Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why is ski hire so expensive in St Anton (AMENDED - not Austria!)?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
People in these valleys stick together. Can't blame them, I guess. Read the blog of those trying to get.to the bottom of the death of the ice hockey player in Stubai years ago. Sheds some light on how things are dealt with....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
People in these valleys stick together. Can't blame them, I guess. Read the blog of those trying to get.to the bottom of the death of the ice hockey player in Stubai years ago. Sheds some light on how things are dealt with....
Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Sack the Juggler, If you choose not to ski in St Anton that's entirely your prerogative, only thing I'd say is that if the bargain price of ski hire is your key driver then you're probably better off elsewhere, there are cheaper ski hire shops in smaller resorts i'm sure wink St Anton is not a bargain basement resort, never has been, its a top place to ski for those who principally enjoy its quality lift served free-ride terrain and excellently prepared pistes, and quality restaurants, plus apres ski if that's their thing. I'd be happy to recommend any of the locally owned shops in the town, in my view they provide excellent products, not cheap compared sometimes with the web but they provide employment for local people, provide great service and are well respected in their community.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Markymark29 wrote:
@Sack the Juggler, If you choose not to ski in St Anton that's entirely your prerogative, only thing I'd say is that if the bargain price of ski hire is your key driver then you're probably better off elsewhere, there are cheaper ski hire shops in smaller resorts i'm sure wink St Anton is not a bargain basement resort, never has been, its a top place to ski for those who principally enjoy its quality lift served free-ride terrain and excellently prepared pistes, and quality restaurants, plus apres ski if that's their thing. I'd be happy to recommend any of the locally owned shops in the town, in my view they provide excellent products, not cheap compared sometimes with the web but they provide employment for local people, provide great service and are well respected in their community.
I happily pay too much for skiing all the time; I ski in Sweden a lot, and even France is expensive when it comes to beers, we even stayed in the Grand in Zell a couple of weeks ago just for the views over the lake, but I don't like being so obviously ripped off for ski equipment especially if its fixed by a cartel (whether or not they admit to it).

There are many other resorts that will take my money, and St Anton wont miss me I'm sure, so I'll stick to the other parts of Austria, Switzerland, France and Sweden.

Happy skiing snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I'd be happy to recommend any of the locally owned shops in the town, in my view they provide excellent products, not cheap compared sometimes with the web but they provide employment for local people, provide great service and are well respected in their community.

I'm sure exactly the same is true of ski hire shops in many other Austrian resorts - as it is of the ones I know in my neck of the woods in France.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ecureuil wrote:
MontyP wrote:
I have been looking for discount ski hire for an upcoming trip to St Anton - the cheapest I can find is €82 just for skis for 4 days in mid-March. I’m also going to Tignes at Easter with the family where ski hire for 5 including boots and helmets for 3 kids for 6 days is only €200 in total for similar quality equipment....

For a fair comparison you should look at the same dates for both resorts. Hire prices / discounts vary over time, in the same way as flight & hotel prices. It could be that St Anton is giving a lower discount because you are within a month of the hire date.

@ecureil, fair point.

So I did a quick comparison on Snowbrainer for w/c 7th April for 6 days skiing - Val d'Isere vs St Anton, I think most would agree that they are comparable resorts Smile Puzzled

Val d'Isere (Ski Republic Rond Point des Pistes, so right on the front near the Solaise / Olympique lifts): black/gold 5* skis (Rossignol Experience 80) - £67.39, 47% discount vs in-store price (£126.44)
St Anton (Sport 2000 Jennewein at the Galzigbahn): black/gold 5* skis (Atomic Redster SL) - £131.49, 10% discount vs in-store price (£145.62)

Not sure if these models of skis are comparable? Anyway there is not much difference in the base price £126 vs £145, but a huge difference after the discount. So why the huge difference in online discount? I work in retail, it will almost certainly be to do with competition (or lack of). In Val, there look to be 2-3x as many rental shops competing for the online pre-booking business.

For reference, the ski pass prices for Espace Killy vs Arlberg are very similar €285 vs €275. In my recent experience, I'd say St Anton is slightly cheaper for most other things such as beer and meals at mountain restaurants.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

St Anton is slightly cheaper for most other things such as beer and meals at mountain restaurants

They wouldn't have to try too hard to be cheaper than Val d'Isere - one of the most expensive French resorts. But that's a sensible comparison. There are loads of cheaper (but still perfectly OK) places in Austria and France.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Price fixing is pretty common.
Beers are often within a few cents of each other along with food.
Higher end charges more but mountain huts tend to be around the same.
I guess it is to eliminate competition. If you agree a price then you just end up with a catchment area rather than having to fight for custom and waste money on aggressive marketing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
King key:-thought the had been fined. Thanks for finding that article. I do agree that the Arlberg is well worth the price you pay for most things but when the Austrian courts come down that hard on ski hire businesses it does make you see they were acting ILLEGALLY.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy