Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andorra roaming

Poster: A snowHead
off to Andorra at half term and wondering if anyone has found a reasonable roaming solution.

I previously found the chances of reaching a french network from Pas De La Casa pretty slim.

It looked like plusnet claim to but just don't deliver plus options for local sims are in the region of €30 too and may have to jump through hoops a bit to buy in the first place.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I usually use the free wifi in the restaurants having lunch. Other than that, I bought a pair of Motorola TLK80 to keep in touch with wife, which might seem a bit extreme but it's actually the cost of two penalty bills from the phone!

I would assume any solution would depend on your own mobile package?

I've never looked into buying an Andorran PAYG sim, maybe I should.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BT used to but they don't now. I think the problem is that the Andorran mobile company gouge the price because they can so eventually the mobile companies notice and put the prices up accordingly. Also I don't think any of the UK providers support data in Andorra. The mountain WiFi which comes free with your ski pass in grandvillara works well and is available at the top of some lifts as well as restaurants. You need to have an account for the WiFi but easy enough to create before hand.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah the SIM is expensive and at the start of my season there I discovered that you could only buy it in from Andorra Telecom or whatever it's called, in Andorra la Vella.

So basically, not much of a solution. Like orange200, the rest of the time when I don't have a SIM I find that using cheap walkie-talkies from Decathlon is a decent alternative.

Whatever you do, don't accidentally leave your data connection on! I did so once after crossing the border and the bill was unpleasant. (I'm slightly ashamed to admit that, once back in Spain, I rang up my operator and claimed that I had been hiking in Spainnear the border and didn't expect to be switched to an Andorran provider, which they kindly accepted and refunded the charge. Not sure if that would work if you tried to do that with a provider from a non-bordering country though!)

My old car met its end in Andorra once. It was worth it, because my insurance would have charged me for getting it to the scrapyard had it happened in Spain, but because it happened abroad (although Andorra doesn't seem very "abroad" from Spain or France) it was free. I made up for that by paying €65 for the approx. 15 minutes of calls from my mobile getting everything sorted out Mad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ouch Pyremaniac expensive.

Apart from the cost worried if I'll connect at all if needed. Can't remember if T-Mobile or 3 connected at all. Then 9 yr old strained ligaments in a lesson and I only found out as I'd been shadowing both classes.

Then followed trying to stay in touch with Mum at home!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pretty much what everybody said. You need to but the SIM in Andorra la Vella itself. You need to take your passport and the address of the hotel / partment where you are staying. The cost for the SIM is €15 which you can then utilise as follows:

- €5 gets you 500MB of data for up to 7 days
- €2 gets your 100MB (I think) of data for up to 2 days
- €1 gets you 50MB of data for 24h.

One thing to note is that there is hardly any area in Andorra that is not covered by MobilAnd, so you are pretty much ensured of always getting 3G/4G whereever you are.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Found this site which appears to show that Pas De la Casa is well served by Orange from France. Not sure of accuracy, but going there myself at the beginning of March so I'm hoping it's accurate.
https://www.nperf.com/en/map/ES/3130067.Andorra/-/signal/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great info

Thank you

Frontera blanca appts on the snowfront are the in a 2g area just before nothing from any roaming network (wasn't just me then !)

Trip to LA Vella probably too much hassle. Probably have to get more walkie talkies and stay in the same valley as kids during lessons and rely on appt and resort wiFi the rest.

Surprisingly difficult to buy local access in an area with a large tourism income.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Andorra's still gripped by a telecoms monopoly the likes of which other western European countries haven't seen for years (thank goodness). Damn fine fibre optic available over pretty much the entire country though... So at least the money was being spent usefully
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Haven't we been spoiled in the last 20 years! How did anyone go skiing on family holidays in the 80s and survive!! Very Happy

@MikeM, Pas might be, but part of the attraction of Grandvalira area is the ability to get around it - where other parts may not be reached by the French network.

Anyway, hope it works out Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have an Irish Sim card with Eir and last week there was no extra roaming data charges in Andorra, much to my surprise!

Might be worth checking with your provider
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mrvinegar, that’s a cracking deal. I’ve been looking through their website and it’s quite confusing but there just seems to be loads of variations. Alas they don’t send sims to England though.

Shame as that’s the best one I’ve seen so far.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds like your on to something, mrvinegar! I feel a moneysavingexpert moment coming on on this thread!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow mrvinegar cracking deal, probably a bit late for this trip but will be watching keenly.

Wish I'd asked earlier I might have had time to give this a try, I guess would need registering in a handset in Ireland first.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Orange200 wrote:
Haven't we been spoiled in the last 20 years! How did anyone go skiing on family holidays in the 80s and survive!! Very Happy

@MikeM, Pas might be, but part of the attraction of Grandvalira area is the ability to get around it - where other parts may not be reached by the French network.

I quite like the idea of being away from mobile phones whilst skiing, I tend to only use mine for calling home when I get back to the my accomodation. So I'm hoping I'll get the best of both worlds, isolation during the day and back to the rest of the world in the evening - can't wait. Never skiied Andorra before and really looking forward to it signal or not snowHead
snow conditions
MikeM wrote:
Orange200 wrote:

I quite like the idea of being away from mobile phones whilst skiing, I tend to only use mine for calling home when I get back to the my accomodation. So I'm hoping I'll get the best of both worlds, isolation during the day and back to the rest of the world in the evening - can't wait. Never skiied Andorra before and really looking forward to it signal or not snowHead

I'd love the idea but still being responsible for 3 children even when they are in Ski School puts a dampener on that Happy

woohoo 2g if I'm lucky Happy

https://www.nperf.com/en/map/FR/-/12.Orange/signal/?ll=42.53688490976484&lg=1.733314835023534&zoom=16

Plenty of snow it can stop now Very Happy
latest report
^Can you update this thread when you get there and let me know what reception is like in the village? I can then look at alternatives re WiFi if I can't phone home.

Also an update at the same time re snow would be really great snowHead
Have a good time
snow conditions
Hi MikeM,

Your link previously is the best indication of roaming and Orange FR looks best

https://www.nperf.com/en/map/FR/-/12.Orange/signal/?ll=42.53688490976484&lg=1.733314835023534&zoom=16

As for Snow

https://www.grandvalira.com/webcams-directo

Look about best

And as an independent trip and a bus transfer from Toulouse avidly checking roads for peace of mind.

http://www.mobilitat.ad/ca/

Hope my browsing history isn't looked at too much this week!! Laughing
snow conditions
Has anyone had any luck with data roaming in Andorra in the last year or so? My mobile is with Plusnet, who claim to cover Andorra in their free EU roaming, but am wondering if anyone has tried it.
ski holidays
Haven’t looked since the above but a few emails to plusnet should clarify?

Do check data limits though. It seems data is really cheap in UK, I can tell you it’s really expensive in Portugal, so don’t expect a similar deal. Tip, download google or other maps offline before you get there. Ask me how I know...
latest report
A couple of years ago there was a person with a Plusnet connection in the hotel I was in and he got data ok. Sign up for the free WiFi which you get with the lift pass as that works at the top and bottom of most of the lifts and in the restaurants. WhatsApp works well with it.
I'm on Giffgaff and data doesn't work at all which is lucky as it's £5 a mb!
snow report
I live in Andorra, and I managed to get a plusnet SIM card, roaming is working, but only at 3G speeds.
latest report
As an update to this recently rejuvenated thread, Andorra telecom now has 5g in many places, 4g almost everywhere else and 3G if you’re in the back of beyond!

They also offer a tourist eSim https://www.andorratelecom.ad/en/business/landline-and-mobile-telephony/mobile-landline/esim
ski holidays
They offer 5G, but only for Andorra Telecom customers, for foreign SIM cards 4g or 3g only. Now I have an Orange France SIM Card, and I have 4G, now definitely I ditch plusnet because of the 3G speeds.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy