Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Esprit vs Clubmed vs Crystal for family all in ski holiday?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello wise snowHeads - we are considering options for next season. We are a group of families with kids and we always go to ski at Christmas time. I have a few lazier friends who want an easy trip with all included - accommodation, food , childcare, ski school etc and not prepared to make compromises to get more flexibility or reduce costs. If it was just me and my family, would probably consider DIY but my kids are used to going with their friends so we will go together. We prefer hotels or chalet hotels rather than a chalet just for our group - as while we like each other, we want to have an option for some privacy ( we did book a chalet once with 5 families but felt that everyone was a bit on top of each other) . Current options are Clubmed , Esprit and Crystal - the costs are similar, the group is heavily weighted towards Clubmed as we have done last year with them ( all great, kids loved the mini club but there was a problem with ski school for my eldest) ... so opinions are welcome on how the three operators compare on quality of childcare, accommodation, food and general..in terms of ski school, I think they all use ESF so I guess not a differentiating factor.. ( I just need to assume that I may need to spend extra for some private lessons)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have done Club Med so can’t compare, however have done Esprit 5 times and Mark Warner (not on your list) when we did Crystal it was before children and only the once (quite deliberately!)

The Esprit we found the Esprit setup much better, with beginners skiing lessons they have snow rangers (member of childcare) with the lessons helping the children (which MW don’t), the staff help you with bags getting them to the bus from the airport and to your room from the bus. The staff always are cheerful and helpful having a joke with the kids when they see them even outside of them being in their care. You can pick the coverage which suits you, from all day skiing (in some resorts) with supervised lunch, to half day skiing with a supervised lunch and pickup at 2pm and return them for afternoon tea (their dinner), to booked into afternoon kids club as well. They also have evening cocoa club (and cocoa club plus for eldest in SOME resorts) and baby listening service which means you can put your child to bed at normal time sign them in, then go down for the evening meal. They also have their own play room at Chambéry when you fly back if you are using that airport. Both my children have thoroughly enjoyed the kids clubs with them and the staff and after the Mark Warner experience were really pleased to go back to Esprit again.

The lessons themselves are strictly limited on group numbers so you never have more than 8, one year Ellie was on of 3 in her lesson! However that was week before Christmas.

The thing that made a big difference to us was due to the accommodation being only families you can sit in the lounge / bar areas and let the kids play with their friends and feel more relaxed that they aren’t disturbing others, with Mark Warner (Crystal will be the same) there are couples there who were moaning about the kids playing.

Happy to answer any particular questions.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NickyJ, thanks.. I heard esprit childcare is quite good. Having smaller ski classes is also important difference. CM GOs were also brilliant with kids but the ski classes were huge ( 12 I think)..
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just noticed you asked about quality of accommodation. The hotels are on whole a little worn, but they have a relatively high number of two room suites and interconnecting rooms which we much prefer as when we have had to share a family room the girls disturb hubby, which makes him grumpy.

There flagship property in Belle Plagne is their most plush in terms of accommodation but actually I personally found the rougher edges of the others as being more relaxing.

The Pepi Gabl in St Anton has been relatively recently refurbished (we were there the first time after the refurb) and is nicely done.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ, thanks .. Our Esprit option is for Val D at the moment but will look into the ones you mentioned. thank you
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We stayed there in April. We had suite 108. This has an entrance way with two doors coming off that one into a hall way with a wardrobe and doors into toilet (seperate), door into bathroom and door (iirc but could have been open) into bedroom with a double bed. The other room was a mirror of this but had a high bed over the wardrobe and twin beds in the room.

The suites / rooms which are just two digits rather than 3 digits are the new rooms they built in the extension, I tried to sneak a look at these but didn’t get too good a look. By all accounts they were smarter / plusher.

Location wise it isn’t too long a walk to the main lifts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bella2015, Club med Cervinia is a great place and no E.S.F 👍
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meandrew wrote:
@Bella2015, Club med Cervinia is a great place and no E.S.F 👍

Club med pragelato is pretty amazing - also no esf. We're here now if you'd like me to find anything out for you?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@meandrew, @kittya, thank you. Those CMs are not ski in/ ski out , right?
What ski school is like? How big are the classes? Have you stayed in other CMs - how does it compare (we stayed in Tignes last year)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bella2015, Depending on conditions you can ski back to Cervinia and as in most Clubmeds there is always a van to get you up the hill back to the hotel, my fave CM.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bella2015, Esprit don’t use ESF in Val d’Isère.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kittya[/b], how accessible is the skiing at pragelato - e.g. is there only 1 gondola/lift up to slopes (which i'd imagine gets busy?) and how far away from Milky Way in general/is the area well linked and easy to get over to (e.g.) Sestriere/Sauze? Have thought about it before and just wondered. Also hows the feeling in the accommodation/village - is it a bit butlins (e.g. entertainment etc) with snow or a bit more upmarket etc - the idea of a "holiday village" sends a few shivers up my spine!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@meandrew, @kittya, thank you. Those CMs are not ski in/ ski out , right?
What ski school is like? How big are the classes? Have you stayed in other CMs - how does it compare (we stayed in Tignes last year)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bella2015,

Not stayed in CM Pregalato but have at the one in Cervinia (albeit a few years ago)

It's a mini-bus to the main lift area - very well organised often with the Chef Du Village there to make sure everything goes smoothly. You can ski back (I think it's a red?) But otherwise the mini-buses go about every 10 mins from the centre back to the CM. Quite convenient.

Rooms OK (we did go for an upgrade Very Happy ) - better than Tignes, Food excelent as normal, swimming pool etc

PS All ESFs are not equal - The worst instructor I've had with ESF at CM was at Tignes (as I said in your other post), followed by Val Thorens. On the other hand, I've had wonderful instructors at CM Peissey-Vallandry (got me going off-piste happily. I don't do off-piste) and last year in La Plagne
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@riman8, @Bella2015, you can't ski to the door of the accommodation but there is a run to the bridge a few steps from the gondola. Ski lockers are just down a ramp by the gondola. No queues at all up to now. Definitely not butlins like at all - i had the same kind of fears. The layout is straightforward & I've found it really pleasant & tranquil staying away from noise & hustle & toddling up for meals, drinks etc. We're down near the pool - very handy and amazing view from the balcony.
Not got any kids in ski school, i shall ask someone later, but we've crossed paths with a few groups over in sestriere & i was pretty impressed with how the staff genuinely seem to care about the kids they're looking out for. It's not the busiest time of year though so may not be totally representive.
There are a couple of buses to sestriere from the village - again by the gondola - free ones (am sat on one now )
More later
snow report
Bella2015 wrote:
@NickyJ, thanks .. Our Esprit option is for Val D at the moment but will look into the ones you mentioned. thank you

We stayed at the Le Savoie in ValD (with Ski Total) but were able to put our daughter in the esprit lessons (run by Evo2) with other kids at the Ducs de Savoie next door.

Esprit do have some rooms available at the Le Savoie in school hols I believe. We went with Ski Total as they had bigger rooms available higher up in the hotel.

The Le Savoie is really lovely - big luxurious rooms (it was a proper 5 star before Ski total/Inghams took it over).

The food was really , really good. Restaurant quality - not chalet quality.
The chef came out every night to check all was OK.

The ducs next door is horrid IMO. Our daughter went once for high tea - food was literally being thrown - kids totally out of control while parents were boozing in (cramped) bar.
And there were lots of vomiting bugs going around.
She only went the once. Ate with us after this in the Le Savoie.

Top Tip - join the GB Ski Club (about £ 50) and get 5 % off Esprit hols...
snow report
sheffskibod wrote:
Bella2015 wrote:

The ducs next door is horrid IMO. Our daughter went once for high tea - food was literally being thrown - kids totally out of control while parents were boozing in (cramped) bar.

That certainly wasn’t our experience in April. The staff were spread out through all the tables helping the children. The kids were having fun, laughing and joking etc but never any food throwing, my girls would very much have told on that and we popped in to them quite a few times while eating each day. Most parents were having the free coffee / tea / hot chocolate with afternoon tea (certainly we were Happy). Yes a few had the odd beer etc but really wouldn’t call the level boozing, but I guess you get different customers from one week to the next.
snow conditions
Thanks all -anyone been in Clubmed Aime la Plagne? This seems to be working out better price wise.. it’s only 3 tridents though so not sure if makes a difference
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:

So do they use Evo2?
ski holidays
@Bella2015, CM Aime la Plagne is a good location food so so always cheapest.
snow conditions
Bella2015 wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

So do they use Evo2?
. I THINK it was, struggling to remember that detail (all we were concerned with was that it wasn’t ESF at the time Embarassed )
snow conditions
@Bella2015, they are very responsive to posts on their Facebook page which is where I asked them ahead of us going. It is probably worth asking them as it could change from season to season.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
Bella2015 wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

So do they use Evo2?
. I THINK it was, struggling to remember that detail (all we were concerned with was that it wasn’t ESF at the time Embarassed )

Yes, its Evo2 or at least it was last year.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
sheffskibod wrote:
Bella2015 wrote:

That certainly wasn’t our experience in April. The staff were spread out through all the tables helping the children. The kids were having fun, laughing and joking etc but never any food throwing, my girls would very much have told on that and we popped in to them quite a few times while eating each day. Most parents were having the free coffee / tea / hot chocolate with afternoon tea (certainly we were Happy). Yes a few had the odd beer etc but really wouldn’t call the level boozing, but I guess you get different customers from one week to the next.

That reflects my experience too - in fact, we're going back this Easter also. I agree that Ducs isn't a 5* by any stretch of the imagination, I'd desribe it as a good 3*, but importantly, the staff were lovely and the kids loved it. Happy Children = Happy Parents.
latest report
Bella2015 wrote:
it’s only 3 tridents though so not sure if makes a difference

Club Med have been going through a process of moving upmarket over the last decade (at least?), ditching their old, poky hotels and replacing them with new, shiny spacious top-notch places. This has meant that the old hotels have often become quite shabby owing to a reluctance to spend money on them.

Never stayed in one, BTW.
ski holidays
Have stayed in two Club Meds in last year - Punta Cana (Dominican Republic) very nice but a long way from nearest ski lift! Evil or Very Mad and Cervinia.

The Cervinia club Med is pretty good. As someone said above, there are constant flow of mini buses going up and down to the lifts so access is not an issue, and if confident you can ski back to it although working out the route the first time is a bit of a challenge. I did not think the room was particularly great, but you do not spend much time in the rooms anyway with free booze in the bars and good choice of food in the restaurant breakfast, lunch and dinner. We did not have kids with us, but Club Med do seem to provide plenty of activities for kids and people to look after them. They use the Italian Ski School - I made no use of the free lessons, though they did have them for all grades of skier. Mrs Trenmold who is returning to skiing after many years break went for one day with the ski school but was not impressed with the instructor so I would not set too much store in the "free" ski lessons. Overall I would recommend Club Med for skiing, especially if the all inclusive price compares favourably with other deals (as it did last minute in March last year).
ski holidays
CM 3 Tridents - slightly smaller rooms, maybe not so convenient for the slopes, food standard good but maybe without those little extra touches

CM 4 Tridents - Slightly better rooms, generally better locations (cf Plagne 2100 and Aime La Plagne), food standard better with little extra touches. More likely to have a pool (except Val Thorens!)
ski holidays
CM Aime l Plagne is 3 trident last time I went.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will be going to CM Serre Chevalier's in March with our Little one, so I can give you feedback after that. Regarding three tridents vs four is that I find the crowd in 3T more relaxed and less "bling" for lacking a better word. Rooms will be better at a 4T club though, for food I'm not so sure. CM Les arcs had some great food and still only 3T
ski holidays
All- thanks on your feedback... interesting that no one recommend Crystal Puzzled ... it’s hotel Diva in Tignes by the way and the price is good, but it Sat to Sat and we need to go Sun to Sun. It seems that the group opinion is going the Clubmed way though ..Slightly worried about kids ski lessons ( but can bite the bullet and budget for a couple of private ones if needed) also La Plagne is less snow sure for Christmas but we have been going to Tignes for the last few seasons, so fancy a change..Decision day today Smile
snow report
This may be a little leftfield - but look at the Chalet Hotel Elisabeth in Kuhtai. Great little ski area (depends how much you want) but another resort 10-15mins bus ride away. Food was really good last year, relaxed set up, various room options, ski school next door - lots going for it. Plus it's 40mins from Innsbruck - really short transfer.
ski holidays
We have done Crystal in the Dolomites (admittedly a few years ago now) and Esprit in Les Arcs/Peisey more recently. Childcare in both was excellent with very friendly and helpful staff. Crystal staff were slightly older and more experienced. In both cases they were well integrated with the ski school at the kids level (not so much at adult) (Scuola Italiana in Dolomites, New Generation in LA) Our sense of the difference though is that with Esprit the child care is plugged into the heart of the operation (and therefore easier to book, manage etc) whereas with Crystal it is more of an add on. The food was fine in each but Crystal was better; at Esprit our experience was that the chalet team are very enthusiastic school leavers who have just been taught to cook. The team service ethic was better at Esprit. Crystal had a rep doing the social ski thing, Esprit didn’t (although they might not have been allowed to in France I suppose).
snow report
@RidgewayRover, Esprit used to do ski guiding until the issue in France we were with them that year and they were apologising to us on the coach about not being able to over it anymore. Think they still do it (or do it again) in some as notice it was listed as being on offer with them in Gressoney for next season.
snow conditions
Horses for courses really.

I agree regards Chalet hotel / hotel vs Chalet if a UK operator as food will be much better (probably). Chalet = unskilled gap year type or similar plus food hygine cert, Chalet Hotel / Hotel = professional kitchen staff.

But UK tour operators usually serve UK orientated food in a UK way. i.e. British style menu plus kids eat separately. French operators different.

Of Esprit, Mark Warner and Crystal we prefer Esprit hands down. Quality of childcare and absence of miserable moaning childless / joyless couples / chinless wonder staff is a big advantage.

ESF we have found to be very good. But: don't hover around the ski garden, get there on time for drop offs / pick ups, don't moan about the level of the group and if your child is not continent put a sneaky nappy on, don't get upset about a wet smelly ski suit or don't turn up. Actually these rules apply just about everywhere.

Never stayed at Club Med- prices seem high, ski school groups seem large- but I'd guess I'd like the more international clientel, French food cooked by French staff etc.

Have you looked at Vacanciel? They have hotels in a number of French ski resorts with half / full board plus kids clubs- although very French and there just might be issues with language in childcare.
Whatever you choose have a great holiday.
snow report
Quite a while since we did TO hols when our kids were young but we used both Crystal and Esprit in our time. Esprit were good for much younger kids (under7 ish) but we thought they were expensive, you pay for the childcare not for the accommodation or food which when we stayed with them in La Rosiere was a bit disappointing. Crystal seem to offer more for a wider range of ages and we found them more accommodating if say the kids wanted to eat with us in the evening rather than have the kids tea. This wasnt an option with Esprit. So maybe think about the ages of the kids in your group and how much you want the kids looked after or whether you want to have the option to be more flexible. Sorry not tried club med. My hubby and son stayed at the Crystal hotel you mention in Tignes and found it good
latest report
Thanks all - booked Clubmed again at the end..Aime La Plagne. While my kids are still young ( will be 8 and 5 when we go) , so kids in the group are 10 so maybe too old for Esprit..and all enjoyed the CM experience last trip. Anyway I am tempted to try Esprit for my family..maybe next time. And might try Crystal if they ever start doing Sun to Sun ( Saturday does not really work for us).
@schnitzel_skier, thank interesting idea. Will keep it on my list.
ski holidays
@Bella2015, my eldest thoroughly enjoyed Esprit last April when she was 10. We originally booked her in for just until 2pm with the supervised lunch but before we went she changed her mind and asked to booked into the snow club even though she was above the advertised age Esprit were quite happy about that (so was she). Some days she wanted us to pick her up earlier and take her skiing with us on the afternoon other days she asked to stay back with the snow club (she would ask them what they had planned before deciding on the morning)

Obviously a bit late for you now Happy
snow report
@NickyJ, thanks.Yes - I do think the 10 yr olds may have enjoyed Esprit, although they seem to be all so grown up and don’t want to mix with younger ones (my 7 yr old son was desperate to hang out with them but they were not too keen, so he had to make do with the group of younger kids:) Anyways I was pushing for Esprit mainly because of the smaller ski groups and childcare, but my friends were more worried about food quality, bar etc ( some are non skiers) so CM won... but there is always a next time ( I hope)..
latest report
@Bella2015, I am lucky in that my eldest happily plays with younger children, long may it last though now she has started secondary I doubt it will... the urge to be “cool”.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy