Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles strap under or over your helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
Quick poll of sorts.

Goggles strap under or over the helmet?

I prefer my goggles strap over my helmet, but seem to see more and more have their's under. My main reason is for easy removal of goggles to chat while taking a quick break. Not sure of any benefits to those that have it under??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ve always gone over. It would be exceedingly uncomfortable (not sure i could even get my helmet in) with the strap underneath as it has a big buckle (not sure that is correct term for it maybe catch is better).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Under. I don't take my goggles off so it's just neater and easier to have the strap there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helmets have a clip on the back to hold goggle straps in place. Given that goggle straps are not completely flat (adjusters, clips, etc.), they would be most uncomfortable directly against the head and would potentially cause more of an injury in the event of hitting the head. It also suggests to me the the helmet does not fit correctly if there is room inside it for the goggle strap. I've never seen a goggle strap worn under a helmet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My helmet has clips on the outside, and goggles have two strips of plastic round the inside of the strap to stop slipping, so naturally I put it over.

Never occurred to me to put it under. Yes, if strap was under, how to remove goggles without removing helmet first?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Over... unless you are 15years old kid looking super cool with 3 size too big helmet put way back to your neck and wool cap under it. Then of course under. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was going to laugh at the question until I saw @philwig's post Shocked
Never remotely occurred to wear the strap under - there is a metal adjuster that is going to dig in if your helmet fits properly surely? And they put a clip on the back of your helmet specifically for the purpose of holding the strap. Plus doesn't it mean you need to take your helmet off if you want to lift your goggles for a moment?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mine is over, my lads is under. Whatever way you wish.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very Happy
philwig wrote:
Under. I don't take my goggles off so it's just neater and easier to have the strap there.

Weirdo! Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under. looks better (shallow as a puddle) and i can take my helmet off easier
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jedster, I thought it was an odd question (also odd to wear under), but seeing Ed Leigh on Ski sunday wearing his under, so thought i'd ask if it was a "thing". Seems more than expected do.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just read this and had to try the "under" style, looks ok-ish, the buckle doesn't hurt but the helmet pulls my hair, ok if you're a baldy or have short hair I guess............
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia wrote:
Helmets have a clip on the back to hold goggle straps in place. Given that goggle straps are not completely flat (adjusters, clips, etc.), they would be most uncomfortable directly against the head and would potentially cause more of an injury in the event of hitting the head. It also suggests to me the the helmet does not fit correctly if there is room inside it for the goggle strap. I've never seen a goggle strap worn under a helmet.

I understood all of this prior to my post, but seems as though some do wear them under.

I have Oakley Flight Deck's and the strap is low profile, so can actually be worm under the helmet (I tried it last night, and though overall it was uncomfortable, it did not hurt my head). If I'm honest it also made the goggles fit better to my face.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under is more stupid than the arguments that road cyclists have about Oakleys under or over the helmet straps

people really put goggles under helmet?
weird.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Depends. Have worn them under if they were fogging up because of weird fit not working with helmet or if was very hot and wanted to take helmet off a lot to cool down but wanted to keep eyes covered (wind, rain, snow or goggles which I didn't want to take off becuae they would fog up or get wet inside then). Never had comfort or fit issues.
Pretty much always these days it's over. Never find the need to take helmet off without taking goggles off - but I don't really mind either way.
snow report
Mine go over, but I was surprised when I bought my most recent goggles (only about 15 months ago) that many had straps too short to go over a helmet.
snow conditions
If you have room for a goggle strap (and buckle) under your helmet then you bought the wrong helmet - or possibly your head has since shrunk.

Although I'd agree they look significantly cooler under rather than over. No problem so long as you are conscious (no pun intended) of the trade off being made.
ski holidays
Under. With the strap under the goggles aren't distorted (I have a massive head) and my prescription goggle inserts remain in place. Also, the goggles don't fog up as much from moving them to my forehead and backdown again. If its a hot day, I'd rather just carry my helmet on gondolas and then kit up when I'm ready.
snow report
I can't ever recall seeing "under"
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:

This.
ski holidays
If there is a look under the helmet this look potential can damage the skull on impact, as it is a local force applied ( Punching shear)- not at good idea. Have never seen strap under the helmet.

For safty reason never do that. Shocked
ski holidays
Hyst wrote:
not at good idea. Have never seen strap under the helmet.

The Olympics will be on TV soon. If you watch the Slope Style competition I think you might be surprised how many of the competitors wear their goggles under their helmet.
latest report
Oceanic wrote:
Hyst wrote:

The Olympics will be on TV soon. If you watch the Slope Style competition I think you might be surprised how many of the competitors wear their goggles under their helmet.

Well that does not make it save - or? Puzzled
snow conditions
@philwig, Do you also have the crotch of your trousers below your knees? NehNeh
snow conditions
Def goggles over the helmet (safety and comfort). Underpants over salopettes - superman style. Shocked
ski holidays
Hyst wrote:
Oceanic wrote:
Hyst wrote:

Well that does not make it save - or? Puzzled

Are you claiming that you know more about safety in skiing than the olympic athletes, their coaches and the officials who set safety rules for the competition?
ski holidays
Quote:

Have never seen strap under the helmet.
+1
snow report
Has to be under otherwise it interferes with the mechanism for the visor Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have never noticed anyone with theirs under. My helmet is designed for goggles over, my goggles designed to go over...ergo
snow conditions
Swissie wrote:
Quote:

Have never seen strap under the helmet.
+1

You have now...

Image from this (long and not very interesting) video produced by a helmet manufacturer

https://coolerlifestyle.com/videos/making-of-caja-schopfs-tsg-pro-model-helmet.html

Edit: Not sure why people keep commenting that they have never seen goggles worn under a helmet? Surely all this does is prove that they lack a wide range of experience of different aspects of skiing?

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 1-02-18 16:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Over for a correctly fitting helmet and protection, under for fashion.
snow report
Another under the helmet goggle wearer here. No earflaps and the goggle strap sits low, so isn't really inside the helmet pressing against my head.
ski holidays
A strap under my helmet would interfere with my music.
ski holidays
Roscoe wrote:
Quick poll of sorts.

Goggles strap under or over the helmet?

Don't generally wear a helmet, but when I do, goggles over helmet.

I don't have a problem with goggles under (if people like the look and their helmet is shaped in a way that makes it work).

'Strap Stash - Allows the Goggle Strap to Run Comfortably Under the Helmet for a Super Low Profile Look.'

From

https://www.boardwise.co.uk/products/anon-w16-rodan-helmet
snow conditions
Discussed here in 2011: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=71981

Helmet manufacturers have been specifically accommodating both approaches for some time eg https://whitelines.com/archive/features/debate/helmets-cool.html/4

I tried both ways and "under" works best for me.

I don't have a problem with people wearing their goggles over their helmet, other than the fact that it perhaps makes them sound old wink
latest report
“lack a wide range of experience”

Puzzled Puzzled

Skied for 47 years, typically 60 days a year, probably over 1,400 days total...
latest report
The googles under helmet, when combined with the oversized beanie, and chin strap strap so loose that the helmet can be pushed back (without undoing the chin strap) allowing the goggles to be pushed onto forehead. Basically ticking the wearing a helmet box, without wearing a helmet.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
“lack a wide range of experience”

Puzzled Puzzled

I knew you'd bite. I said ' lack a wide range of experience of different aspects of skiing' How many of those 1400 days were spent in a snow park?
snow report
under a new name wrote:

That just means you are old and should take a trip to Specsavers. wink

(I've never seen it either in around 46 years.....but Helmets have only been widely worn for considerably less than half that).
snow report
@Old Fartbag, haha I did last time I was in the UK.

Varifocal lenses? Meh!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy