Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Plagne Village - Chalet Bon Vie/DIY trip review

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

We have just returned from an amazing week in Chalet Bon Vie in Plagne Village. This was our 3rd ski trip having done 2 x Neilson trips previously, I took it upon myself to organise a trip for a group of 10! We were a mix of 5 beginners, 3 intermediates and 2 experienced skiers.

I'll break it down into the different parts of the trip starting with:

Transfers: Alpine Eagle
http://alpine-eagle.com
Nick at Alpine Eagle was superb. I was a bit unsure to book at first due to him not being as established as some as the bigger companies but I would certainly recommend him to anyone looking for private transfers. His communication was great in the booking and lead up to the trip. He was on time for both pick up and return and couldn't fault his service. He was also very competitively priced in comparison to others.

Grenoble Airport
As always, Grenoble airport was an experience. We landed (flew with BA) 10 minutes early but then couldn't get off as obviously a plane landing at an airport caught them off guard. We did the usual walk along the runway (surrounded by a foot of snow) and it took about 30 minutes to get through border control. Bags were waiting for us and then we were on our way.
On the return, the departures lounge was rammed (like normal) but our check in desk was empty so no queue. Result! A few of the group headed straight through security but was made use of the one restaurant for a quick feed before heading through security. Took about 30 minutes, so be weary of timings! The gates were like a cattle market as per normal.
We have come to learn to expect this at Grenoble and laugh it off. It's a small price to pay for...well the small price to fly there and the relative easy access to the Alps.

Oxygene
We booked all of our equipment and lessons with Oxygene. I dealt with a brilliant lady called Mathilde who put up with my endless questions. For our 5 beginners, we booked a very competitive "newbie package" with them which included skis, poles, helmet, lift pass (La Plagne) and lessons for about £370 each. The 3 intermediates just had lessons and ski hire and the 2 experienced skiers just skis. When we arrived in resort, I gave them a call and within 30 minutes they were up at the chalet with all our prebooked equipment. 30 minutes later, everyone was ready to hit the slopes. After a day or two, a couple of people wanted to change boots. No problem, they came up to the chalet and fitted some new boots. A superb service and meant we could enjoy a beer instead of heading to the shops.
The lessons were typically French. The group sizes where no bigger than 8 and was very much follow me and so what I do. However, we still learnt new stuff, worked on technique and felt we improved. Same deal with collecting the gear after our last day. Came up to the chalet about 7. No issues at all.
I'd recommend them to anyone heading to La Plagne.

Le Grizzli
Went here as a group of 10 on the hosts night off. Saw some really good reviews but I was bit underwhelmed to be honest. They do have a set menu for 38 euros which is better value but still, the food wasn't a patch on what we had in the chalet. I had the bone marrow to start, which I guess I just got a poor bone as after one spoon it had all gone! Steak for the main course which was a bit fatty and not the best cut. The dauphinoise potatoes were very nice however. The real star was the desert and the profiteroles. Blooming gorgeous! One of the group had raclette which was pricey but was very tasty. Our vegetarian was not particularly well catered for there and ended up with a rather boring dish of basically potatoes and cheese.
It wasn't bad per se, but not mind blowing either.

Chalet Bon Vie - Ice and Fire
http://www.ice-fire.co.uk/catered-ski-holiday-chalets-france/chalet-bon-vie-plagne-village
I can't speak highly enough of Ice & Fire and would thoroughly recommend them for a catered chalet trip. I believe Heather is on here as well!
The whole booking process was easy and there was great communication from Heather and the team in the lead up to the trip. Nothing was too much trouble and questions answered quickly.

The chalet is located right next to a blue run with access on foot from the road above or below. Be warned, if there is a lot of snow (like there was this year) this path will be covered in snow. Wear appropriate footwear! The chalet is ski in/out if the conditions allow. This year, we could have but again there was too much snow and the piste bashers had created a rather large snow pile which made this a bit tricky. However, it's still very easy to just walk up the steps and either get on the piste or head down to Plagne Centre via the free telebus.

The chalet itself is well presented, very clean and light above the ground floor. The down stairs rooms where a bit dark, due to the aforementioned snow blocking a few of the windows! The rooms are typical chalet rooms. Not tiny but not massive. We were in room 5 which had reasonable hanging space and places for our bags. We had an ensuite with a shower above a bath. As we were in the eaves, headroom was a bit tight but the shower was warm, powerful and it was nice to have a bath to rest weary legs as well. We had a fantastic view over to Aime La Plagne.
The lounge was comfortable, if a little cosy. It was nice to have to log burner but you didn't need to use it. The chalet was plenty warm enough but it obviously added the traditional "alpine" effect when lit.

And now the best bit. Our hosts, Graham and Sam. This is difference between a large company and a smaller run business. Rather than two 18 year olds on a gap year looking after us, we had two experienced hosts. Graham being an ex-restaurant manager.
We were made to feel incredibly welcome and again, nothing was too much trouble for them. The food was exceptional. Certainly better than the meal we had at the "Le Grizzli" on their night off. Canapes and cocktails followed by a 3 course meal with a cheese taster at the end. The food was plentiful (and I'm a big eater) and tasted amazing. Breakfast was always the perfect preparation for a day on the slope and the cakes for afternoon tea a delight. The additional free bar throughout the whole stay (instead of just dinner) was the cherry on top. The beer was regularly topped up and the wine almost on tap!
I can't recommend Chalet Bon Vie, Graham and Sam and Ice & Fire enough for an awesome ski holiday.

La Plagne resort
One of the reasons we went for La Plagne was the varied ski area to cater to all abilities in our group. And that it certainly did. Our learners loved the starter areas. Us intermediates loved the blues and reds and the experienced skiers loved to clock up the miles and hit a few of the more challenging runs.
Personally I feel like some of the blues were more like reds in places. Also, sometimes blues can be a bit boring but I found the blues in La Plagne had enough variation and challenge to actually be the preferred runs of choice for the whole group! Some of the reds were touching black in places (and the black we did in Plagne and in Arcs seemed more "red"). We all loved the ski area and on the one low vis day, heading down to Montalbert was a pleasure.
We were so lucky with the weather. 4 bluebird days, 1 snow day and 1 mixed bag.
On the Saturday we headed over to Les Arcs (when Arpette lift finally opened at 10!) and had no issues getting over in good time (it was transfer day for everyone else). We made our way over to the Aiguille Rouge run from the top. It was a blooming pleasure! We found the lifts quick (on the whole) and not many drags (which is always nice). The longest queue was 25 minutes for colossus in Bellecote to get us back to Village at the end of the day but that was our fault for timing it poorly. Apart from that one off, we didn't wait longer than 5 minutes.

So, a great week. I know La Plagne and it's lack of a central "heart" isn't everyone's cup of tea. But I'd go back there as I feel there is still a lot left to explore, especially over in Les Arcs a bit more. The real star of the show was the Ice & Fire team however.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A few photos!

Looking down to Belle Plagne and Bellecote

The top of the Aiguille Rouge in Les Arcs and looking across to Mont Blanc

The view of Aime from our bedroom

The piste between Village and Soleil (our chalet just up on the left)

Lovely Champagny
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I too would fully endorse 'Ice and Fire'! Their chalet hosts/chef produced excellent meals and service when we stayed with them in La Plagne, but Ice and Fire also demonstrated in many ways that they actually cared about their guests comforts and individual needs.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice report snowHead

But srsly, "Plagne Village"? Does every new block of flats become its own satellite resort these days?

What's next, "Plagne Cotswold"? "Plagne Cote d'Azur"? Plagne Versailles"?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh dear, these reports of Montalbert being a 'pleasure' Wonderful runs' etc etc are getting a bit too frequent Toofy Grin

The Ice and Fire chalets are all in very good locations.

@Fridge03, So are you going to be group organiser again Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@boredsurfin, It wasn't too painful. But I think next time I'll book somewhere and tell others to join us if they want! Haha
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the report Fridge03

I've eaten in the Grizzili a couple of times and not been impressed for the price.

I much prefer the giant pizzas in Casa d'Ours or the more basic food in Monica's
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ukredsox wrote:
Thanks for the report Fridge03

I've eaten in the Grizzili a couple of times and not been impressed for the price.

I much prefer the giant pizzas in Casa d'Ours or the more basic food in Monica's

I expect to pay more in the Alps for food out. But the steak was of poor quality. Perhaps they save the nicer cuts for those not ordering off the set menu they offer.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shameless bump of my own thread but finally got around to editing some footage from this trip - As you can see, the weather was mostly stunning (apart from 1 day) and huge amounts of snow!

La Plagne 2018

*It was also an excuse to go through the video and photos again in celebration of booking our next trip!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy