Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski jackets off piste

Poster: A snowHead
On a train to the airport, bloke down the carraige is wearing his Helly Hanson ski jacket. Fair enough, he might be about to fly off on his ski hols, and if I wasn’t interested in skiing I probably wouldn’t notice (it’s a fairly conservative black and white affair.) Just wondered if there’s a etiquite about wearing obvious ski gear away from the slopes. Private pilots who wear ‘Top Gun’ esque ‘I’m a pilot’ gear in the pub for example, are usually seen as being a bit of a knob.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just go for solid shells and they are fine for muliple use. If you wear racing stripe Spyder or similar then you do look a plonker on the commute. Given I cycle to the station I'll wear a jacket appropriate to conditions. Recently it has been my bloodstained hybrid belay type jacket.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thousands of fat men wear football shirts every saturday.
They dont play football though Skullie
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been known to wear my current ski jacket (Green NF) around town if the weather is really bad and I often wear my old Nike GoreTex shell. I might do a double-take if I see someone wearing a Bogner jacket in my local Tesco Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wear my plain(ish) red Marmot Goretex shell year round, was out in the hail/sleet storm that just passed over the coast here. I wouldn't wear anything else.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wonkyski, if you are off on way to skiing holiday, surely very sensible to wear nice warm jacket with lots of useful pockets. Certainly bonkers to pack it in suitcase - there's enough stuff in there already. I've also worn "moonboots" when flying.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't mind anyone wearing their ski jacket on the way out but if it's really stinky and sweaty not so keen on them being next to me on the journey home 🙄
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jonpim, oh yes, that’s certainly fair enough. Not really criticising, it wasn’t a ‘look at me, I am skier’ bs jacket. Just wondered if it’s sort of equivilent to wearing those military pilot style bomber jackets. I think when I’ve invested in a decent ski jacket, I will certainly use it as a general winter jacket.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I remember a friend making fun of people who wore ski jackets on the high street but that was 10+ years ago when they looked garishly out of place. There's such a cross over these days, with styles and materials that I have to check for the zip/pocket on the left sleeve to know it's actually a ski jacket.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think the garment industry is still a bit slow in catching on to the need of people for highly functional jacket in style fit for high street.

Years ago, my Mom used to chide me endlessly for wearing my ski jacket around town. But really, most "regular" jackets aren't half as warm as ski jackets, don't have half as many pockets, and aren't weather-proof. So I continued to wear my ski jacket as my around-town jacket.

One day while we were on holiday, the weather turned colder than expected. So I let her borrow my ski jacket for a few days. After we got home, she sheepishly asked if she can have my "cast off" jacket if I were to get a new one!Smile

Nowadays, it's more acceptable to wear "sporting" clothing around town (ski jacket, water-proof jacket, Gore-tex shoes...). Though I still think someone in fashion design could make a killing putting together some street fashion with hi-tech materials.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@abc, arcteryx do...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm hanging on to my dated-looking Killy ski jacket (it's become a joke that all my ski photos, whatever the year look the same) because of the number of pockets it has. It's very heavy even without all the stuff I have in it but I have no need for rucksack. It's wonderfully warm and has RECCO , before the days that was normal) It's my first ever jacket and bears the scars from my early day falls and has a lot of sentimental value, and it only cost me £50 quid from that discount place near Carlisle (before SD got hold of it) I look at the new one I bought and think, nah..Old Killy is the one I want.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I break out my ski jacket when it's snowing in town. (though obviously not with business clothes)

I wear it on the way to a ski station, and on the way back.

Otherwise, nah.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@abc, I have an Arcteryx Fission SL which I think looks fine in town (not too many colours/pockets/zips etc and a regular colour). On the other hand it is Gore Tex It also doubles up as my skiing jacket at times so perhaps I might be accused of wearing my town jacket skiing wink

They also make parka style jackets with similar materials and if your wallet needs to lose weight, they have the Arcteryx Veilance line which is supposedly fashionable...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DrNo wrote:
@abc, Arcteryx Veilance line which is supposedly fashionable...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=ms-android-xiaomi&tbm=isch&q=Arc%27teryx+Veilance&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjY5J26qZ7ZAhVBB8AKHUsTDsEQBQhPKAA&biw=360&bih=564&dpr=3

Perfect for burying people in the snow? 😊😊
snow report
wear it on the way yo airport for ski trip and on way back, otherwise only for skiing and apres! wearing it at any other time is a finable offence! Toofy Grin
snow report
It's possible that I'm not the person to consult for fashion advice.

I don't actually wear snowboarding jackets on the train, but I give away a lot of jackets and the people I give them to definitely wear them to the pub at least. Why do you think the powder skirts can be zipped out, if not to allow people to use them when there's no snow?

Years ago we had powder suits, which definitely could not be used off snow.

Perhaps ski jackets are more obviously branded or something, but snowboard jackets are pretty much just jackets. If I'm heading for the snow then I travel in the jacket of course... although you'd be more appalled by the Sorels (required for noboarding and actually good in snow, but pretty daft at LHR).

Long ago and far away I did wear a very loud ski jacket to high table at Trinity College. No one batted an eyelid of course.
snow report
I ski in my pilots uniform ( including peaked cap) while skiing - impresses the ladies. Also smoke Peter Stuyvesant on the chairlift- always with the bar up!!
ski holidays
RUGBY PETER wrote:
I ski in my pilots uniform ( including peaked cap) while skiing - impresses the ladies. Also smoke Peter Stuyvesant on the chairlift- always with the bar up!!

Hmm, tempted to try that. Although I’m concerned that people might judge my flying ability on my skiing and refuse to fly with me. (Although, to be fair, a lot of people who know me in private life refuse to fly with me too!)
ski holidays
RUGBY PETER wrote:

With your bar up do you find it difficult to put the safety rail in place? Laughing
snow conditions
I'm sure I can't be the only one who buys nice outdoor gear for my hiking activities, then once it's had about 5 years use and is losing it's waterproofing (even after re-proofing), recycles it into a day-to-day jacket and buys a new one for the outdoorsy stuff?

I can quite believe people might do the same with a ski jacket.

I have a friend who uses his old ABS (airbag) backpack as his day to day backpack... that looks a bit weird. Especially with the handle hanging out because he pulled it so hard it won't go back in.
latest report
Gore for the slide, gore for the walk, gore for the float, gore for the cycle, gore for the mooch.
Am I really the only one who doesn’t want to look like some gormless cack kicking teenager lost in the city?
I mean...!?! the looks I got boarding a plane in Milan fully garbed because of a longer than anticipated descent straight to the car, traffic jam and fog, mind you it might have been the ripeness being freely shared from my wide open heat dumps.
snow report
One of the kids at school comes in a Spyder jacket. Never been skiing in his life, but there is a TK Maxx a mile or so away!
ski holidays
I use an old ski jacket (red+grey HH) to walk the dogs in winter. Warm and waterproof so does the job, especially in the sleet/hail/wind yesterday.
I've even worn a black Salomon one to a funeral. It was snowing that day though.
snow conditions
Quote:

I wear my plain(ish) red Marmot Goretex shell year round, was out in the hail/sleet storm that just passed over the coast here. I wouldn't wear anything else

Does it not get a little chilly arounf the nether regions?
ski holidays
Quote:

Long ago and far away I did wear a very loud ski jacket to high table at Trinity College. No one batted an eyelid of course.

Because only idiots judge people on the basis of the jacket they wear and why would you care what idiots think?
ski holidays
I'm still surprised people fall for the con that is the 'ski jacket' I've always used a decent Goretex shell that I have for year round hiking, 'scotland' and other sorts, better for layering and its not some daft multiple coloured thing that I only use once a year (I made that mistake once when I started with Westbeach).
ski holidays
Basically some jackets look out of place away from snow - Digital camo, Harlequin/Blackburn rovers style , Snaggletooth cartoon, anything from the more outre Burton collections. Many just look like normal shells, puffies and primalofts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quality waterproofs (and a set drying off) are a way of life in the wetter and windier parts of the UK. The alpine spring and winter normally has much better weather than here. Save the technical stuff for the car park bus at Manchester airport snowHead
snow report
I wear mine quite a lot around town, if I spend £300 on a jacket, you best believe I'll be getting my money's worth!
Although I went for a design that definitely allows it
snow conditions
You see plenty of Wed'ze-Warriors round the town here too ...

... but then that town is Morzine.
latest report
Nothing wrong in wearing a ski jacket down the pub, or going for a walk, or whilst commuting, they are generally excellent for coping with British weather.

Now if he was wearing ski boots then he might look a bit of a knob walking down to Tescos.
snow conditions
snow report
Probably walking back from Tesco - to be fair.
ski holidays
I think ski jackets look a touch out of place away from the mountains, but then I'm someone who tut-tuts at walkers who wear reds, pinks, yellow etc.

OK:

Not OK:

Caveat - If you need to wear yellow to aid rescue attempts in Snowdonia, then that's OK. (But that's hardly an issue in Wiltshire)
snow report
Wonkyski wrote:
On a train to the airport, bloke down the carraige is wearing his Helly Hanson ski jacket. Fair enough, he might be about to fly off on his ski hols, and if I wasn’t interested in skiing I probably wouldn’t notice (it’s a fairly conservative black and white affair.) Just wondered if there’s a etiquite about wearing obvious ski gear away from the slopes. Private pilots who wear ‘Top Gun’ esque ‘I’m a pilot’ gear in the pub for example, are usually seen as being a bit of a knob.

etiquette? wear what you like, who cares?
ski holidays
abc wrote:
Nowadays, it's more acceptable to wear "sporting" clothing around town (ski jacket, water-proof jacket, Gore-tex shoes...). Though I still think someone in fashion design could make a killing putting together some street fashion with hi-tech materials.

No. It is not ok to be walking around town in Gore-tex shoes. I get that engineers, IT professionals, scientists, accountants etc will be wearing them but that does not make it ok. Nor are velcro shoes ok.
snow report
i wear my HH jacket on very cold snowy days back here but almost always wear it when Im flying as it takes too much room to pack.
snow conditions
Hey where what you want, I'll not be judgemental, and you should not be too concerned about what i wear.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I think ski jackets look a touch out of place away from the mountains, but then I'm someone who tut-tuts at walkers who wear reds, pinks, yellow etc.

OK:

Not OK:

Caveat - If you need to wear yellow to aid rescue attempts in Snowdonia, then that's OK. (But that's hardly an issue in Wiltshire)

Funnily enough, I think the first picture looks quite out of place unless accompanied by some badly behaved dogs and a shotgun. The next two photo looks fine (though they don't look to be enjoying themselves in the last photo) Horses for courses, I tend not to judge people on their clothes (there are of course exceptions.....)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy