Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche - practice what you preach!

Poster: A snowHead
Having posted a thread warning of the dangers associated with the recent weather, I now can reveal that at 1500 hrs yesterday (Sunday afternoon) on the Gotschnagrat in Klosters I found myself being transported down the hill on a magic carpet of fresh snow.

What happened? The day had been spent finding good off-piste on slopes with an aspect of North to North East, as the wind had been scouring the slopes with any West or South bias. North Western aspects tended to be wind slab which is best avoided. The avalanche risk was 3/5. We had skied in this area during the morning doing the run twice before spending 2-3 hours elsewhere. In the interim period the wind had strengthened (which was noticed) and had veered 70-90 degs (not noticed).

I was guiding a group of friends and had briefed them to keep their separation and I proceeded to ski cut the next slope (gradient max 38 deg, length 50 m, aspect North West and shape slightly concave), on cutting nothing untowards happened and a swift snow probe revealed no apparent danger. I instructed the group to wait clear while I skied and then come down one at a time. Turn 2 and it gave. I was unable to keep my feet and was taken down the slope relatively sedately but over a small rock bluff. I had attempted to keep my feet first and head up but near the bottom the amount of snow was irresistible and I was spun head first, coming to a halt. It was dark and obvious that I was buried. First things first, there was no damage to me, but it was nearly impossible to breathe. Fortunately my right arm was not fully trapped and I was able to clear a small breathing space around my mouth. Snow kept falling in and the urge to cough or choke was overwhelming but had to be resisted. I had worked out which way was up by the snow falling into my mouth and thrust my arm that way. As luck would have it it broke the surface and I was able to wave and show anyone looking where I was. I was completely immobilised otherwise apart from my arm. I started to brush the snow away from around my arm and down but it was going to take a long time and there was little air to be had.

My fiancee had been next in line and acted extremely quickly. She skied down the line of the slide and into the debris. Then worked out where my head was and cleared the snow from it - what a relief - before working on the rest of me. In total the incident lasted approx 20 minutes and despite being the third time I have been personally involved at the sharp end of an avalanche this was the most frightening. Without the Powderb**ch there things would certainly have been different, she acted coolly and professionally despite being extremely scared and not sure what she really ought to be doing.

Lessons learnt? I'm not sure to tell the truth. The change in wind direction was the main factor but I am not certain how one can tell that, a howling wind is a howling wind. Perhaps if you are putting first tracks into an area that you have not been into before you should consider waiting until someone else has proven it? Perhaps we should just stick to the piste??

In short then, I have been guiding since 1993 and like to think I know something about the hills, but the law of averages has caught up with me 3 times. I am extremely lucky that none of them has been more serious.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL snowHead snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 20-02-06 16:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So glad you made it out...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Powderhound, thanks for that run down. Your fiance srtrikes me as one of the best.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that tale, and gald that you've been able to tell it to us!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Powderhound, it's good that you can tell the tale. I was listening to the famous mountin climber Doug Scott yesterday at a lecture in Dublin. He talked about so many of his friends being killed on the mountains, although he said they had some forewarning of their death but continued to climb. Doug said if he got a premonition he would take the hint and stay off the mountains. So perhaps the lesson is to tune into your survival instincts/gut feeling. As an aside, Doug has a really worthwhile charity called Community Action Nepal where he helps the people of the poorest areas of Nepal, they seem to be doing some great work.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Ross, Doug is famed for his intuition but although we call it intuition it is actually experience-based. The decision-making pendulum swings from experience/gut feel/intuition at one end to analytical at the other. Most of us need to use a mixture of both, tending towards the analytical for unfamiliar situations and intuitive for more familiar. This is a useful dynamic for the hills and we should be analytical wherever possible but if the analysis says yes and the gut feel says no, then best we go home. Maybe I should have!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting book on the intuition/experience thing: http://www.gladwell.com/blink/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Powderhound, so glad you're OK! These tales put me right off trying off-piste. Over the years I've learned to listen to my gut instinct, mostly work-related but of course it applies anywhere and I now absolutely follow it, even in the teeth of opposition.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DavidS, I think the unconsious mind is that gut feeling and the consious mind is the long drawn out decision making process. I know from expericence of applied kinesiology how muscle testing can override the consious mind. The unconsious mind has far more information when it comes to descision making, the consious mind screens out most of this as it would lead to information overload. Doug also mentioned being more intune with his instincts in survival situations where there were no distractions. Powderhound, what was your gut feeling yesterday?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 20-02-06 12:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DavidS, that book sounds fascinating!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Ross, Gut feeling was that it had a possibility of going despite testing the snow and having skied similar slopes all day. Therefore I stopped and reiterated that noone was to follow until I had got to the bottom, even though this had been the MO all day... Analysis indicated it should have been safe, gut feeling was probably showing an amber warning light (although not red).

eng_ch, Off piste will always carry some risk but there is off-piste that is literally only just that that will provide hours and days of fun with negligible danger - Hoch Ybrig near both of us is a perfect example...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My copy is not to hand, but from memory, the Gladwell book is very good at showing how effectively the unconscious mind processes weak signals when long experience has given it a clear picture of what is/isn't to be expected in a particular situation.

One case he discusses is of a firefighter who believed he had experience a 'miracle' when pulling his team out of a building just before the floor they were standing on collapsed - despite the fire they were attending not seeming to be a serious one. It was only years later, when he was taken back through the incident, that he finally realised on a conscious level the signals that had driven his split-second decision to evacuate.

The book's also got a very interesting discussion on human factors in ensuring effective security, for anyone who is interested in that sort of thing...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Powderhound,

Sounds like you made all the rights moves and just got caught out by the wind.

Take care, even a cat only has nine lives

Glad you got out OK.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Powderhound, Shocked Shocked Shocked What a story, glad you're ok - you owe your Fiance big time! Very Happy

DavidS, That book sounds like an interesting read.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Powderhound, do you mean the bits between the Sternen and Hesisbol pistes? Or further afield?
snow report
Glad you ok don't know if anyone saw the programme last night on the individual who got lost skiing on the pist e in heavy snow and was lost for 9 days after getting ot of the main ski area (in turkey) - there is a warning for skiing in adverse weather conditions. was compelled to give prmises to significant other (some of which I may keep)
snow conditions
eng_ch, I'm not sure of their names but pretty much anywhere on the lift-served bowl is good. The further right - looking up the hill - the better, with some good stuff off the bottom chairlift, either under it or to the far left of the piste. We'll go there together one day and have a look. If you think you can trust me!! Smile
latest report
Powderhound, I think we're talking about the same area, between the chair by Stoeckli and the one to the right of it on the same escarpment? I'm going to have to get practising! I'm sure Mr Eng would be up for it - he's not such a cowardy custard Smile Certainly up for doing some turns with you though
ski holidays
Thanks for sharing PowderHound. I think when you get personal accounts like this it really brings it home that slides happen in reality and could well happen to you - not just 'other' people.
snow report
Agreed. Despite all the fun and games to be had on sH I really appreciate these doses of reality and since being here have taken these posts of warning with the attention they are due. Thanks for sharing.
latest report
Did anyone see the Ray Mears program last night on mountain survival?
latest report
Glad you got out alive, Powderhound. I personally think that analysis of a situation will only get one so far, the rest of the information comes from the "unconscious", "gut feeling", "accumulated experience" or whatever label you want to put on it. Tuning in to that is what keeps some people alive and some people dead, not just in skiing but in anything.

The big question is: did you have an avalanche bleep/shovels/etc. with you?

I've read Gladwell's other book, "The Tipping Point", which is OK if a bit overdone. It put me off buying the "Blink" one. "The Wisdom of Crowds" by James Surowiecki is much better, and can be applied to skiing.
snow report
magriggs,
Quote:

The big question is: did you have an avalanche bleep/shovels/etc. with you?

If you can be bothered have a read of some of my other posts... I have made some comments on this subject!! wink

Wear The Fox Hat, Caught Ray Mears and although all good, go canny with his recoverable ice axe belay! As he said; 'a little knowledge goes a long way' but it is also a very dangerous thing!
ski holidays
Ah yes, I see you've mentioned it here and there Very Happy
snow conditions
Powderhound, true - I was just pleased to see that he did cover the subject fairly well, and maybe made a few people think about being more sensible before they go back country.
ski holidays
magriggs wrote:
It put me off buying the "Blink" one. "The Wisdom of Crowds" by James Surowiecki is much better, and can be applied to skiing.

The Wisdom of Crowds is about how groups can make (sometimes) better decisions than individuals. Blink is about how individuals can (sometimes) make better decisions quickly than when they reason them out.
snow report
We need a granny sucking eggs smiley.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Did anyone see the Ray Mears program last night on mountain survival?

Pretty good, I thought. I've only done a week's hill snow walking - and that was many year's ago. But I thought the recoverable ice-axe belay looked interestingly hairy - though I guess there may be times when there is no alternative.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
magriggs wrote:
We need a granny sucking eggs smiley.

Puzzled
snow conditions
DavidS wrote:
The Wisdom of Crowds is about how groups can make (sometimes) better decisions than individuals.

There is quite a lot written about how group dynamics can lull people into a false sense of security in relation to avalanche danger and make them do things that they shouldn't.
snow report
Powderhound, thanks for the reality check.

There is quite a lot written about "professional judgement" which makes the distinction between "knowledge" and "wisdom" (the application of knowledge experience and intuition) in professional settings, particularly medicine.

I think you may have chosen to ignore you wisdom which was warning you in some way that all was not quite as it seemed.

Very happy that you are well, and 11/10 to your fiance.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy