Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Doing a season - furniture storage / things to consider

Poster: A snowHead
Hey folks!

I’ve got to the point in life (31) where I feel it’s time for me to take a sabbatical from work and take back a few months for myself.

I’ve worked from the day I graduated Uni and finally feel in a place where I have the financial position that if I went away for 3-4 months I wouldn’t come back to being at the breadline. I currently don’t have a mortgage and no kids yet so feel this is the last chance before me and the missus settle down a bit. I’m thinking of planning now for next winter.

We rent currently so would need to store our current furniture etc (about a merc Sprinter and a half’s worth) anyone done this? Ideas of price?

What other general things / advice do I need to know before going ahead with it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
loads of storage companies around, although for 3-4 months i'd probably just leave everything as it is and just move myself for the season, saves a lot of hassle!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A container in my neck of the woods costs about £100/month.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can afford it I'd try and get someone to house/flat sit and leave everything in situ for a small fee or wear the cost. Are you going to work on your sabbatical (no....don't !) If not accept that its an investment in your mental health and enjoy it ! I did a fair number of seasons (while poor) and I'd kill for the opportunity to spend a body of time now I'm older and wiser - and less likely to just go on the lash for months on end....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd consider you guys getting a job or part-time job in resort. It' a sure fire way to make lots of ski friends very quickly.
Weekend or Part-time driver jobs are pretty straightforward,
Chalet host jobs are good for ski time once you get organised at smashing out breakfast, whizzing around the rooms and prepping for dinner.
Chalet companies love more mature applicants (Do you think you guys could work together without killing each other).
Accom and ski pass provided with 99.9% chalet host jobs so it's an easy way to do your first season (They are addictive).
PM me and I can give you more advise about working in resort if you want it.

Your doing the right thing thinking in advance. Best Accom and best jobs go early..... August, Sept, October time.
Go for it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Lost123, Please do not spoil your time in the mountains by working. You've no need to. If anybody suggests it it's time for fingers in ears and la la la.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't work - unless it's something like a part time bar job in the evening for purely social purposes. Make skiing your job - which means you get up and out every day when it is shitty weather or you are hungover or have a sniffle or don't feel like it (otherwise you'll miss too many days and regret it later) - days off when scheduled like 1 in 7 are allowed as otherwise your body will fail at some point. Join the gym/ pool for evening ents, invest time in cooking properly for yourself, read.

Loads of people think it'll just be an extended holiday,. It isn't. You can't drink at the same pace, you won't want to burn cash on permanent eats out.

But do it right and you'll get sublime moments - catching slopes at the tail end of a storm with it all to yourself, churning storm day laps with free refills, the camerarderie of first lift and the feeling of being last man/woman on the mountain. Plus the obvious stuff like improved skills and really knowing the nooks and crannies.

& don't work

Do get accomodation sorted early.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had people move into my place and house sit. They essentially covered all the bills plus a little on top. They got a bargain and in hind should’ve charged more!

I had planned to get work there but met a couple of guys who wanted to achieve the same goals as me, so we skied everyday - I managed to clock about 120 days on the hill. Many half days towards the end of the season as I’m a powder hound and not too into slush. Avoid working if you can - the amount of people I met who missed every storm day made me sad!

Get rid of as much as possible direct debit wise so you have little to no expense for back home, and really simplify your wardrobe. You’ll main live in your ski stuff, so decent base layers & jacket/troos. Try and limit how much you eat out and find the best seasonairre bar rates, but nothing wrong with hang in peoples flats or having them over.

Lots of movies and TV shows for entertainment on down days.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
following this thread with interest, we are looking to do our first season 2018/19, we plan to work (sorry) and we are a couple in our 40s (me) and 50s (him) so interested to see what others have to say

thanks
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Lost123, if you only "might pick up some work" then I echo what others are saying and sort your accommodation out early as the best places go early (usually before the end of this season for next season)!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another note... get fit! You’ll make more of the early season and avoid injuries throughout.

Off piste - you will probably want to venture out eventually. Get the gear, get the knowledge, get practice! Unbelievable the amount of seasonairres with no idea attempting some lines.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pick your resort. Secure your accom and pick up part time work to meet people when you get here. Some of my best friends today I met on a sabbatical in 2011 cleaning chalets
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds like a dream! My advice....make it a year and take the summer off as well and tour the alps, coast etc and enjoy. If you only have one chance then don't worry about the extra cost. Two years (or 10) later down the line you wont miss the money and/or you will have wished you had gone away for longer! Trust me. I did several longish trips in my early and late 20's and I wish like hell I had done more when I had the chance. You will always find work when you get back, so again don't worry about that.

Try to find accom as early as possible and buy all the expensive gear before you go as prices on the hill are usually a lot more. Dont waste all your money on drinking.....you will be surprised how fast you can burn through cash buying loads of drinks in bars. Have mates around and drink or find friends who work in bars Happy

Maybe buy a camper for the summer....

If you have to work don't work five/six days a week. You are there to ski right....so why work all week! Save before you go and work so you just have enough to get buy or make the savings last a little longer. You can work when you are back but its harder to ski everyday once back and working again.

good luck. I wish I was 31 again!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Check on insurance cover at any storage facility you choose. It can vary as to how much is covered and for what to no cover at all. A few have gone up in smoke in the past ending with some disappointed punters who thought their storage fees included insurance.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Agree with a lot of the above - don't work if you can afford not too.

If youre not working you might not need a full season. I've done 100+ days in a season, but it starts to drag. Around 70 days away with 60 on the slopes is just about right for me personally. Also means you can pick the best months so no late/early season skiing when dodgy conditions are more likely.

If you can afford it (it doesn't necessarily have to be much more expensive) north america is a better place than Europe to spend a season IMO. The way resorts are set up with in bounds off piste means you get to ski a much wider range of terrain than you would in Europe (without avy equipment and guides). Also means there's generally lots to explore and you will still be finding new skiing spots towards the end of your trip. Also slopes are generally a lot quieter and on average they get way more powder. No language barrier and better customer service are also bonuses.
latest report
Do not store outside - Google container rain.
I wouldn't do self store either.
Speak to a local mover and tell them how long your storage period will be and ask fir indoor containerized storage.
For 2 x 250 cu ft containers we would be looking at £15 per week + Vat.
Many companies would let you take the stuff to them and pack the containers yourself. If you are looking to save money then the moving yourself would be cheapest.
We are in the North East, if it's South East then add 50% at least
snow report
boarder2020 wrote:

If you can afford it (it doesn't necessarily have to be much more expensive) north america is a better place than Europe to spend a season IMO. The way resorts are set up with in bounds off piste means you get to ski a much wider range of terrain than you would in Europe (without avy equipment and guides). Also means there's generally lots to explore and you will still be finding new skiing spots towards the end of your trip. Also slopes are generally a lot quieter and on average they get way more powder. No language barrier and better customer service are also bonuses.

No, sorry but if you could include a number of resorts in N America in a season that would work fine but not if you are buying one season ticket for one resort only. For example I got round 7 US resorts (Utah/Wyoming/Montana) in a 6 week trip, by comparison did 16 weeks in Chamonix (Mont Blanc pass) and still never skied anywhere near all of it. If you're skiing 6 days a week for a season you're going to need seriously challenged.
For a full 4months + season of serious skiing you want Verbier/Chamonix/Val dIsere type places IMO. Little Angel
snow report
Agree with @@247snowman, especially if you don’t speak the language where you’re going. I’d rather feel live I’m genuinely living somewhere then on a five month holiday, and would want to be speaking the language there everyday. It’s such a great opportunity.

Any idea where you want to go?
ski holidays
Did this at about the same age. Started with 6 months travelling then a full season in Val D'Isere. Very different to my first season when I left uni as we just booked a flat and turned up. We could have just about got by without working, but I got a job in a hire shop for 2 days a week (weekend turnarounds) which helped both the finances and the social side! OH did the same hours as a Nanny. I still skied 5 days a week, and only really missed 1 particularly good powder day on a Saturday. Mostly I felt that 5 days a week was enough and I actually liked the change of going to work for 2 days.

But to do that you really need to be able to afford not to, as that sort of gig is almost impossible to find ahead of time unless you have contacts and you just need to turn up and put yourself about, with the chance that you won't find anything.
snow report
Most moving companies offer storage so that might be a good place to start. I've used this company https://threemovers.com/ to move a couple times and I know they've got storage available. Not sure what their prices are, but I'm sure they'll give you a quote if you call them and tell them what you need. As far as moving prices, they came in quite a bit cheaper than the other options I looked at.
snow report
@wowski, I'm guessing the shipping costs to the US may rule this company out
latest report
Bump alert!

I'm guessing that 4 years later the OP has worked out what to do. wink
latest report
Also, did the OP do his/her sabbatical? If so, any tips for anyone else planning on doing one?
ski holidays
I’m glad I read as far as BUMP, at least that solves my question of getting work while out there. I assume that would be a whole lot more complex now.
snow conditions
Quote:
...at least that solves my question of getting work while out there. I assume that would be a whole lot more complex now.
Not to mention that, for most of us, a 'season' in the EU is now 90 days max Sad

Still, it's not all bad news - at least we've taken back control from Johnny Foreigner and the NHS is £350m a week better off wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy