn’t ski to your standard but certainly similar on the ice and technically my skating was back pretty quick but the confidence to try stuff I knew I could do deep down took a little longer

I'm really relying on muscle memory, so fingers crossed. All through training that's one thing i was told its muscle memory, so i guess its time to put that in action. Thanks for sharing it does sound similar and think i will be the same with my confidence to start with
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ALQ wrote:
Snowy2018 wrote:
... I spent 2 years skiing (before injury) every week in the UK to a high standard/race level and also skiing abroad and with 4 years off I'm worried I will have forgotten everything...

You’ll be fine.
Don’t think. Just ski.

Welcome to snowHead

Thank you for the welcome and you're completely right with don't think just ski, I do completely overthink it so I think I need to try and switch off and just enjoy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
karin wrote:
What @ALQ, said, switch the brain off and let the body do it's thing!

I will definitely try that, something I need to work on switching the brain off and relying on muscle memory
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
As usual the OP is nowhere to be seen amongst all this good advice.

But for God's sake OP, just get on with it and stop worrying.

Bit confused with the 'As usual' seen as this is my first post. Unfortunately I struggle for internet connection where i live and as soon as I had a connection I came straight online to respond to the comments I've received. Please don't make assumptions, I certainly wouldn't post something and be rude not to respond to the people that have been kind enough to offer me some helpful & reassuring advice!
snow report
Go and enjoy it, just relax, like riding a bike!!
latest report
@Snowy2018, hope you have a good time. As with others, I ruptured my ACL (skiing), then due to becoming pregnant just as I was getting to a reasonably good point in my rehab, didn’t end up skiing again for more than 3yrs. Again it felt fine, my body remembered how.
snow conditions
@Snowy2018, the as usual wasn't aimed at you specifically. First time posters often ask for advice but never acknowledge it.
ski holidays
@telford_mike, bit harsh...it was only 4 hours.
ski holidays
I broke my leg twice in 2014. The first time I was snowboarding and the lower part of my left leg ended up as hardcore. The second time was 7 months later, same leg. It just hadn't healed enough. I now have a titanium rod from my knee to my angle. That year, I was non weight bearing for 4 months and lost almost all of my leg muscle.

I sat out the 2014/15 season. When I first went back up the hill in Feb 2016, for the first hour I kept telling myself I was insane doing it again. By the end of the first day I felt better, but I had been very cautious. As the trip (a long weekend) went on, my technique slowly improved but I took me many trips to get back to being anywhere near as good as I had been. The muscle memory was still mostly there but it wasn't like riding a bike. I also noticed that the leg I had broken had no where near the muscle I'd previously had, that has taken a couple of years to get back fully.
ski holidays
@Snowy2018, just relax and enjoy it, you don't need to race down the hill on your first run, its like getting your sea legs back after being on dry land for a bit snowHead
ski holidays
This is probably obvious.... Best advice is take your time. No rush.. your injury will weaken ligaments/muscles and make you more susceptible to more injuries to slowly improving technique and strength is must. Resistance bands are a must for injury recovery I have found (I like these ones the best https://nuovahealth.co.uk/product-category/resistance-bands/)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy