Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria resorts favorites?

Poster: A snowHead
In the happy position of looking for a cheap cancellation ski holiday week 5-12 March and checking out Austria where there are a number if good deals to be had. Any opinions on the relative merits of these resorts? Dooll/Niederau/Rauris/Bad Hofgastein/ Zell am Zee/Alpbach/Niederau? I only know St Anton, Zurs and Lech which i loced (less St Anton) its all about the skiing for me not the apres
any thoughts appreciated as ever.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@poppyb,
Well the resorts mentioned are all quite a tad below Zürs and Lech. You might get disappointed!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Langerzug wrote:
@poppyb,
Well the resorts mentioned are all quite a tad below Zürs and Lech. You might get disappointed!

What do you mean by "below"?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@poppyb, you have also posted about this here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=136454#3193526 and say March 4th. 5th - 12th is Monday to Monday. is that what you mean?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am flexible on dates as long its after 25 Feb
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@poppyb, Saalbach or the Zillertal would be better for you if you can find a deal there.

I liked ZaZ but only for a long weekend. Alpbach is pretty but lacks scope for you I think
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gastein might be worth a crack, if you don't mind getting the bus up to sportgastein for a more complete experience (probably used to that if you've been to the arlberg)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sugarmoma666, In almost every sense wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Langerzug wrote:
@sugarmoma666, In almost every sense wink

Alpbach has lovely skiing. Niederau is primarily a beginners resort but has a lovely black run that's worth making the bus trip for.
Interestingly, I'd pick Alpbach over Lech/Zurs (and yes, I have been there).
I've not been to Zell am See but I'm keen to go there. If you're looking for ski companions, it could be worth joining SCGB as they're very active there, with 2 groups there most days I think, and visit local resorts like Leogang and Maria Alm. (Search on Facebook for "Ski Club of Great Britain Zell am See.)
The skiing in Gastein is good but quite disjointed, with 4 areas only linked by buses.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sugarmamma666.
Bad Gastein and Bad Hofgastein are linked and no need for buses.You only need buses for Sportgastein and Dorfgastein
We were there 2 weeks ago and were impressed by the all the lovely very long red runs in the area.Our favourite area was the Dorfgastein and Grossarl areas.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chick wrote:
Sugarmamma666.
Bad Gastein and Bad Hofgastein are linked and no need for buses.You only need buses for Sportgastein and Dorfgastein
We were there 2 weeks ago and were impressed by the all the lovely very long red runs in the area.Our favourite area was the Dorfgastein and Grossarl areas.

Agreed. The four areas are: Bad Gastein / Bad Hofgastein, Sportgastein, Dorfgastein / Grossarl and Graukogel. The need for buses even Bad Hofgastein depends on where you stay though, and for intermediates and above in a week you'll want to ski all 4 areas, so buses are required.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
you realise this is probably a good year to do lower resorts, as coverage is pretty good every where. Wilder kaiser / ski welt would be good. Extensive area, 3-4 villages to stay in , enough skiing to keep you occupied for a week, links to kitz too if you fancy a day out.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Look into Ischgl as well. Fantastic piste skiing and very good lift-served off-piste (as far as I could see).

Apres is party central but you don't need to partake.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@poppyb, what @Langerzug, said but if you have to go down market Ischgl is a good call.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For tour operator late bookings then have a look at Schladming
snow report
Agree with Frosty the Snowman. Aside from everything else, the conditions generally in the Ski Amade/Planai are superb at the moment.
latest report
Quote:

Aside from everything else, the conditions generally in the Ski Amade/Planai are superb at the moment.

Is there anywhere where they are not currently superb?
latest report
Chick wrote:
Sugarmamma666.

I second this. Dorf/Grossarl is great!
latest report
@poppyb, you should also have a look at Serfaus, one of the best but less well known areas. Over 200k of slopes, tons of good reds and a couple of challenging blacks. Mid March you might get some good deals as well. Bit of a apres but nothing like St Anton or Ischgl.

Not many TOs go there in fact only one currently is Sunweb. I've been to about half of the others on your list above and liked all of them but am going back to Serfaus again this Easter.
snow conditions
@Rowlski, Sunweb only do self-drive to Serfaus...
snow report
Niederau is too small and too limited. I skied the black run there on my fifth day on snow, so not much to challenge a more experienced skier. Saalbach Hinterglemm would be good, as would Zell am Ziller or Kaltenbach. For these last two ski areas you could get a cheap deal to Mayrhofen then use the train that's free with your lift pass.
snow report
@red 27, true but tis easy enough for those non peak weeks to get a good value flight and hire car and be quids in compared to a crystal package.

You get ski passes in the sunweb price so it is pretty good value. If you do want everything sorted for you then it won't fit the bill. I'd say its worth the minimal effort required though Smile
ski holidays
I’ve had some of my best ski days in the Gastein valley in early / mid-March. Never been short of snow nor really found the buses a hassle.
latest report
@poppyb, reckon you could be a tad underwhelmed if you are thinking the places you are looking at compare in any way to those youve been to, having said that we enjoyed a few days in gastein valley earlier this season good skiing but found the bussing about a real pain and the limited apres was quiet to say the least. Im not sure any of the others would compare favorably due to size as its a long time since I visited and was with a young family of beginers which suited very well at the time but the only place you mention that I would be unlikely to return to would be zell am see no particular reason just didnt enjoy the place although the upcoming connection to saalbach in a year or two would help to change my opinion
ski holidays
@poppyb, what are you looking for in a resort. What level are you? Are you looking for pretty scenery? Apres?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy