Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Down SD 115M. How bonkers are they?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just spotted a pair for sale on a fb site for €150 and wondered if they are just for straightlining everything or can they be tamed slightly??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used to have the regular 115, and currently use the 114M (different ski) as my every day ski.

I've never been on the 115M, but the regular version was plenty stiff enough. I'm not sure the M was actually that much (if any stiffer), it just had two sheets of metal for dampening which also made it a lot heavier. I really love my 114Ms and find them pretty easy to ski everywhere - they're powerful but definitely not monsters.

I really like the 115 in good conditions. It's a lot like the 4FRNT EHP in that in fresh or consistent snow it has a really special frictionless feel, and with the long low rocker it's stable arcing big GS but also very easy to quickly pivot and shut down speed.

They're a lot more work in chopped up or tracked out snow though, and needs a fair bit of speed and power to work for you rather than against you, at least at my size and weight. Not mental and definitely not just for straightlining, but for most people definitely a quiver ski (bigger/stronger/better skiers may disagree).

I had my pair (the carbon version) mounted with Kingpins and they worked really well as a powder touring ski, but I ended up swapping them for a set of CD107s ahead a big touring trip.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was hoping the resident Down expert would be around!!! Thanks a lot for that. Pleased to hear that they are controllable, they would definitely just be brought out when conditions were right, i.e. Not for teaching the kids in ski club!
Just taken the Down plunge with a pair of Throwdown 89's. Have to say that the whole buying process was a pleasure and loving the skis!!! Plan is to replace my existing wider skis with the Down range over the next couple of years but wouldn't have chosen the Showdown but at this price mounted with fks they are possibly too good to pass up.
Im only 5'7" and 70kg so was worried they might be too much, but if taken out only when conditions are perfect then they could be quite lovely!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy