Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

la rosiere or val disere at xmas

Poster: A snowHead
fellow snowheads,
I'm looking to book up family ski trips 2018/19 season. we need to go on at least one of the school holiday weeks, eldest daughter starts school in september. I'm pretty sure one of the 1st conversations with the head mistress "Aleksandna won't be in school for 4 weeks over the ski season" won't go down too well. I've never skied during school holidays always chose the cheapest weeks to ski. so which will be the better option Xmas week, in terms of crowded lift lines busy pistes etc. we'll be travelling with esprit ski if that makes any difference as we love their set up(not been to la ros before)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My gut instinct says Val D'Isere, it accesses a much bigger area and the skiing goes higher than at La Rosiere. But if snow is poor elsewhere Val D will be busy!

We had a fabulous Xmas at La Ros a few years back but the snow fell that year just as we were arriving! Looking across the valley to La Ros from the Paradise ski area Xmas 2016 it looked bear but we didn`t go up to see so it may have been ok. We drove up to Val D, having skied there years before when conditions in other resorts close to Bourg St Maurice were suffering we expected it to be ok and `though it looked a bit brown at resort level the skiing was still good.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We just did the Christmas week in La Rosiere. Went out 23rd Dec and came back 30th.

Our 4th trip there. We love the place. Stayed in hemera lodge self catering which was great (went with crystal but never again , a long story)

Resort was quiet , no queues for lifts at all. Although weirdly, restaurants were busy at both lunch and dinner.

Plenty of Christmassy things going on for the kids.

We were lucky with the weather , 3 sunny warm days (and a lot of snow had already fallen) then 3 much colder days with fresh snow and a bluebird Friday morning with powder all over the place.

Our friends stayed through new year and said it got a bit busier but not ridiculous.

Link to Italy was open most of the week and very very quiet over there . I was told the Italians only leave their homes to come to the mountains maybe the day after our Boxing Day...but La Thuile has always been quiet in the week when we have been there..

Cannot comment on Val d’Isere in the same week but we have done both resorts at Feb half terms before now and Val d’Isere is definitely busier on the slopes with queues at certain lift points.

I booked early (took a gamble on there being snow) but honestly , there were deals to be had at the last minute so I would risk it next time and wait to be sure on snow coverage.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@CaravanSkier, VDI is a great area with glacier skiing but how busy it will be is what concerns me at xmas would any fresh get tracked out in hours are the lift line long,
south facing slopes in la ros ain't clever in a dry start to the season but the north facing la Thule side I'm guessing will hold some snow
@sheffskibod, I'd love to book last min but I need to know I've got the child care booked with esprit, I'm lead to believe it's not always available if it's left too late, la ros looks a lovely place to go.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Looking across the valley to La Ros from the Paradise ski area Xmas 2016 it looked bear but we didn`t go up to see so it may have been ok.

We spent Christmas 2016 in Les Menuires. Had great fun but mostly artificial. Went to Les Arcs New Years day - conditions a bit better but still not great. Looked across at La Rosiere and thought 'snowline looks lower there so headed there next day. La Rosiere was a bit better than Les Arcs but once you popped over into Italy it was WAY better. It was actually white - not just little ribbons of white.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mother hucker, Longest queues when we were at Val D, were at the bottom gondolas, generally 5 - 10 mins but up the mountain nothing much to speak of. There were areas on the busiest pistes that were not good but it was a bad time for snow throughout that valley and the resort had done a good job on the runs.

I don`t remember any real queues at La Rosiere but we were at the Les Eucherts end rather than La Ros itself. The link to to Italy is, I understand, closed fairly frequently. I didn't venture that far but most of the rest of the party did and moaned about an insanely long exposed drag lift which I think is probably part of the reason the link closes. I think there have been discussions on here about how to do the Italy side and still get back to collect children but I`m guessing Esprit would have that covered.

If snow cover is good I`d prefer La Ros, but if snow cover is poor Val would be a better bet. Most of my family prefer Val D either way because it accesses such a large ski area.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@CaravanSkier, @swiftoid, @sheffskibod, thanks for taking the time out to reply,
if it was up to me I'd be happy to ski VDI forever but the missis wants a bit of different scenery. my understanding is they're having some new lifts in la ros next season as well to open up the mountain more
cheers all
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm always amazed how quiet Val d'Isere is at Christmas. The French arrive for New Year and that is the busy time, but only as busy as a week at half term. Even then, the lifts cope fine and queuing is not a patch on somewhere like La Plagne. If you head over to Fornet, you can go all day without really queuing at all.

The season opens 3rd week of November and snow has been excellent for every Christmas I can remember.

Of all the resorts to ski at Christmas, it is by far my favourite. The High St, the decorations, the ice statues... it is a very special place to be at Christmas.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mother hucker wrote:
@CaravanSkier, @swiftoid, @sheffskibod, thanks for taking the time out to reply,
if it was up to me I'd be happy to ski VDI forever but the missis wants a bit of different scenery. my understanding is they're having some new lifts in la ros next season as well to open up the mountain more
cheers all

Not sure if it is an option because of the childcare needs, but if you want new scenery and best chances of snow, what about Val Thorens?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mother hucker wrote:
cheers all

2 new chairs + 5 new reds for 2018/19 season - above and right from the existing Fort lift so will be a little higher up...

https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27594
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bar shaker, you've just made up my mind, I'm booking VDI for Xmas and La Ros end of Jan. do you have your own place out in VDI?
@Bennisboy, esprit dont travel to Val Thorens, however grandma and granddad with have my young uns whist we have an April trip
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mother hucker wrote:
@bar shaker, you've just made up my mind, I'm booking VDI for Xmas and La Ros end of Jan. do you have your own place out in VDI?
@Bennisboy, esprit dont travel to Val Thorens, however grandma and granddad with have my young uns whist we have an April trip

Have you looked at the Sprint Family Bash? There are a few young uns coming from what I can gather Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NickyJ, no I've not, talk to me about it. mine are young young uns, 2 and 4. we need nursery and snow club plus ski school where ever we go
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Details are here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=134004&highlight=

This will be my first time on a bash. If you have a read through you will see the age of those on it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@NickyJ, they're a bit young yet for that however I can see it being something for the future when they can both ski. It's a good price that
snow report
Does anyone remember snowHeads back in the days when every other thread was about La Rosiere?

La Ros' this, La Ros' that...La Ros' TOO MUCH!

I don't miss that...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy