Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cleaning my kit

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, just returned from an amazing week in Alpe d’Huez where the conditions were perfect.
In previous years I have hired all my ski equipment, skis, boots and helmet.
This year I bought my own boots and helmet and was wondering what is the best way of cleaning thes two items before they go back in the loft? On some days there was bright sunshine and I must admit I got rather sweaty.
Cleaning boots shells is straight forward but how best can I clean and freshen the linings?
Similar the helmet as a fur style lining that I would prefer to clean without removing it. Not sure if it does come out but even if it did I would be very unsure about putting it back in correctly.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
DJ
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Drunkenjoiner, cat litter for the liners (there are lots of threads on this!). Are you sure that the helmet liner isn't attached with velcro so that it can be removed for washing? Very often the design is clever, so it's not obvious that they are easy to remove and put back.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have never cleaned either, also never cleaned my cycling helmets interiors. I'm still alive. Used boot dryers on last trip for first time, nice, but again I have managed without for 45 years previous.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't store your boots or helmet on the loft, as it can be quiet hot in the summer (even in Barnsley), and possibly subject to rodent damage. Usually somewhere cool and dark is recommended.

From the GIRO helmet website:

"After each use, allow the helmet to air dry and then store it in a cool, dry place where it won’t get damaged.

Note that excessive heat can damage your helmet. For example, in direct sunlight a dark gear bag, the interior of a car, or an automobile trunk can get hot enough to cause heat damage (damaged helmets will appear to have uneven or bubbly surfaces). Therefore, when not being used for a period of time we recommend that the helmet be placed back into its box or case and stored in a cool, dry place.".

From the Nornica boot website:

1. Preparing your boots for summer
At the end of the ski season, wash the shells (inside & out) with hot water and a mild detergent such as dish liquid. DO NOT use harsh detergents or solvents that may harm the plastic. Air-dry the shell. You’re in no rush.

With a damp cloth, wipe down the outside of each liner and the bottom of each foot bed. Let air-dry. DO NOT MACHINE OR HAND-WASH Nordica liners and never use harsh detergents or solvents that may damage them.

Once everything is dry, inspect the shells, liners, foot beds and buckles for signs of wear and tear. Make sure all the buckles work properly, and that all rivets and Allen screws are snug and in place. Replace or repair any missing parts.

2. Storing your boots for summer
Once your boots have passed inspection, place them in a clean, dry boot bag and store them in a cool, dry place. Avoid places (cottage attics and garages) where your boots may be exposed to nesting mice, chipmunks or ground squirrels.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi everyone
Thanks for all your input and advice.
Went for the air dried helmet and washed the outlets and inners of the boots with a damp cloth. Then put cat litter in the inners. The logic behind this is good.
Got loads of cat litter left if anybody is struggling Very Happy
Kind regards
DJ
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I store all my kit in a old hard shell suit case, so hopefully those mice don't get at it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonny996,
Same hear, we have three hard suitcases for my family and I’s winter kit.
Lived at my current property 19 years and never had a problem with mice.
Kind regards
DJ
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On the lift with Essex last week, he announced that he'd given the inside of his helmet a good wash the night before, cue a split second of silence before the rest of us nearly fell off the lift Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We just fully dry ours in the house before storing in a cupboard in the garage.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy