Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Difference between skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I was on my annual holiday last week and it was the first time I tried different types of skis throughout the week. Two of the skis in particular I noticed a big difference between, when I would have thought of them as very similar skis - Nordica Enforcer 93 and Black Crows Orb 91. I found the Enforcer much more stable at higher speeds on the piste, I felt more in control. With the Orb I never felt fully in control, the skis felt almost flimsy and I didn't have confidence in them when going fast. I felt like I was sliding a lot more. In the off piste / side piste stuff they felt OK.

My question is, can anyone tell me what specific differences in the skis could potentially be causing those different feelings? Or is it all in my head! It's a good learning experience for me as I can make a more informed decision on the type of ski I like.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have often though that there should be a stiffness index for skis ... it would seem to be the main variable that is not covered in the specs
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sometimes it is also the difference in flex between tips and tails and the middle of the ski which give a very different feel.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DavidYacht, @Scarpa, IMV torsional rigidity has more to do with it. I'm not so very sure there are such wild differences in longitudinal stiffness.

Certainly not such that can be determined by flexing them knowingly in shops.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It would not be hard to have a testing jig for torsional rigidity.

I am looking for new skis for next year; I have a short list of four or five which I would love to test but am unlikely to get them all at the same time, so some kind of stiffness comparator would help me get to two or three ...

Brahma CA
Nordica Navigator 85
Atomic Vantage 85
Salomon XDR 88 Ti
Atomic Vantage 90 Cti

Looking for a not heavy, piste carving ski, that’s good in moguls and can do some between the piste stuff, and that does not overpower.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

that’s good in moguls

skis are neither good nor bad in moguls...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Quote:

that’s good in moguls

I take that you are suggesting that it is the skier and not the ski that counts ... I consider myself to be reasonably competent in bumps, but I have found that some skis are easier than others ...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@conor90, I know what you mean, I had never owned a ski wider than 76mmuf and everyone was talking about wider skis for offpiste so I tried some at chill factore, some were ok but not as good as my own skis and not a good place to test.
I tried some Rossi sky7 HDs at Xmas and hated them (leading to a slightly drunken and controversial thread Embarassed ) I then bought some almost new Head Venturi 95s (replaced by kore93) despite or possibly because the bindings had been put on 55mm forward of recommended point they are a totally different ski though similar on paper to the sky7. Much more control, good carving and even quite nimble in the moguls.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 8-02-18 14:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Quote:

that’s good in moguls

I take that you are suggesting that it is the skier and not the ski that counts ... I consider myself to be reasonably competent in bumps, but I have found that some skis are easier than others ...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I take that you are suggesting that it is the skier and not the ski that counts

How did you know?

In fairness, I found my old FIS slaloms slightly trickier in bumps as they had such fierce edge grip (down to the torsional rigidity).

I'm not sure (in the same way that marked radius is more or less meaningless in and of itself on a recreational ski) that a rigidity number would be informative.

Only way is to try before you buy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy