Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next season's Kit.

Poster: A snowHead
Who's seen what skis and boards are coming out next year?

Is it all the same old stuff in a new more fashionable colour scheme or are there any real developments?

Go on, someone please tell me Burton and Nokia have teamed up to knock out a board that takes pictures of your snow covered butt as u wipe out big-time Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
u brain, I've posted pics of my skis enough times already!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spoke to the salomon rep - they've one new range of skis (geneic on-piste fun carvers), but most of the screams, 1080, pocket rockets etc just have a facelift
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OOOH, i have the new Atomic SX-10's (as prevoiulsly talked about) and i love them. Better than the 9's and, for me, more user frienldy thatn the 11's. yippee. Roll on next season. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Came accross the atomic web site and I see that they have a new range of skis called Metron.

http://www.atomicsnow.com/english/home2.php

Part of the description for the m:ex pils-ti says "letting you power high-octane turns through anything from wind-buff to death cookies." Exclamation
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sadly, I only caught the final day of the Fall-Line Skiing ski test, but of the five-odd 04/05 skis I tried the K2 Recon stood out. Super edge hold and carve, and made in China.

I was also impressed with a pair of next year's Nordica skis, which are apparently now made in the Elan factory (which has turned out excellent carving skis for years). I filled out the report card, but I've forgotten the name of the skis!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AB Ski wrote:
Part of the description for the m:ex pils-ti says "letting you power high-octane turns through anything from wind-buff to death cookies." Exclamation

Que? Puzzled
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just thought - I tried the a ski from the new Rossigniol "Zenith" range. I was very pleased with it, on-pisted it did seem to be better at holding an edge than the 1080s and even the scream hots.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've got a pair of next seasons B2's and they are the same thing exactly. Just a very slightly different design pattern, which is hardly noticeable.

Quote:

OOOH, i have the new Atomic SX-10's (as prevoiulsly talked about) and i love them. Better than the 9's and, for me, more user frienldy thatn the 11's. yippee. Roll on next season.

The last 2 seasons SX11 were great, do they still have the same bite to them???
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skanky,

Yeh, I'm a bit puzzled as well. What on earth are you supposed to inhale to make your turns high-octane Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
high-oc·tane adj.
1. Having a high octane number and thus reducing knock and increasing efficiency in high-performance engines: high-octane gas.
2. Slang. High-powered; dynamic: a high-octane sales manager; a high-octane marketing plan.
(Source: The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Ed.)

high-octane adj
1: used of gasoline; having a high octane number
2: vigorously energetic or forceful; "a high-octane sales manager"; "a high-octane marketing plan"; "high-powered executives"; "a high-voltage theatrical entrepreneur" [syn: high-powered, high-power, high-voltage]
(Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University)

I want to know what is wind-buff and death cookies?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim, "death cookies" are lumps of ice or extremely hard snow which your ski hits, and won't go through.

I'm not sure about "wind-buff", but it may have something to do with the after effects of having a curry for a naturist.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Foxy, and if I had looked on the internet I would have learnt all about death cookies straightaway, but wind-buff is more elusive. It appears in 73 sites, but neither dictionaries or wikepedia have discovered the word yet. I am not sure if is is wind-sculptured snow or wind-puffed-up snow. Here is a site full of lovely pictures.
(I know you just love boarders Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Death cookies.

aka "murder muffins"
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wind-buff = A smooth, moderately-hard (but not quite ice), thin top layer on top of some other form of snow caused by the wind driving one crystal into another at high speed and causing them to adhere strongly to each other in a layer.

The "buff" part isn't the real problem. If the underlying snow is soft and the surface layer is fragile, you wind up with wind-buff's close relative, breakable crust. Sometimes you break through, sometimes you don't, but you never know when. Even worse, once your feet and skis are trapped below the surface, you can't get them back up, you feel like you can't turn, and your knees are doing a superb imitation of an Arctic icebreaker cutting through the pack ice at 20 knots.

Fun, eh?

Tom / PM
latest report
Thanks Physicsman: as usual, an excellent clear explanation. Glad to have you around.
ski holidays
Glad to be here, and thanks for the hospitality to a Yank, especially after the news of the past week from Iraq. You've got a great group of people - cordial, knowledgable, fun-loving. I've been to GB and Europe many times, but almost always for business, and have never skied there. I really enjoy the perspective from your side of the pond (especially the non-skiing topics).

Tom / PM

PS - Stuart - Your "curry for a naturist" remark just clicked. Sometimes I'm a bit slow on the uptake. Good one!
snow conditions
Physicsman, sorry, it was a bit cryptic.
Aren't you glad we've somewhere to go when Epic is down?
ski holidays
So as not to derail this thread, Fox, take a look at What happened over on Epic?

Tom / PM
ski holidays
Physicsman, who dis Stuart guy.?.....Ah: I found previous mention of curry: in a WTFH post. Shocked WTFH is a Stuart? Nah! Stuarts come in skirts . Fox-hat is definitely not a girlie.
snow report
Jonpim, he's a yank, so I've come to expect spelling errors, and forgive him for them without corecting them.
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:
Physicsman, who dis Stuart guy.?.....Ah: I found previous mention of curry: in a WTFH post. Shocked WTFH is a Stuart? Nah! Stuarts come in skirts . Fox-hat is definitely not a girlie.

Eh? So, next, I guess you are going to try to tell me that he doesn't have an older sister named Mary that used to live up north.

Oh, well, since I obviously can't spell, and you say he's definitely not a girlie, I guess I'll just default to Americanisms and call him
............ a boy named...............................STU

Razz

Tom / PM
latest report
My daddy left home when I was three,
And he didn't leave much to Ma and me...
Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze.
Now, I don't blame him cause he run and hid,
But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left, he went and named me 'Stu'.

Well, he must o' thought that is was quite a joke,
And it got a lot of laughs from a' lots of folk.
It seems I had to fight my whole life through.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red,
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head.
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named 'Stu'.

Well, I grew up quick and I grew up mean,
My fist got hard and my wits got keen.
I'd roam from town to town to hide my shame.
But I made me a vow to the moon and stars
That I'd search the honky-tonks and bars,
And kill that man that give me that awful name.

Well, it was Gatlinburg in mid-July
And I just hit town, and my throat was dry.
I thought I'd stop and have myself a brew.
At an old saloon on a street of mud,
There at a table, dealing stud,
Sat the dirty, mangy dog that named me 'Stu'.

Well, I knew that snake was my own sweet dad
From a worn-out picture that my mother'd had,
And I knew that scar on his cheek and his evil eye.
He was big and bent and gray and old,
And I looked at him and my blood ran cold,
And I said: "My name is 'Stu!' How do you do! Now you gonna die!"

Well, I hit him hard right between the eyes,
And he went down, but, to my surprise,
He come up with a knife and cut off a piece of my ear.
But I busted a chair right across his teeth
And we crashed through the wall and into the street
Kicking and a' gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer.

I tell ya, I've fought tougher men,
But I really can't remember when,
He kicked like a mule and he bit like a crocodile.
I heard him laugh and then I heard him cuss,
He went for his gun and I pulled mine first,
He stood there lookin' at me and I saw him smile.

And he said: "Son, this world is rough,
And if a man's gonna make it, he's gotta be tough,
And I know I wouldn't be there to help ya along.
So I give ya that name and I said good-bye.
I knew you'd have to get tough or die,
And it's that name that helped to make you strong."

He said: "Now you just fought one hell of a fight,
And I know you hate me, and you got the right
To kill me now, and I wouldn't blame you if you do.
But ya ought to thank me, before I die,
For the gravel in ya guts and the spit in ya eye
Cause I'm the son-of-a-bitch that named you 'Stu'."

I got all choked up and I threw down my gun
And I called him my pa, and he called me his son,
And I come away with a different point of view.
And I think about him, now and then,
Every time I try and every time I win,
And if I ever have a son, I think I'm gonna name him
Bill or George! Anything but sue! I still hate that name!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 12-05-04 20:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Plagiarists are always caught - You missed replacing two instances of "Sue". Johnny Cash wouldn't take kindly to that, pardner.

Razz

Tom / PM
snow report
Physicsman, you mean someone else wrote a song a bit like this one?
ski holidays
There is a site headed A Boy Named Stu . Shocked
The web never ceases to amaze me.
ski holidays
Hey Wear The Fox Hat, I just seen we are neck-and-neck on posts.
So exciting.... rolling eyes
snow report
Jonpim, that's not MY website, cause mine has a more obvious name. (OK, it's still under development, but eventually it will be up and running)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonpim, are we?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy