Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynastar X96 vs Rossignol Soul 7 HD

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know there are plenty of similar threads but...

I'm approx 177cm and 63kg, I've spent 3 weeks in the Alps (3 valleys) and 2 weeks in Utah and am hoping to get away for 2 weeks next winter.

Most recently I spent a week in VT around Christmas where I hired skis, I used 171cm Atomic Vantage X77 and generally stuck to pistes, (mainly reds but also did every black that I went past) as I was skiing on my own but would like to do more off pistes.
They felt fine on piste and fine when icey but I didn't particularly enjoy them in powder (Or worse - windswept piste transitioning to powder filled hollows).

The main thing holding back my skiing is probably confidence, I like to be 'in control' and the steeper and bumpier it gets the more inclined I am to slow down, usually to the detriment of flow/rhythm and most other aspects!
I would have said I was confident carving down blues and plenty of reds, probably most of them given reasonable visibility rather than snow/flat light around Christmas this year! But I'm sure my technique could do with considerable improvement!
The blacks I am happy to steadily work my way down but usually fairly tight skidding turns sbut I would like to be able to flow smoothly down them and have the confidence to carry more speed down them.

I am considering buying some skis to allow me to enjoy the off piste more particularly if we get weather like this year again or I go to the US again but I am aware that I will still do plenty on piste and there isn't always the option of too much powder dependent on when I can get away.

A few stood out for me but possibly not for any specifically valid reason, perhaps there are "better" but that stood out for me -
The Rossignol Soul 7 HD (2018) seems quite popular but might be a bit too much "freeride" for me, also being fairly light it's probably wider than I need?
The Dynastar Legend x106 (2018) looks pretty comparable to the Soul 7 HD but likewise a bit wide than I probably need which might be at detriment to my piste skiing?
The Dynastar Legend x96 (2018) perhaps would be a better ski for me?

Appreciate any thoughts on these or specific others?

and also any suggestions in terms of length, I would have thought the 178cm Dynastar Legend x96 (2018) would probably be about right, don't want to go too long and have my development suffer but equally I would like sufficient length to learn to ski "properly" and smoothly on as I improve.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would suggest White Dot Ones for on piste and White Dot Preachers for off piste, sharing one pair of bindings with Quiver Killer mounts to make transporting them really easy. See my ad under the for sale forum Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe keep hiring, but swap different widths of skis?

I tried Soul 7’s on the premise of doing more off piste, but found them to remove a lot of the joys of on Piste carving and holding an edge.

I have just done an off piste week, where in reality we were 60:40 on and off piste and I found the Brahma 88’s to provide float while still enjoying the on piste, I am now looking to buy something in the 85 to 90mm width, which I think will work just fine in French resorts.

You are not very heavy, so I would have thought that you will get plenty of float, and I wouldn’t have thought that you need a big powerful ski.

I am not suggesting that this is the answer, just that you could try different widths before parting with the cash.

Your description of skiing on black runs suggests that a couple of hours of one to one lessons might open up some different ski options.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dynastar make great skis....manage to be damp, yet lively and not too hard to manage. The new Legends would be much better On Piste than the Soul 7, but probably harder work Off (depending on your ability).

I think (much like DavidYacht), that at your weight, you you don't need something heavy and damp. For Off Piste, but also competent On Piste, I would look at light, playful skis like Atomic Vantage CTi, Scott Slight (or The Ski) and Head Kore....or if Female, the Women's version if necessary.

Most of these models come in different widths...and the only way to know for sure, is to demo them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Dynastars are much stiffer and damper than the Rossis. They're great skis, but at your weight I think you will find them rather planky and hard work - unless you are willing to keep the speed up.

I'd take a look at the Salomon QST 99.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you for the thoughts, having had a look at these other options that have been suggested I'm quite fancying the Head Kore 93. Any suggestions on length, 180s?

Thanks all.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If I have read you right, you have 5 weeks experience, lack a little confidence and like to be in control....so given that, I think you would be looking at the 171s. Going too long at this stage "could" have the opposite effect to what you are hoping for.

At your weight, I suspect you will find the shorter length easier On Piste and have enough float Off Piste.....but take other advice and do a dem if possible.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy