Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

lateral collateral ligament (LCL) damage - any info?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Yesterday, when Skiing down the flattest blue run ever, I somehow managed to fall and have apparently damaged my LCL.

Having had an afternoon of keeping my leg raised and icing, I’m now watching everyone get ready for a final morning on the slopes before heading back to the UK, I’m bored and wondering what the stages back to Skiing might be?? (A bit early perhaps less than 24 hours after being assisted off the slope...)

I won’t know for definite until I get back to the UK exactly what I’ve done but the doctor mentioned ‘torn’ (not sure if this is partial or total.) I certainly can’t put any weight on it - knee collapses inwards.

Does anyone have any experience of this and practical things like when you can drive again? (Its my right leg).

An info gratefully received - as I’m sure it will not only be useful but also alleviate the frustrating boredom of waiting for the others to return from the slopes Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've had an LCL strain in the same knee twice - 1 year apart. Second was 2 or 3 years ago now, thankfully. And not a rupture.

First time was at the end of the season, I drove the next day (left leg) and I already had a doc appointment lined up a few days after the injury re. a damaged ankle, so got it seen to very quickly. The second time was earlier in the season, and was confirmed almost immediately by MRI (I was evacc'ed from the slopes and taken straight to a medical centre). No more skiing that week, but I was back skiing a week later, with doctor approval. Wore a knee brace the rest of the season, and I could feel it occasionally 'pinging' but I did manage to ski pretty hard again within a couple of weeks.

It's still not 100% now. I think it's now 3 years later, and this is the first winter I'm not in a knee brace - it's probably about 97% now, with lots of lunges and squats to build up the muscle, and a really good physio up until last summer (mostly focusing on my very messed up ankle though).

Immediate after care for me the first time was lots of ice and elevation. Second time was ice, and lots of time in a spa and swimming pools, which really seemed to help - varied temperatures, and very gentle stretching and manipulation without weight bearing. Actually, the first time round - it was only after the first soak in a hot bath (6 days after the injury) that I was able to fully straighten and weight bear on the damaged knee.

Unfortunately I expect a full rupture will be a tougher recovery - just follow your doctors advice, and find a good physio as soon as you can. It is definitely worth paying for private physio sessions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi
Thanks for the feedback. You’re obviously quite right - do what the doctor /physio say. I guess I should also wait to find out for definite what I’ve actually done!
Thanks again
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Homey, isolated Lateral collateral injuries are relatively rare. If you have an LCL injury it needs proper assessment to check other structures like the ACL.
Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find with ligament tears that the recovery period is annoyingly hard to tell with any certainty. Whenever I've done my ankle ligaments (the last time was 3 years ago touch wood), its always varied massively depending on how badly the original tear was, what seems like sheer luck and how well I've looked after it afterwards.

I partially tore my LCL a couple of months ago (in possibly the most stupid fashion possible). The feeling for a week or two afterwards was a weird one, the main issue was that I was conscious of a lack of stability in my knee (although I could put weight on it). I was able to ski fine with a knee brace on this weekend just gone (although there was one sickening moment when my knee got caught and twisted and I could tell that I definitely hadn't fully healed, thankfully the brace did its job).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I hope I have just sprained something. I'm still using the leg brace and crutches to help me get around as I'm neurotic that it might still feel unstable...
Hopefully a nice new knee brace or bit of physio and I'll be skiing again in a couple of weeks snowHead

Jonathan Bell wrote:
@Homey, isolated Lateral collateral injuries are relatively rare. If you have an LCL injury it needs proper assessment to check other structures like the ACL.
Jonathan Bell

Thanks for replying.
I could well have misunderstood what the doctor's initial diagnosis was. The written report is obviously in German, and abbreviated at that so not much clearer to me.
He did say that I should see a doctor when I got home and the knee was more 'comfortable' and could be investigated fully (I think I was being a complete baby rolling eyes ).

I have an initail appointment on Monday to get it check out.

Thanks again
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LCL I once thought I had one but talked to a friend who had a confirmed lcl and those meant to be more painful.

What sorted my pain out was just wearing a good knee support, http://inthenameofsport.com/ has some good ones.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy