Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packing skis in a snowboard bag - how to stop them moving around

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've a feeling I may be either missing something here or worrying about something I don't need to worry about, so I'm looking to the collective wisdom here to put me straight.

Up to now I've traveled with my holdall with clothes etc and my skis separately, as there was either no extra charge or it was cheap to do this. My skis have traveled back to back held together by their brakes (and some ties) in a padded fabric bag. I'm now looking at traveling with BA, and don't want to pay extra for my skis.

I've got access to a padded Burton board bag, which my skis will fit into, along with everything I'll need for a long weekend (or even a week). From looking at advice here, I assume that the best way is to tie the brakes back, then lay the skis flat on their bases in the bottom of the bag. How do I stop them sliding around and bashing into each other? (Or am I worrying about something I don't need to?) Unlike some ski bags, the board bag doesn't have straps to hold the skis in place.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I click my skis together normally - as I would to carry them - then wrap bubble wrap around them, put them in the board bag first, with poles, and tuck the rest of my luggage around them to make a cosy, immovable bundle. Obviously the bag has to be fairly full to avoid movement.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hurtle wrote:
I click my skis together normally - as I would to carry them - then wrap bubble wrap around them, put them in the board bag first, with poles, and tuck the rest of my luggage around them to make a cosy, immovable bundle. Obviously the bag has to be fairly full to avoid movement.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was wondering if that was a sensible option. So you click your skis together with their brakes, wrap them up (which I do as an extra precaution anyway in the tube bag) then just stuff the other stuff around them? I'm thinking it probably doesn't matter quite so much if they're held together rather than knocking into each other.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sugarmoma666,
Quote:

So you click your skis together with their brakes, wrap them up (which I do as an extra precaution anyway in the tube bag) then just stuff the other stuff around them?

Exactly. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle wrote:
@sugarmoma666,
Quote:

So you click your skis together with their brakes, wrap them up (which I do as an extra precaution anyway in the tube bag) then just stuff the other stuff around them?

Exactly. Very Happy

Just given it a go, using my old trusty foam sleeping mat wrapped around them. Seems to work better than I expected. Cheers. snowHead

As a matter of interest, I think I noticed in another thread that you said you carry your boots and helmet on board in a wheeled bag. How do you manage to fit the helmet in with the boots? It feels like some sort of crazy 3D jigsaw Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@sugarmoma666, the wheeled bag is a square shopping trolley, which folds down completely flat when not in use, so there is not a millimetre of wasted space. I am small of stature, so my boots aren't huge; they go in feet down with my helmet resting on top of them, in fact the boot cuffs are tucked into the helmet a bit. Again, everything else then gets stuffed into gaps.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
@sugarmoma666, the wheeled bag is a square shopping trolley, which folds down completely flat when not in use, so there is not a millimetre of wasted space. I am small of stature, so my boots aren't huge; they go in feet down with my helmet resting on top of them, in fact the boot cuffs are tucked into the helmet a bit. Again, everything else then gets stuffed into gaps.

Likewise I have fairly dinky feet. My boots are a bit wide if I put them side by side, but with a bit of clever tessellation I think I can arrange the helmet in the middle so the cuff of one is tucked in a bit. (It's much easier flying Swiss or Lufthansa where I can just put everything in my holdall, including my boots, and then have the skis in a separate bag. There's not much wasted space in my carry-on wheely case, but it'll be a bit more than a shopping trolley.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I take my boots in my carry on bag and just carry my helmet - when wheeling my bag through the airport the helmet clips onto the handle of my bag, but in the plane I unclip it and place it between my feet.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Length of cheap foam kip mat with a couple of straps round it, then wrap some clothes around it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle wrote:
I click my skis together normally - as I would to carry them - then wrap bubble wrap around them, put them in the board bag first, with poles, and tuck the rest of my luggage around them

This.
My skis are quite often in with another set or a board, but also when carried solo. Helmet goes in with skis, boots in hold luggage but would fit in bag if wanted.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I carry two sets in my Snow and Rock Snowboard bag (mine and my Wife's) two sets of poles and all our Ski clothing and helmets. my skis are separate and laid flat in the bag (admittedly I haven't thought about tying back the brakes - hence why there are a few tears in the inner lining!) My wife's skis then sit between mine, held together in the 'normal manner' on their edges, this leaves loads of room for our gear to be packed around them and then the poles go in on top. We pack our 'normal' clothes together in a suitcase and boots are carried as hand luggage.

Even when travelling in the car I pack in exactly the same manner and the S&R bag then goes in the top box with the boots placed either side.

The bag is currently sat behind one of the sofa's ready for the top box being fitted tomorrow in preparation for our 12 hour drive on Friday night!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pipe lagging and cable ties is what i use to protect edges with 2 pairs in one case. Its light and dirt cheap and so long as you take some spare cable ties, can be reused over and over again
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chicks dig scars
Tools not jewels etc etc

I usually wedge some flip flops between mine. Plus I keep my edges pretty blunt and just eat pies for traction.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mine are wrapped in clothes , no bother with the edges, I do retract the brake so they can lie flattish.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy