Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots online

Poster: A snowHead
Any advice on boot buying online. My local shops don't have what I'm after (Salomon X Pro 100).
Have tried on other Salomon boots locally and they seem to indicate 30.5 (I take 10-11 UK) is it safe to assume they use the same last(?) for all their boots.
If I measure up on the downloaded charts available my foot length is 29...help!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the general advice would be don’t unless a local reliable fitter is prepared to say in advance that they will be prepared to do any mods for you. Boot measurements and fit are not one dimensional.
I have bought Salomon boots on line myself, but only after trying the exact model in-shop. I do find that Salomon measure on the small size, that applies to other forms of their footwear as well as ski boots and general find that I have to go at least half a size bigger (in a U.K. size) than there advertised equivalent.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
edgy1 wrote:
Any advice on boot buying online.

Yes, don't do it!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski lots wrote:
I do find that Salomon measure on the small size, that applies to other forms of their footwear as well as ski boots and general find that I have to go at least half a size bigger (in a U.K. size) than there advertised equivalent.

This is where you simply can't generalise for everyone. My Salomon ski boots are labelled a full UK size smaller than any other footwear I own.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And I'm 10.5UK / 45EU in practically everything, and was fitted in to Salomon 27.0-27.5 boots.
And for Salomon walking boots, they're labelled as 45 and 1/3rd EU (which I think is what they deem as mapping to 10.5 UK). Clearly they're not really 45 1/3, but are the size that would normally be sold as 45 / 10.5 by anyone else.

So I'd say salomon shoes are bang on, but ski boots are several sizes off.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm a size 11 & my Salomon ski boots are 29. I certainly don't need bigger & I suspect that I may end up dropping a size next time.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
IMHO the uplift in performance and comfort you get from getting properly fitted boots is well worth the added hassle and a bit of extra expense over visiting your local ski retailer. I am not saying that my new boots were like carpet slippers but certainly 1000% better than the hire shop instruments of torture I was used to enduring. I wouldn't want to spend money on boots only to realise after half a week of skiing that they were no better than renters...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I guess the question is why do you specifically want a pair of Salomon X Pro 100 boots?

If you want them because they match your ski jacket/eyes/leave footprints that look like marmot tracks then go for it.

If you want them because you think they'll fit I'd say don't bother gambling and risk ending up with a pair that don't fit and having to spend again for a pair that do/might. Book yourself in with a SH recommended boot fitter and buy the pair that fits, so far as possible regardless of make/size/colour. Yes a single pair of properly fitted boots will usually cost more than you can find a random/the same pair online but fit wise I'd say you're looking at 80%/20% fitter, and much of that 20% is the boot fitters knowledge and experience. A good one will examine your feet and from their size/shape know that, for example no Head boots will be right for you but certain boots from either Atomic or Rossignol will.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have recently bought a pair of Salomon X Pro 100 ski boots from Ellis Brigham and included Sidas custom footbeds. After 4 goes at stretching the width I am now reasonably comfortable. Ski boots are measured in Mondo point size which is the exact length of your longest foot in CM. Don't try convert a normal everyday shoe size to Ski boots as it just doesn't work. The Ski boot should feel snug in the length where your toes are touching the front of the liner. A boot fitter will do a shell test where they remove the liner and get you to put your foot in the boot shell with your big toe just touching the front. If they can just get a 20mm stick between the shell and your heel then the boot is the correct length. This is quite the definitive test. The last of the X Pro is 100 - 106 which means that at size 26.5 the width inside the boot at its widest point is 100mm and can be stretched to 106mm. The longer the boot the wider the last.

You also need to consider the shape of the toe box, the height of your instep and any knobly ankle or toe bones. After buying 3 pairs of boots, My wife, younger daughter and myself I wouldn't buy over the Internet. You don't get a proper feel for the boots until you've skied in them. Mine felt fine in the shop but after going to the snow slope in Hemel I needed further work done as did my daughter. My wife's fitted just fine!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Could you ask your local ski shop that does fitting to order them in on your behalf, maybe if you pay a deposit and then fit them for you? I'm sure if it's an independent retailer, they would welcome any business/customer?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very many thanks for all replies, am now convinced I need a boot fitter to do things properly (mr), would be interested to know why you chose the X Pros ??
Good idea F03, will try out that with them and see what happens.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have relatively wide feet and the Atomic Live fit was too wide and the Salomon X Pro was the closest to being right for my shape foot 29.5 length and now stretched to about 110 wide. If I was buying now but had the knowledge I've gained through this process I would have also tried the Dalbello Pantera 110 as it has a slightly different design and is a little wider than the Salomon but not by much - Not sold by Ellis Brigham but a great Ski shop in Sevenoaks I stumbled across has them. I'm happy with the Salomons now though and looking forward to taking them onto the slopes in Thollon in Feb.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
edgy1 wrote:
Very many thanks for all replies, am now convinced I need a boot fitter to do things properly

Good conclusion, honestly it will be worth it.
You will probably end up with a totally different boot than you initially had in mind, but it will be for the good. Just make sure you pick an experienced fitter with a good reputation and then let them guide you through the process.

FWIW I buy most things I can online, but ski boots are one of those few things that requires several hours with an experienced fitter to get the best result. But at least you can then expect many years of optimal use without any risk of serious foot issues.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've had a pair of Dalbello Boots (INNOVEX 6.6) for a few years now, I don't think they were top of the range, but quite nice fitting.
As I said before my shoe size is 10.5, the boots have 336mm embossed on the soles (which is the length of the out-side sole), hope this is useful info for your possible purchase.!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I bought a set of 28.5 salmon xpro 110 and im a UK 9.5-10. After speaking to a ski boot fitter I was advised to get 27.5 which according to some scales is a uk 8.5. So Id go a size less than you would think....and if you happen to know someone selling Salmon XPro 110's at a very reasonable price (hint hint)...all the better. Razz Razz

Also something to bear in mind is your instep height...if its particularly high...salomons will hurt like hell after a while according to my fitter, especialy if you stretch them sideways

If it helps, I spoke to the fitter....got some advise and then bought online with no probs
latest report
Very tempting, if you lived near Redcar I would be interested.
Have made umpteen measurements and am still not convinced about doing any-thing but trying on first (at the least)
thanks
snow report
Well if change mind after visiting boot fitter let me know as postage would obv be included.

Good luck finding some boots though. Plenty of sizes so you'll easily find something that fits withoit trouble im sure
snow conditions
edgy1 wrote:

Have made umpteen measurements and am still not convinced about doing any-thing but trying on first (at the least)

The chances of you getting a great fit without expert advice from a fitter is only slightly above zero. At best you may end up with a sloppy "comfort" fit that compromises your ski control, at worst it will all end in show-stopping pain. It's about as simple as that really.
snow report
Quote:

And I'm 10.5UK / 45EU in practically everything, and was fitted in to Salomon 27.0-27.5 boots.

Same!
ski holidays
i"ve just been to a bootfitter and he"s told me i"ve been skiing in boots to big, my last boots were 29.5, i measured myself at home and i was 28.5, but the bootfitter said i was 27.5, so after trying on several pairs of boots at 27.5 i found them all to be a bit on the tight side, after flexing forward my toes were still cramped and touching the end of the boot, the bootfitter said he could modify the boot to my foot, but i wasnt convinced, so we tried a pair of 28"s and they felt much better, when i flexed forward my toes had a bit more space, maybe just a very slight hint of heel lift. but i felt the 28"s were better and no need to modify, exept for the personalised moulded footbeds, i was thinking of buying online, but then i thought i cant be bothered to keep returning boots if they dont fit.
ski holidays
@compostcorner, what happens you’ve used them a few times and the liners pack out... You might regret not listening to your fitter. He should be able to punch out the toe box if it’s cramped but you really want a tight heel fit or you’ll be swimming in them after a few weeks
ski holidays
Interesting to note that most of the very experienced skiers on here swear by bootfittters while some of the less experienced think they can go it alone 😉

Nothing worse for technique and enjoyment than ill fitting boots!
snow report
compostcorner wrote:
i"ve just been to a bootfitter and he"s told me i"ve been skiing in boots to big, my last boots were 29.5, i measured myself at home and i was 28.5, but the bootfitter said i was 27.5, so after trying on several pairs of boots at 27.5 i found them all to be a bit on the tight side, after flexing forward my toes were still cramped and touching the end of the boot, the bootfitter said he could modify the boot to my foot, but i wasnt convinced, so we tried a pair of 28"s and they felt much better, when i flexed forward my toes had a bit more space, maybe just a very slight hint of heel lift. but i felt the 28"s were better and no need to modify, exept for the personalised moulded footbeds, i was thinking of buying online, but then i thought i cant be bothered to keep returning boots if they dont fit.

Sounds like the 28s will be a step better than your old boots, but still all the common signs of being too big i.e. comfortable in the shop when brand new with a little heel lift = sloppy fit once they've done a few weeks skiing. You should have gone with the fitter's advice really. There's nothing wrong with modifying the shells, it's what most fitters do to get the best result.
snow report
to be fair to the bootfitter, he did say would i prefer a comfort fit or performance fit, so i went for comfort.
snow report
My CEM fitted Atomic Hawk boots are a full size smaller than my old Snow and Rock fitted Salomon boots. I had more discomfort from the larger boots!
snow conditions
compostcorner wrote:
to be fair to the bootfitter, he did say would i prefer a comfort fit or performance fit, so i went for comfort.

I've made that mistake myself on my last but one pair. I decided I wanted a comfort "all day" fit and that's how they felt for about the first week of skiing. Then they quickly became far too loose and I binned them after only about 4 or 5 weeks use. Never again have I asked for a "comfort" fit, but then again I ski at a fairly high recreational level so you may not be so demanding. Be interesting to see how you get on. The fact that your previous boots sounded massively too big will probably make these new ones feel amazing anyway.
snow report
i think i"ve only got 3 more years skiing left in me due to changing priorities, which in reality is only 3 weeks, so they have only got to last that long just cruising blues and reds, we do like a beer stop or two on the mountain so its only 5 hours a day skiing at the most. as long as theres no pain i"ll be happy.
snow report
@edgy1 if you live Redcar way you might consider glide and slide in Otley, the shop is renowned for booting fitting, they have a number of reviews. Good luck.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy