Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen this Easter?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Looking into possibilities of making it a long Easter holiday and turned my eyes towards Mayrhofen, mostly due to the proximity to Innsbruck and the Hintertux glacier.

Still, Mayrhofen's slopes aren't particularly high, so I'm wondering if it's worth our time this Easter? Budget-wise, it would be the best option. My concern, perhaps, is that if we are confined to skiing in Hintertux, the place may be overcrowded by other skiers having the same issue. Any thoughts on this?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mayrhofen town is low but the skiing is high and the lift system is pretty efficient.
Been there the last 5 years in April and I've always found it good (but I'm not particularly fussy).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't worry about the snow, its almost always great at Easter, been there then almost every year since 2001.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2124833&highlight=family#2124833

However you should be aware that the "Snowbombing" event takes place around then, during that week it will be very noisy and busy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't call myself particularly fussy, but I dislike slushy moguls and the wife is a bit fussy. Ideally, I would like to see altitudes close to 3000m. Beyond, if possible. That's why I'm also looking at Sölden, but finding accommodation on a budget seems a bit more of a challenge.

Lovely pictures, JimboS! Not concerned about the Snowbombing, since the event is the weekend after Easter.

Since you both seem to like Mayrhofen particularly much, can I ask what are the causes for this love affair?

Cheers!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For us since 2001 it has been snow sure, we have almost always had powder days every year right into the second half of April, although you do have to combine that with some slush on the lower runs on hot days. That brings me onto the hot days, we have had a hit rate of 70% wall to wall sunshine, which means that when you come off the mountain in the afternoon, the village can feel like British summertime. Shorts and Ts are a must. Easter is also generally fairly quite with few to no lift queues, especially now there is a new Penken gondola, it was a bad pinch point in the past.

On the days when the heat is just too much we head up to Hintertux for better snow, then hit the Hohenhaus Tenne for sunstroke treatment.

Then there is the village, its just the right size, lots of great restaurants, cafes and bars with a great feel and vibe, there are great forest walks and of course the crazy golf.

We normally do 2 or 3 ski weeks each year, so far this year a week in St Anton and a long week and in Ischgl, but we always spend Easter in Mayrhofen to finish off the season.

Love the two guys in this video who took their trumpets on a skiing trip, typical Easter day up at Hintertux, just don't forget your factor 50 sun screen.

http://youtube.com/v/zlBAQNcR1PA

PS we did Solden a couple of years ago and there is no comparison to the Hof.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 30-01-18 15:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ditto, and the kids love the ski school.
Its nice to have winter up on the mountain and come back down to summer in the town.
And its cheapish and easy by rail to get to from Munich if DIY flying.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’m off to Mayrhofen this Easter and looking forward to it. Got flights to Munich, a hire car, a SC appartment, some lessons for junior, lift passes and equipment for £2000 (2 adults, 2 kids). Have thoroughly enjoyed skiing the Amade region for the last 6/7 years but fancied a change. I have never been to the Ziller Valley before but have heard many good things about it particularly Mayrhofen. Did quite a bit of research into Easter and this are seemed to be quite reliable towards the end of the season. Any must do’s from the knowledgeable on here? Stuff for kids (11&9) apres bars that would be ok to take kids to? Cheapish places to eat?

Cheers and have a nice time if you book 😎
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We spent 10 days end of March beginning of April last year. Caught the start of Snowbombing.

Typical spring skiing. Ice, corn, slush but if you follow the sun you get great skiing all day. Sun was glorious for first week then last few days we had fresh snow.

Plenty of the slopes towards off the Penken are North facing so are fine late in season. Rastkogel are high enough to be good even in the sun.

Run down to village from Ahorn closed mid week due to 20 degrees in village. Who cares! It was amazing and felt like summer.

We spent a couple of days at the glacier with the kids on the days off from ski school. Wonderful snow (I skied there on 30th May last year).

Crazy golf mentioned above is good for kids and adults can enjoy a good beer.

On the mountain the Bergrast (spelling) is fine for kids. Up on the outside balcony best.

Swimming pool in town or down the valley at Fugen are worth trying if kids need a break.

Re Snowbombing. We noticed lots of extra drunks on the first day, after that I think they only got out of bed in the afternoon so slopes were actually very quiet Smile except Roy d the Penkenpark.

We will be back at end of March....cannot wait!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@james75, Kids and apri don't usually mix, but at the bottom of the Penken, there is a butcher/cafe/outdoor bar, which is great when you come off the hill, the cafe food is very good and very cheap.

There is also a small indoor/outdoor bar at the bottom of the Ahorn home run which is great for families and has a small play park.

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@james75,
Worth getting a locker for boots at Penken station if you have kids unless your hotel is very close.
Kostner bakery has large patio for ice creams/pastries and beer and letting the kids run around.
Good value ice cream cones from the ies salon opposite the grillkuchl .
Seem to remember I had a surprisingly good steak once in bistro attached to the swimming pool but that was a number of years ago.
Perauer has great food but not sure that its cheap (was half board).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The locker is a great tip. The Intersport at the Penken base has lockers in the basement and a lift up to the gondola. Also lockers up on the mountain.

Up on the mountain the whole family likes this place for lunch. It has a little treehouse and play area for kids. Sun trap too Smile

https://www.gschoesswandhaus.at
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All this talk of the Hof got me itching, booked up for a week from 24th March.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
me too, I'm sorted for the week after.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still, all that talk about corn and slush has me hesitating.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It’s spring skiing, you can get any conditions 😀. Hopefully sun!

A few years ago we skied white strips through grass in Champoluc, several times we have skied rocks and brown patches all over La Plagne, we had heavy snow in La Plagne another year, slush in St Anton, amazing pistes in Ischgl. I think is luck if the draw. All these places are “high”. All this was end of March, beginning of April.
ski holidays
@Bennyboy1, true, but altitude is a way of mitigating some spring conditions.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 2-02-18 11:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Perhaps Tignes or ValT makes sense then. Otherwise I think that late it is what it is.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy