Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal package cost reduced almost 25% after my purchase

Poster: A snowHead
Very naive from me to think that booking early would be a good deal. My package has just reduced almost 25% and I just "lost" 350 pounds between the 2 of us. Crystal don't provide any price guarantee and don't even bother to try to mitigate the frustration.

Unless you purchasing super usual busy weeks, don't see a point in booking early, lesson learned!

Anyone faced the same and have any suggestion if there is something I could try still or just swallow hard ...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just swallow hard - and next time don't look after you book.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If its a last minute, the package operators usually slash costs. Even if its so they only break even.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You get far more choice by booking early. They only usually have a limited choice left if you book last minute. Either way, it's a gamble.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is swings and roundabouts.

Over the years, I have made substantial savings by booking early....and I have also lost out.

I have an idea of what represents good value. If I can meet that value, then I am generally happy.....though seeing the same holiday reduced, always rankles a bit.

More often than not, the early booking incentives work out.....and leaving things late, can mean the place you were wanting to stay in, gets booked out (ie. if you had a place in mind - which I generally do).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Crystal's pricing is a bit like Ryanair, up and down according to sales and demand. Some places I've been looking at have gone up £100 over the last 3-4 weeks.
Quote:

and next time don't look after you book.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jehu wrote:
Just swallow hard - and next time don't look after you book.

Agree... partially... cause if one day I go back I would not repeat it. But was not really intentional, someone else asked to see where I was going, just googling the resort name crystal deal came as first, once I opened I notice the price drop.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We only booked early the trip just gone (July last year) as we were a group of 10 and needed as much choice and flexibility as possible.

If it's just the two of us, as long as the accommodation and resort tick the boxes we usually leave it late to get the best deal. But then it's easier for smaller numbers of people.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gustavobs wrote:
Very naive from me to think that booking early would be a good deal. My package has just reduced almost 25% and I just "lost" 350 pounds between the 2 of us. Crystal don't provide any price guarantee and don't even bother to try to mitigate the frustration.

Unless you purchasing super usual busy weeks, don't see a point in booking early, lesson learned!

Anyone faced the same and have any suggestion if there is something I could try still or just swallow hard ...

Same happened me on a cruise last year.

We were advised to complain on social media (and I did so) but didn't get anything back. We looked for some sort of goodwill gesture but nothing (MSC Cruises - never again).

I really really feel your pain - you're funding their working capital by paying up early and penalised for it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Trouble is, there's no way of knowing which holidays will sell out, and which will be left over and discounted last-minute. Apparently, the tour ops base the discounted holidays mainly on the flight seats they have left to sell, rather than the accommodation.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I book early, knowing this way I have my choice of rooms, space in any childcare, choice of departure airport and normally some choice in flight time. Yes they may get discounted or they may sell out. Either way I am happy as I have picked something I am happy with the price on and know I have the product I wanted.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That’s how it works. Book early to get exactly what you want. Book last minute if you’re flexible.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When did you book? When is it departing? When did it reduce?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
for some reason this year post xmas whenever ive looked there has been reasonable discounted availability on the big companies sites, either a few days or a couple of weeks or more forward to a fair range of places, makes me wonder about why book early especially if you consider that this year the conditions in the main are superb so why the discounting even from regional airports? having said that ive booked independently as did other family members for reasons of timing and flexibility am still happy with our choices. Im just wondering if the ski market has peaked as to me there doesnt seem to be as many youngsters either kids or young adults about this last couple of years
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was lucky to have the opposite. I booked four easy-jet flights last year and then the price dropped by £360. At that stage they still had their price drop promise offer (now stopped). Consequently we are now going to Belfast with free flights. Just your luck.
ski holidays
jf you got the holiday you want then fair enough, but if your trying to book up for 10 people at the last minute then good luck with that
ski holidays
@Gustavobs, all depends when you travelling, how flexible you are on resort/area, how flexible you are on accommodation and travel (eg airports).
Generally IMO late deals less attractive financially than years gone by. Big + is knowing snow conditions and weather forecast.
latest report
just looked on main tour operator site before breakfast and some substantial reductions for next week 17 feb particularly for france 40% austria 20% from brochure price as advertised, amazing really given its meant to be high season
snow report
Book early and as said you have more choice and guaranteed to get where you want to go. Leave it until later and possibly get it cheaper but risk not being able to go exactly where you want.
Holiday companies are businesses and not charities, they need to make money to stay alive allowing us to go on our amazing holidays.
Don't look at it as having "lost" £350. When you paid for it you obviously thought it was worth what you paid for it and it still is. Swallow hard and get on with looking forwards to your trip. I'm sure you will have an amazing time.
snow report
Gyro wrote:
Book early and as said you have more choice and guaranteed to get where you want to go. Leave it until later and possibly get it cheaper but risk not being able to go exactly where you want.
Holiday companies are businesses and not charities, they need to make money to stay alive allowing us to go on our amazing holidays.
Don't look at it as having "lost" £350. When you paid for it you obviously thought it was worth what you paid for it and it still is. Swallow hard and get on with looking forwards to your trip. I'm sure you will have an amazing time.

That’s ok and I get it, some people can be very strict where want to go. I haven’t been in many places and as long as I can ski in nice pistes, effective lifts I don’t care much so it was a mistake but i don’t get your point about businesses not being charities. I’m not really expecting any kindness and want to pay a fair price so the market stays strong but if they have a business model that needs to drop the price so much to minimise losses, it’s their fault and not mine..

It wouldn’t cost much to Crystal minimise the frustration. They could get super loyal customers with some goodwill gesture and not nefessarily money back.
snow conditions
ski for fun wrote:
Im just wondering if the ski market has peaked as to me there doesnt seem to be as many youngsters either kids or young adults about this last couple of years

They're all mortgaged up to the hilt trying to afford the crazy inflated prices wanted for a rabbit hutch in most regions of the UK! Confused

Housing is a necessity, skiing is a luxury, but when the necessities take up such a huge chunk of earnings, perhaps there isn't enough left for certain luxuries.

I'm sure the weak pound probably has had some effect too as it has made ski holidays at least 20% more expensive for those whose income is in sterling.
snow conditions
Gustavobs wrote:
if they have a business model that needs to drop the price so much to minimise losses, it’s their fault and not mine..

It wouldn’t cost much to Crystal minimise the frustration. They could get super loyal customers with some goodwill gesture and not nefessarily money back.

That has always the big UK tour ops business model, buy flights & accommodation in bulk at large discounts, make huge profits by charging customers premium prices for peak weeks, group bookings, early bookings and then last-minute discount whatever's left unsold back to just above (their) cost price so they still make a small profit.

If you didn't think the original price was fair, why did you pay it?

Again to properly assess the situation, we need to know... When did you book it? When does it depart? And when did the price drop?
snow report
I think if it’s a discount on a peak week, it’s extremely rare to see much discounting. Surprisingly I’ve seen more affordable prices this year at half term than previous years. Outside the peak weeks, I tend to book last minute
snow report
luigi wrote:
Gustavobs wrote:
if they have a business model that needs to drop the price so much to minimise losses, it’s their fault and not mine..

That has always the big UK tour ops business model, buy flights & accommodation in bulk at large discounts, make huge profits by charging customers premium prices for peak weeks, group bookings, early bookings and then last-minute discount whatever's left unsold back to just above (their) cost price so they still make a small profit.

Again to properly assess the situation, we need to know... When did you book it? When does it depart? And when did the price drop?

I thought it was fair and understand some fluctuation, just not that much. Just correcting my calculation, the exact package is costing £388 pounds less for 2 persons.

Booked October, going 17 March. I notice the price last week but not sure when changed.
snow report
I got 40% off two weeks ago booking on the Monday for Sunday departure. There were only 2 of us and we were very flexible with what we could get (which was excellent). Book early and get exactly what you want, book late and gamble.
snow report
I'm surprised you thought that prices wouldn't fluctuate at all.
latest report
This happened to me last year with Neilson.
What put it into context for me was, if the holiday went up 25% in price, would you pay the extra???
Once booked I never look now.
Kind regards
Dj
snow report
I would usually book at the last minute, but this year I've lost out.
There were no good deals available unless wanted to go for b&b somewhere or somewhere where you just didn't want to go.

I've had to book direct with the hotel I wanted to stay in and its cost me a shed load more than I got it for last year via Crystal for the same week.

I'm sure Crystal is now owned by TUI, a German company, and they have not bothered to reserve the bed spaces they have in the past.

It was great being able to grab those last minute bargains, but I think the time has come when its not just us northern Europeans whooping up in the apres ski bars and slithering down the slopes.

In Zell and Karpun this past week I've heard very few languages I'm used to hearing (English, Dutch and German) ....
The car park at the Maiskogel was full of RO, BG, PL registered Audi, BMW, Merc and Ranger Rovers.
Its a sign of the times .. we're not the only plonkers on the hill anymore.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If the price had gone up, would you be offering to pay the extra?
latest report
it seems to me that there is a bit of a 2 tier market for package hols ,im talking austria as thats where we go, which for price and ease at the bb end with late offers and a bit limited choice of resort are unbeatable.The higher end hotels specific resorts and times can be booked direct early and with arranging your own travel there is not a lot of difference nowadays , can often be below T/O even if a late offer comes along as with more airlines travel isnt such a problem ,the real advantage the t/o has is in the transfer from airport, but the last trip or 2 weve used the train/bus if not been self drive and that has been both cheap and reliable, what really puts me of t/o is the waste of time getting to and from the resort often if doing it yourself its fairly easy to gain a 3/4 day skiing at both ends
snow report
I booked 2 weeks ago for 3rd March, not quite last minute but fairly last min and saved over £400 each of original price. Looked yesterday and is £100 per person cheaper again. Little bit grumpy but got over it as felt I had a good deal, I've known where I am going and so very much looking forward to and the (minor) stress of getting the right holiday has gone. Its all a bit of a gamble
snow conditions
Gustavobs wrote:
luigi wrote:
Gustavobs wrote:

I thought it was fair and understand some fluctuation, just not that much. Just correcting my calculation, the exact package is costing £388 pounds less for 2 persons.

Booked October, going 17 March. I notice the price last week but not sure when changed.

That is quite a drop, but booking last October meant you could choose exactly which hotel in which resort, even which room. You could also ensure you could book the week off work, you had the peace of mind that it was all booked and no more worry. Could you have achieved all that waiting until one month before departure just in case your chosen package happened to get discounted?

If you could, next year leave it to the last minute and see what turns up! But don't be disappointed if you don't get what you wanted!!
ski holidays
Swings and roundabouts, if a few of us are going we will try to book early, not for the discounts, but to make sure that we are all together. If there are just the two of us we try to leave it as late as possible making the booking and take a chance that we wont get the hotel / chalet that we really wanted.
snow report
I guess if you want a specific hotel / flight / date . Book early.

If you don't care where you go , etc , book last minute.

As an e.g. - there are a dozen or so ski total deals with around 50 % off on their website right now - departing 18th Feb (our area half term).
snow conditions
@sheffskibod, yep and same with others( crystal etc) and not all in the smaller places such as alpach with some 30% off for this weekend zell am see mayrhofen even st anton im starting to think there will be some real bargains into march if these snow conditions last
snow conditions
This is another good reason for paying the smallest possible deposit, and if the price drops more than the deposit (or a better deal comes up in same place/time etc) you can rebook. Typically I find ringing up and telling them you are about to drop the holiday and swallow losing the deposit they become really flexible, but often won't drop the price on the place you are staying. They often will however let you use the "credit" of your deposit and shift it to another package they are selling cheap to fill the beds somewhere else.
ski holidays
ski for fun wrote:
@sheffskibod, yep and same with others( crystal etc) and not all in the smaller places such as alpach with some 30% off for this weekend zell am see mayrhofen even st anton im starting to think there will be some real bargains into march if these snow conditions last

Yep - there are 3 places in VDI for £ 500...18/02 . Gatwick.

The evening meal is likely to be rubbish of course , but if you go with that expectation and eat a big lunch out and drink the free wine at dinner , it is still a good price for flights , transfer , breakfast and a bed (and wine).

Pity the fool who paid £ 1000 for those....mention it loudly at dinner (after the wine) for lols.

We did the same last year in Courcheval. Was OK for £ 500 . Would have felt cheated for £ 1000
snow report
funny last 2 years not been that many bargains in march.
snow report
@dan100,

i agree, im looking for a deal on march the 10th and cant find any good ones. Sad
snow report
Gustavobs wrote:

Afraid you'll just have to live with it.

Unless you're travelling on one of the peak weeks or looking to book a particular accommodation/ crèche facility, etc that is very popular, you are very unlikely to save money by booking early. Also, late booking can help you in terms of keeping an eye on snow conditions - especially for early or late season weeks

Tour operators love early bookers. It eliminates uncertainty and is higher margin for them.If you look at their websites now, with plenty of current season still to go, they'll be pushing their 2018/19 offers.
It works both ways - travellers who dislike uncertainty and want specific holiday can rest easy if they book early and are generally prepared to pay premium for this peace of mind.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy