Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late-Season Jacket?

Poster: A snowHead
After 5 good years, my Ski jacket has packed it in and no amount of gaffer tape will fix it as it's just been sun bleached. My black jacket is now a odd bronze colour and it's probably time to get a new one. The issue I'm having with finding one is that I tend to go skiing in early March as it's cheaper, after school holidays and I've found it is actually pretty reliable for fresh snow.

My temp regulation is a bit weird and I produce crazy heat when I exercise so I absolutely cook in my current black North Face one. I thought about getting a soft shell hoodie as there are a few knocking around but I do worry that it would be a bit lacking on those days when it decides to absolutely dump it down.

Hoping to not spend too much on it (£100-150) because I'm not going to be using it in deep-winter, I don't need top-notch Gore, just decent quality and waterproofing (10k maybe?)

Flexible on colour so long as it works with my black Bern lid.

This one looks OK but no armpit vents is a bit of a put-off: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/slide-500-mens-black-id_8398204.html

Any help would be much appreciated!! Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at the Scott Jackets here: http://www.sports-outlet.co.uk/categories/mens/jackets?brands=17&dir=asc&limit=36&order=price
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look at Sports Pursuit. I can recommend the Kilpi shell jacket.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Plenty of good stuff in Decathlon, mountain and walking section. Shell-
type jackets preferable I would suggest for your requirements, plus a thin puffer or fleece for underneath.
Personally never bother with pit zips, control temp through neck, front zip & number of layers (or not, if warm).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use a thin shell pretty much all season but regulate the heat by using different thicknesses of fleece under it or no fleece if it's sunny, just a base layer.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Grizzler wrote:
Plenty of good stuff in Decathlon, mountain and walking section. Shell-
type jackets preferable I would suggest for your requirements, plus a thin puffer or fleece for underneath.
Personally never bother with pit zips, control temp through neck, front zip & number of layers (or not, if warm).

I was in decathlon today actually trying on those jackets and had a look at their basic waterproof shells. The problem I had with them was none of them really looked like a ski jacket to me. They looked kinda more like Kagools. I'm not overly vain (not fussed about brand anymore, for example) but I would like it too at least look like a Ski jacket. Perhaps it was just the ones they happened to have in today.

The other option I'm actually quite seriously considering is Aldi!!

https://www.aldi.co.uk/inoc-men%27s-ski-3-in-1-layer-jacket/p/078360189105601

Looks almost identical to my old North Face one but without the logo, 10k/10k technical and a removable jacket to help with adjusting temp. Am I crazy or is that actually a really solid deal?

Could get that and an oversize hoodie for the really hot days all for under £150!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When its really warm (mid March) I ski in a thin softshell, I can layer up underneath if it I need to, but I mostly ski in a hardshell, so its waterproof, windproof and bombproof, but it can also layer up underneath if I'm getting too cold (or layer down if its too hot).

Lots of places to look for that price -

Sportpursuit https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/best-07012018?sport=Skiing&type=Jackets&special_price=0-150&gender=Male

Alpinetrek https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/ski-jackets/for--men/?filterPrice[]=57-148

Sports Direct https://www.sportsdirect.com/sale/skiing/all#dcp=1&dppp=100&OrderBy=rank&Filter=AFLOR%5EMens%7CCATG%5EJackets%7CAPRI%5E0-150

at that price, this might be you best bet, https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1094686 but there are cheaper jackets out there
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Koprich wrote:
The problem I had with them was none of them really looked like a ski jacket to me. They looked kinda more like Kagools. I'm not overly vain (not fussed about brand anymore, for example) but I would like it too at least look like a Ski jacket.

What's a ski jacket supposed to look like.?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FrequentFaller wrote:
Koprich wrote:
The problem I had with them was none of them really looked like a ski jacket to me. They looked kinda more like Kagools. I'm not overly vain (not fussed about brand anymore, for example) but I would like it too at least look like a Ski jacket.

What's a ski jacket supposed to look like.?

Bit bulkier maybe?

Obviously that's the padding though, which I'm not keen on! Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Norrøna Lyngen Hybrid Jacket

£150, available in size S to XL and in a few different colors.

Designed for ski touring so should be good for spring skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have an armless ski jacket (waistcoat/gilet) that I find great for late-season - usually in conjunction with a long sleeve top underneath.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for the Kilpi soft shells - very well priced and a soft shell with almost all the features you'd expect in a regular insulated jacket.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spoon wrote:
Norrøna Lyngen Hybrid Jacket

£150, available in size S to XL and in a few different colors.

Designed for ski touring so should be good for spring skiing.

Love the look of that jacket! Looks like it would be super-breathable.

Having to pay postage back to Norway if it doesn't fit/I don't like it is off-putting though. Online shopping is always a bit of a dice roll so no guarantees I like it when it arrives.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I really like Protest snow wear. I have 2 of their ski jackets and both my wife and daughter have Protest salopettes. Surfdome is a great online shop with an excellent returns service:

https://www.surfdome.com/protest_snow_jackets_-_protest_mount_17_snow_jacket_-_asphalt-277804

Or protest.eu for the manufacturers webshop.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mrashton wrote:
I really like Protest snow wear. I have 2 of their ski jackets and both my wife and daughter have Protest salopettes. Surfdome is a great online shop with an excellent returns service:

https://www.surfdome.com/protest_snow_jackets_-_protest_mount_17_snow_jacket_-_asphalt-277804

Or protest.eu for the manufacturers webshop.

That's a nice jacket! £160 is a really good price for a 20k/20k jacket!

It looks to be quite heavily insulated though so whilst it's a great replacement for my current jacket, I think I'd still need a separate soft shell for those warm March days.

This Planks Soft Shell Hoodie looks ideal and would be super-useful back in the UK but then I'm looking at £240 all-in which is a fair bit more than I really wanted to spend.

https://www.surfdome.com/planks_snow_jackets_-_planks_dropout_softshell_snow_jacket_-_black-278289#sizeguide
snow conditions
I bought this one last year which I'm really happy with. Yes "only" 10k but quite light and very comfortable on the slopes. https://www.protest.eu/shop/product/men/snow/snowjackets/teddy/?pa_color=897&channel_code=1199&s2m_product_id=6710762_897&gclid=CjwKCAiAksvTBRBFEiwADSBZfEy6fNfOjfnjCJyFUyx3EH1cIy5RVZYWZIOMBQiehaXK9As43qAxJRoCngEQAvD_BwE

And they have them available at a great price.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 1-02-18 12:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
+! for Decathalon. Also, I'd seriously look at TKMaxx. I have not bought full price ski gear for years, but have Salomon double soft shell, 2 x Mountain Force trousers, Vokl Jacket, Hyra jacket all from TK. Often best time to look in TK is Oct onwards. I have an Aldi soft shell, it's good at repelling water / snow but the back of my arms get cold if it is even slightly windy. Of course, this is all ladies wink
snow conditions
The Aldi one actually looks very decent. I go for a thinish jacket and if its colder just vary the number of thin base layers / mid layer fleece. That way if you warm up you can shed a layer quite easily and stuff it in a pocket or tie round your waist above your jacket snow skirt.
ski holidays
Ended up going for these two:

https://www.surfdome.com/planks_snow_jackets_-_planks_dropout_softshell_snow_jacket_-_black-278289#

https://www.aldi.co.uk/inoc-men%27s-ski-3-in-1-layer-jacket/p/078360189105601

Gonna get a feel for the quality and if I like them, they should cover all bases!

Thanks all for the suggestions! Some of those websites linked had some amazing options!
snow conditions
Great stuff, let us know how you get on.
ski holidays
@Koprich, cool, they look good
latest report
Update:

The Aldi jacket is really quite impressive!

The outer layer is just a hard-shell (no insulation/lining at all) but it's got decent, waterproof zips, fully-taped seams, air vents under the arms and a good hood that you can fit your helmet under. I got an XL so it was a little oversized like I like and the fit is very good. There is one downside to it though which is no powder skirt. I've never felt like those skirts do a damn thing when I eat-poo-poo in powder anyway but it's worth noting, it doesn't have one.

The inner layer is a super-cozy padded jacket. Very nice to wear and has a powder skirt for gloves build in but still nothing for the waistline.

All in all, for £90, I cannot believe how decent it is! Definitely keeping it.

The Planks softshell hoodie was a major let-down. Has some weird fault where it billows out around the solar plexus because the fabric:zip ratio isn't quite right. You get some strange point sticking out of your chest when walking around, looks ridiculous! I sent one back and got a second to check it wasn't just a one-off manufacturing fault but the second is the exact same.

Shame because otherwise it's a very cool hoodie but I would not recommend.
snow report
Thanks @Koprich for the update, really good to read the feedback. Especially for the softshell as I was tempted by that one. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy