Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learning to ski with hip replacement

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My question is.. would you learn to ski (almost an absolute beginner) with a hip replacement?

I had my hip replaced 5 years ago aged 40. the rest of my family love to ski and we are going soon. Last time I went I took a two hour private lesson and enjoyed it though I was nervous. As a youngster I snowboarded for a weeks holiday, though that seems a long time ago! My doctor said he advises people who can already ski about going back but has never been asked the question from someone who wants to learn. I am unlikely to ever go fast, I'd just like to be able to do some blue runs and participate more with my kids! I am just wondering if it's worth the risk. thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As someone who has no medical training in this area I'd say yes, go for it. But as I said, I've got no idea what the risks are.

As its been 5 years since the replacement I assume that you know whether the replacement has been a full success? If it has and it doesn't stop you walking, running, cycling, etc, then it shouldn't stop you skiing.

But please see my caveat at the beginning, I have no medical training so haven't got a clue if skiing affects new hip joints,
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Soozm, It is a tricky one. The only real danger is falling, and you are far more likely to do that when learning. Being hit by another skier is another risk, but that is the same for any level of skier. the hip itself should be fine for skiing, but a fall onto the hip on a hard surface could be bad news.

I had a replacement last March and am going again in March. I have now worries about the skiing....falling is another matter. Although I will have had 6 yrs off, I am sure i will probably manage not to fall.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go for it. I had my left one done at the end of Oct 2016, went skiing the middle of March 2017. I asked my surgeon would it be alright and he said you're probably more likely to fall and break an arm or whatever than damage the new hip. Incidentally, I'm getting the right one done in April sometime. I'll still be going although, will probs have to give it a miss this year due to unforeseen circumstances. Realistically, the worst thing to possibly happen is dislocation, but 5 years post op, you shouldn't have any problems with this. You'll know when you've over cooked it too. Just don't ski above your ability level.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It will be six years this March since I had my right one replaced at 54. I have skied every year, for at least one week, since I have had no problems. Incidentally my surgeon told me that any non/low impact activity was fine to do. So walking, skiing and cycling are fine but running was an absolute no no Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CP wrote:
It will be six years this March since I had my right one replaced at 54. I have skied every year, for at least one week, since I have had no problems. Incidentally my surgeon told me that any non/low impact activity was fine to do. So walking, skiing and cycling are fine but running was an absolute no no Shocked Shocked
/

I am 6 years on from a right hip resurfacing.

I am a keen sportsman, so spoke extensively to my surgeon pre and post op.

His advice was broadly similar to yours, except he said that it would be advisable to do no more than one/two weeks skiing a year, and no off piste or moguls (both for risk of dislocation).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had my left hip resurfaced 3 years ago (clearly not as serious) and was skiing again in 3 months. I ski up to 8 weeks a year. I also went back to snowboarding a year later, which due to lack of competence, in my case, and the inherent nature of the activity has a much greater risk of falling. In both cases I found that a pair of impact shorts had both a psychological and physical benefit in the event of a fall and would certainly recommend them. Whilst I no longer wear them skiing I still do when I board. They do mean a slight reduction in flexibility, but the benefits, including greater insulation, if you end us sitting in the snow, far outweighed any downside.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone, apart from @Ski lots, wear impact shorts? Looking for advice. My worry, in my head, is fracturing the top of the femur, rather than dislocation.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Frosty the Snowman, A different situation to you but perhaps useful in some way... A regular student of mine has had an above knee amputation. He wears impact shorts. He has less muscle on the amputated side so falling on that side was painful without padding. With the shorts he's irritated when he falls because it is difficult for him to stand up, but it's not painful. I think he has shorts that were designed for ice hockey.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone for all the replies.. I am keen to give it a go so leaning that way at the moment. All the advice I can find online is for accomplished skiers returning to skiing, not for beginners like me but it seems as though the issues are falling/ disclocation and given mine is 5 years old and withstands yoga, swimming, exercise classes, cycling without feelings of instability I'm hopeful. Definitely going to look at impact shorts too!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Frosty the Snowman, haven't had a hip op, but I have worn crash pants, when I was doing the vasaloppet a few years ago. We knew we were going to fall (and I did about half a dozen times on the downhills) as we hadn't done cross country skiing before (other than an hour with friends a few months before) so I put some crash pants on under my trousers. I also lost 10kg before the race whilst getting fit and also to reduce the impact when I fell.

They were MTB crash pants, very lightweight material with hard padding, worked a treat. If you can its best to try them on to make sure they are comfy, breathable, and they fit you correctly so not too baggy or too tight).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy