Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz today - It couldn't cope!

Poster: A snowHead
Just got home from a resort under serious pressure. More snow than I have seen for a long time. It took me, my wife and 3 terrified kids 4 hours to get beyond Les Gets this morning ( about 20 kms).
Police all over the place nicking people, even though I had snow chains, triangle, lamp converters etc etc they still gave me a bollocking for not clearing the snow off the roof ( I had already man handled about 400lbs of the stuff just digging my car out of the outside car park). They have no sympathy for us.
Several crashes up the Morzine- Avoriaz climb, closing it at least twice. I seriously couldn't see the ditch from the road and was totally reliant on the road side pole markers.
I am very traumatised, and have to get it off my chest. The point of the post is :-
Get snow chains, or the Police will have you, and be prepared for a long drive or transfer. It would be better to get the lift from Prodains
Looking at the forecast it'll be a long week!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oscarkat wrote:
Just got home from a resort under serious pressure. More snow than I have seen for a long time. It took me, my wife and 3 terrified kids 4 hours to get beyond Les Gets this morning ( about 20 kms).
Police all over the place nicking people, even though I had snow chains, triangle, lamp converters etc etc they still gave me a bollocking for not clearing the snow off the roof ( I had already man handled about 400lbs of the stuff just digging my car out of the outside car park). They have no sympathy for us.

I've got say that I don't have any either Very Happy Sorry Very Happy

Cars still reach the autoroute with large amounts of snow on them and it's extremely dangerous, a lump of snow released from a car on the autoroute will take out the windscreen of a car if it hits it and obviously is a danger to cars behind just for visibility. It's going to have the same effect as someone dropping blocks of snow off an autoroute bridge really.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oscarkat, Good advice, on my non skiiing days I see plenty of cars trying to crawl the last half a mile up to the car park near my house to enjoy a days skiing with lots of laughing, pushing and sliding, it then snows all day and they head off down the hill completly out of control. Frankly I am surprised there are not more accidents. Another word of caution if your driving down to the alps, friends of mine who arrived yesterday could not find the correct size of snow chain locally and in the end they turned back to Thonon (40km's)to find some. There problem was not abnormal sizing but in fact popular and common sizing of wheel, they were sold out everywhere. Most Supermarkets in France sell them but better still buy them in the UK and practice putting them on before you leave. A dark, freezing cold tain road is no place to unpack them for the first time, chains very considerably in their application. Buy a torch and bring old gloves and maybe even an old jacket, its a grubby job most times
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the police are totally justified - a roof covered in snow can add considerable weight to a vehicle in the wrong place, will slide down obstructing your view under heavy braking etc.

I'm glad they're giving people a bollocking - better than digging out bodies form cars that have gone of fthe road.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with fatbob, those people that are not used to driving or the etiquete of driving in snow should be made aware of their responsibilities to other road users. The bollocking was obviously in order and because of the rant has brought the dangers of driving without the knowledge to a wider audience. Well done Mr. Gendarme.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BTW I thought it was illegal to have snow on your car in Switzerland on the roads... and is always considered "Dangerous Driving ' in France apparently and the Gendarmes usually book you ( only found that out today from an old codger .. so may not be correct)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gendarmes were out in force in Morillon on Saturday morning too quite rightly drumming home the same message. They missed one guy who shed his load in the middle of the road through Cluses to add the the already significant chaos. Very glad we weren't travelling behind him at any speed!! Christened chains we've had for four years for the first time and very glad of the annual 'dress rehearsals' prompted by advice from this forum. It was still a dirty horrible job but at least we were secure that we'd got them on properly and weren't going to be the embarrassing Brits with their car nose parked in the side of the mountain.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What's more large lumps of snow often come off a roof on the corners, and if it's cold, once down on tarmac at lower altitude can turn to virtual ice after a few sets of tyres have gone over it. There are enough hazards on the mountain roads already, including some of the drivers themselves, without adding to them...

What amazes me sometimes is that not a few drivers seem unaware of the difference between driving up a snowy road and driving down it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

What amazes me sometimes is that not a few drivers seem unaware of the difference between driving up a snowy road and driving down it.

Yes, and something else that amazes me is that some people seem to think it's somebody's FAULT if they go to the mountains in mid-winter and get inconvenienced by snow. The title of this thread implies that it's Avoriaz's fault. It has been totally predictable for days that the roads were going to be chaotic - nobody should go with the attitude that they "must" drive back to the UK by X o'clock, no matter how dangerous the conditions. People who sail across the channel sometimes get stuck in France for days with bad weather, but sailors tend to be more weather-aware, and perhaps more safety conscious, than many holiday skiers. I have several times had to give up a planned long days drive through France because of fog on the autoroutes., or postponed departure because of snowy roads. That may not be an option for people in holiday accommodation - but they could have left on Friday and avoided the rush on what was always going to be one of the busiest days of the year.
Quote:

I've got say that I don't have any either Sorry
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
nobody should go with the attitude that they "must" drive back to the UK by X o'clock, no matter how dangerous

I never fail to be amazed at the stupidity of Brits on the last few kilometres of the Peage towards Calais. Anybody would think that there was only one crossing a day Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, the only probelm I have with making the crossing is the fact that the dog has to have a tick and tapeworm treatment between 24-48 hours before we cross. Left quite a narrow window to get over to Folkestone. We'd have to wait a whole day more. But I agree entirely, I would rather wait another day than end up dead.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The tone of my post was really just to advise people to make sure everyone had snowchains at their disposal and to make sure they do a 'dry' run at home. I admit it was a bit of a gripe about the French Police Municipal ( what is the difference between them and the Gendarmarie?), but I was completely unaware of the the 'snow on the roof' issue. I don't mind being advised or even fined whilst in their beautiful country, but I was a bit upset by the power crazy and humilitating attitude he displayed. I had just negotiated the most awful driving conditions I have ever encountered, and just making it down to Morzine safely was a major achievemeant. It just galls me that any French national can drive like a madman ( you know right on your tail and intimidating you - yes even yesterday in those conditions down from Avoriaz) whilst I feel the English were easy targets.
The french way of Policing is in the strict manner of 'administering the law', whilst our Bobbies do that, they are also approachable, helpful and, I suspect, particurlarly so to french nationals who are in distress, or don't know the in and outs of British law.
I suppose I should be very glad he didn't fine me though, thanks for the advice eEvaens - I won't forget next year.
One question spings to mind though - once I had cleared it off, by the time I had driven another 2 or 3 Kms ( that did take 15 minutes or so) it was deep on my roof again. How often to you have to stop and clear to avaid a fine?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
oscarkat wrote:
It just galls me that any French national can drive like a madman ( you know right on your tail and intimidating you - yes even yesterday in those conditions down from Avoriaz) whilst I feel the English were easy targets.

I know what you mean, the one and only time I got stopped for speeding the gendarme informed me "in France we drive at 130kph" which is true for milk floats round town I suppose Very Happy

In fairness, the French have made huge inroads into their driving standards, there's a way to go yet though Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
oscarkat wrote:
I admit it was a bit of a gripe about the French Police Municipal ( what is the difference between them and the Gendarmarie?)

The Police handle only minor matters. Snow on the roof would be a major crisis for them - definitely one up on a parking ticket. Mind you, they were right to point out the error of your ways.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
oscarkat, I know how you feel. It took me 6 hours yesterday to do 15 miles from St Sorlin D'Arves to St Jean de Maurienne. At one stage my 10 year old daughter decided that under no circumstances would she get back in the car and that she would walk down. Unlike you though the gendarmerie pretty much left everyone to fend for themselves. The experience has also convinced me that there is no way I am taking my rear wheel drive car anywhere near a mountain pass ever again, even with snowchains it was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
latest report
ah rearwheel drive and snow...fun isn't it Happy I know it might sound an odd question - but knowing the conditions were so bad - why not just stay up in avoriaz till it settled a bit oscarkat? I'm betting there were free beds from people not able to make it up!

aj xx
snow conditions
ajhainey, The conditions down from St Sorlin changed dramatically very quickly. The owners of our apartment drove up from the valley and told us that chains were only required for about 5kms (they are very used to it though Toofy Grin). They were right and I took my chains off then as it was pretty clear. However further down very heavy snowfall, loads of coaches and various blockages allowed the road conditions to deteriorate very rapidly.
ski holidays
oscarkat, The municipal police are very local, gendrames are a national police force and on the auotroutes you might even meet the CRS who are a national para-military force.
snow conditions
oscarkat, the police municipale are usually pretty tame, the gendarmes can be mini tyrants in comparison. I'm surprised if it was a local cop that was so pushy, they usually spend much of their time watching over schoolkids at main road crossings around school time, that kind of job. Most are pretty friendly and helpful in my experience. As for the gendarmes, can go either way. Now the CRS... don't cross them. The equivalent in the UK used to be the SPG. Which reminds me of a Not The 9 O'Clock News sketch of many moons ago...

Constable Savage - NOT THE NINE O'CLOCK NEWS

"Come in, shut the door."

"Yes, sir."

"Now then, Savage, I want to talk to you about some charges that you've been bringing lately. I think that perhaps you're being a little over-zealous."

"Which charges did you mean then, sir?"

"Well, for instance this one: 'Loitering with intent to use a pedestrian crossing.' Savage, maybe you're not aware of this, but it is not illegal to use a pedestrian crossing, neither is 'smelling of foreign food' an offence."

"Are you sure, sir?"

"Also, there's no law against 'Urinating in a public convenience or 'Coughing without due care and attention."'

"If you say so, sir..."

"Yes, I do say so, Savage! Didn't they teach you anything at training school?"

"Erm, I'm sorry, sir..."

"Some of these cases are just plain stupid: 'Looking at me in a funny way' - Is this some kind of joke, Savage?"

"No, sir."

"And we have some more here: 'Walking on the cracks in the pavement,' 'Walking in a loud shirt in a built-up area during the hours of darkness,' and 'Walking around with an offensive wife.' In short, Savage, in the space of one month you have brought one hundred and seventeen ridiculous, trumped-up and ludicrous charges."

"Yes, sir."

"Against the same man, Savage."

"Yes, sir."

"A Mr Winston Kodogo, of 55, Mercer Road."

"Yes, sir."

"Sit down, Savage."

"Yes, sir."

"Savage, why do you keep arresting this man?"

"He's a villain, sir."

"A villain..."

"And a jail-bird, sir."

"I know he's a jail-bird, Savage, he's down in the cells now! We're holding him on a charge of 'Possession of curly black hair and thick lips."'

"Well - well, there you are, sir!"

"You arrested him, Savage!"

"Thank you, sir!"

"Savage, would I be correct in assuming that Mr Kodogo is a coloured gentleman?"

"Well, I can't say I've ever noticed, sir."

"Stand up, Savage! - Savage, you're a bigot. It's officers like you that give the police a bad name. The press love to jump on an instance like this, and the reputation of the force can be permanently tarnished. Your whole time on duty is dominated by racial hatred and petty personal vendettas. Do you get some kind of perverted gratification from going around stirring up trouble?"

"Yes, sir!"

"There's no room for men like you in my force, Savage. I'm transferring you to the S.P.G."

"Thank you very much, sir!"

"- Now get out!"

Some real gems in that series, this sketch with Rowan Atkinson as the inspector, and was it Rhys Jones as Savage?

Anyway, sorry about that diversion... but back on topic, if you ever get stopped by the CRS, you know what to expect! Not racial discrimination so much these days (allegedly), but you have to be a special kind of person to actually want to join the CRS... Wink
ski holidays
(Would have added the above to the "Life in France" thread, but... wink)
snow report
PG wrote:
. As for the gendarmes, can go either way. Now the CRS... don't cross them.

Particularly as they provide mountain rescue service in some areas Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy