Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sore Nose - Helmet/Visor Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi -
Bit of an outlier request for advice...but here goes...

50 yrs old/ski once a year in Obergurgl - a great family holiday but for one drawback. I have a medical condition called relapsing polychondritis which when it flares causes my nose to be very (and I mean very) sore indeed. It is of course exacerbated by any contact/pressure/rubbing/heat/cold/illness so skiing is a balance of family fun and great discomfort.

I cannot wear glasses/googles of any kind - I was an early adopter of helmets with integral visors some 6+ years ago but for last 3/4 years have had a large Uvex helmet (64) and a (now discontinued) SH+detatchable visor that clips on like goggles but pivots from the peak. The key thing is that the combo allows me to get some protection from wind/sun but without even the padded nose of the visor resting on my nose, with enough clearance to avoid accidental contact if jolted (but of course in a fall anything might happen). The downside is I never bought a yellow visor for flat light...so in those conditions i have to ski with visor up and get the full force of wind. I also look a bit like a top gun pilot which is out of keeping with my skiing ability Sad

This year was cold and often poor light...so have returned determined to fully research the market again before returning...any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

So..does anyone know of a large helmet with integral/interchangeable visor that might replace my current solution? Or have any other ideas?

More in hope than expectation...

Ged
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ghdunn, welcome to SHs. Ugh. just looked it up, sounds horrible.

No idea, but there are many more helmets with visors on the market...so you might find something.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ghdunn, HMR have a new range of visors including photochromic lenses, as do diezz (which are cheaper) go for the cat 1-3, rather than cat 2-3
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ghdunn, but obviously try them on first, and be aware that you can cut away some of the foam where it bridges your nose
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.skiclub.co.uk/news/kit-news/2016/11/bolle-backline-visor-helmet-kit-review
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy