Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gliss shop experience

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone tell me when they have received skis from Gliss in the past if they are edged and waxed ready for use?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nope; received mine vacuum - packed in nylon, as they come from the factory.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes (so my experience different to @snowglider). 3 pairs (at different times), all ready to go.
Whether you choose to wax (again) before using them is a different question, the search function should help you with the controversy on that one Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are Gliss shop reliable? Any delay on delivery, ect?

I'm think of buying some goggles from them but they are charging £8+ for delivery, which seems expensive in this day and age.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
they are based in France, which probably explains the delivery charge
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They are very reliable, i've only bought skis from them but fast delivery and well prepared.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah I see. I'm off to France in a week or so, do they have actual stores? Assume trying to buy a new pair in resort will be paying over the odds?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was in Val D'Isere last March, tried a Diezz helmet on, and it fiited my head shape (which is a miracle in itself), but it was the end of season and the helmets were full price, so I though I'd wait and see if they were reduced online. Turns out only glisshop sell them on line, and they were reduced by quite a bit, but they don't deliver to the Isle of Man. So as I was in Lyon for my god daughters christening I decided to order one and have them deliver it to the hotel I was staying in. They are based in Aubière, and it arrived exactly when they said it would.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I ordered skis from them last year, 30% off RRP, good presales advise, they came mounted perfectly and ready to rip. I just had to check and fine tune the binding forward pressure.

I then had a 5% of my ski purchase applied as a credit on my account, which I used as cash against a pair of poles in the sale this year, so they were under half price after using my voucher, including postage, so the £8 was 'lost'. Arrived tracked with DPD in 3 days.

So 2 very good transactions at good prices despite the postage charge. For lower cost purchases the postage charge might not make them cost competetive.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking at the Scott Faze II goggle with light sensitive lens. They have them at 10% off which covers the postage really. Looks like I'll order them today then!

Thanks for the advice!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bought skis from them, arrived waxed sharp and set up to my specs, ready to go, arrived earlier than scheduled too which was nice, also bought a helmet which arrived promptly, all in all, would definitely recommend
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Prices look competitive from what I've seen. I would prefer them in the factory wrap and edge/wax myself and get bindings mounted in resort with my own boots. I presume you can specify all that when ordering?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mgrolf wrote:
Yes (so my experience different to @snowglider). 3 pairs (at different times), all ready to go.
Whether you choose to wax (again) before using them is a different question, the search function should help you with the controversy on that one Twisted Evil

I'm wondering if we are actually saying the same thing here, but in a different way.
Of course they came waxed; but just by the manufacturer, not by the seller (in tis case Glisshop). It was just a basic waxing jobbie that all manufacturers use, intended to prevent the skis from drying out during storage, before they are sold.

Since the OP speciffically asked if Glisshop had waxed them (and sharpened/tuned the edges), I felt I had to answer "no".
The same goes for edge sharpening.

Did you mean that Glisshop aditionally waxed yours - on top of factory waxing?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone. I’m off next Friday so I’ll run them in the shop for a second opinion.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On the whole, the vast majority of ski manufacturers put a good edge on skis when they leave the shop. Whether the factory edge angle is to your liking is a different issue (always found it a bit bizarre that Head send out even their faster piste skis at 1,1) but generally it's well done and sharp.

Factory wax on the other hand will be a quick machine job to stop the base drying out whilst it's in storage. Basically no use as a day-to-day wax. But I think a machine wax is not as much good for new skis, the better base preps are done by hand, ironing in several treatments of wax before first use. The majority of resort shops will use a machine.
snow report
So I should buy a waxed myself then?
snow conditions
dp wrote:
always found it a bit bizarre that Head send out even their faster piste skis at 1,1) but generally it's well done and sharp.

Gives you more scope to tune them to your personal preference without taking any more metal off than required. Actually my last pair of Head skis (Monster 82s back in 2007 ish) came from the factory at 0.5,1 which is even better as you can't decrease base angle without base grinding. I actually left them at 0.5 for a while, but they were a bit grabby, so increased base to 1 and edge to 2 for a little more bite.
ski holidays
DanFuller wrote:
So I should buy a waxed myself then?

If you can, yes. But only worth it if you can hot wax, which is not that hard.
latest report
@snowglider, same meaning as you then. Skis arrived sharp (presumably as done when manufactured) and waxed (with all the caveats about factory wax). Glisshop most likely did not contribute to this

Personally, I would always do several wax/scrape cycles on new skis, but that might have as much to do with time spent in the man cave (with beer rewards) as with any real need Laughing
latest report
mgrolf wrote:

Personally, I would always do several wax/scrape cycles on new skis, but that might have as much to do with time spent in the man cave (with beer rewards) as with any real need Laughing

I used to do that, but now have about 8 pairs to look after for all the family. So more often than not it ends up being a wipe of Zardos and go! I do try to hot wax for every week of skiing, but I skimp massively on scraping cycles i.e. usually just get one hit with the iron and one scrape!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy