Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do we need a car in Les Carroz

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, we are a family of 4 going to Les Carroz for the first time for a short break starting Easter Sunday (1 April), flying to Geneva. Our 17 year old daughter is a non skier and is still to be persuaded to have a go. My question is: should we hire a car from Geneva (transfer looks quite expensive for 4) so that we can take our daughter up to Flaine, bearing in mind she won't be able to ski there and back. Or is there a good bus service that will run in the evenings in early April from Les Carroz as well. Or, is there so much to do in Les Carroz, she won't need to come up to Flaine. Any advice appreciated. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If a hire car is a good way to do your transfer, go for it. A lot would depend on whether your daughter has lessons. If she's a doubtful starter, for goodness' sake don't let her start without an instructor! Presumably there'll be more choice in Flaine (for a non standard break private lessons might be the answer, and probably best if she's very nervous) and obviously she won't be able to ski from Les Carroz to Flaine. Sorry, don't know about buses - but somebody will!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks very much for your reply Pam. Because we have never been to Flaine before, I am not quite sure how much there is to do in the resort for non skiers, as opposed to down in Les Carroz for example. I noticed there is husky sledding, parapenting etc. If anyone has any experience of these, particularly whether you need to book ahead, how much is likely to be open/available over Easter weekend. I am also worried that, as we are arriving on Easter Sunday. Will the ski hire shops be open to get our equipment on Sunday/BH Monday. I know I should have thought of these things before we booked but we were quite limited on dates. Thanks
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would hire the car as it will be worth it for the transfer cost alone and you'd be able to stock up with food on your way up the mountain.

We have been to Les Carroz several times and always stayed at the foot of the slopes. The village is not that big so we have not really needed the car. The only exception to this has been if we have ever wanted to drive up to Flaine and just ski there for the day rather than skiing over from Les Carroz. In your case this might be a good option as your daughter would be able to take the lift up to the top in Flaine and sit on a deckchair looking at Mont Blanc whilst you do a bit of skiing. There is no bus from Les Carroz to Flaine.

However there is certainly no need to drive to Flaine for ski lessons. The ESF is very good in Les Carroz and the instructors are friendly.

The huskies are based around the Molliets near Les Carroz I think..there might be a bus up that far. I'd imagine there would be at least as much to do in Les Carroz as Flaine in terms of non skiing activities. There is the newish Aquacime pool complex and I'm sure you could do snow shoeing. Have a look at the Tourist office website.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And absolutely everything will be open as usual over the Easter weekend. No worries on that score. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah, thank you both, that is so helpful!! Am so excited, we used to be keen skiers but have not really been able to go since we had our son 20 years ago (apart from a couple of short breaks) as we couldn't really afford to take them all and our older daughter was never keen. Our middle daughter, who is 15, went with school and has now got the bug! Thanks again
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd say a car is a better option at Easter as it gives you flexibility. As others have said, you can shop and it's easier to collect / change skis as well. Over the last few years when Tourmaline got a bit scratchy I'd drive over to Flaine and park - get there before 10am for a good slot on busy days. Hubby and the kids would often ski over, but we'd have the flexibility to get in the car rather than slog/sweat back in the sunshine. Your non-skiing daughter can then sample the delight of the top of Flaine (DMC) without having to tackle what can be a tiring ski over and back. Depending on what time you arrive in Les Carroz you might see the Easter Egg hunt in full flow...we'll be there by then so the kids will be torn, masses of free chocolate or a full day skiing! The dog sledges get very busy and you have to book, so I'd get onto that ASAP. The parapenting is weather dependent, so best to check when in resort, as I can't recall how / where / often they pop off at Easter. The market on a Tuesday is worth a look, if only to try have a few tasters and goggle at the prices! @snowymum is right, the ESF in Les Carroz is really very good, and so you could consider booking your daughter into a few private lessons so she can give it a try without the pressure of a bigger group. She can also go up the Les Carroz telecabine as a foot passenger, and meet you for lunch / coffee at the K Lounge at the top. She can also stroll up the side of the green and sit about in the sunshine (if we are lucky!). Les Carroz is a village, not a town like Chamonix and so for a 17 year old might get a bit dull if you don't book some activities. The pool /spa is a good shout and there is also a horse riding stable. The local goat farm is also often open on a Friday. A trip to Annecy is also great but you'd need to sacrifice a day skiiing, so it'll depend on the family dynamics. Have fun, look out for us when there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you so much for all the great advice, this forum is fantastic!! I will def have a look at the dog sledding, I think she would love that. Let's hope for lots of lovely Spring sunshine Smile I did wonder if we should have gone to a bigger resort but liked the sound of the Flaine ski area and we have never been to the GM
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@galloa, I've stayed in both LC and Flaine, I really like the GM as a ski area. I've been 8 times! There's not a great deal to do in Flaine for non skiers, and Skiiing over to Flaine from Les Carroz is not suitable for a beginner to attempt on their first weeks skiing. The lift pass can be bought in two options from LC, the full GM or excluding the Flaine bowl, the second being the best option for a beginner, if you go to Flaine for the day you can buy a day pass or a pedestrian ticket to get to the top station which gives fantastic views over Mont Blanc. We have only ever skiiied so can't give any advice on the other activities, but there's a lovely cake/coffee shop in LC on the road from the main Sq towards the gondola, and a deli place in the Sq which does take away evening meals if your sc.
There are a a lot of hairpin bends on the way up into LC from the valley, not something you will want to do daily.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Info superseded by next post.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 6-02-18 12:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
See https://www.altibus.com/reservation/horaires.aspx?cp=fr&rt=FOU24&dA=03/04/2018&dR=08/04/2018 for times of the public busses to and from Flaine to Carroz
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy