Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can anyone explain goggle lens colours for me

Poster: A snowHead
I have some Oakley A-Frame goggles and the lenses are pale yellow colour. They are wonderfully comfortable and I want to find out about getting different coloured lenses for them (I bought them last season in Zermatt when it was blizzard conditions as I only had sunglasses). However, skiing in Les Arcs last month the sun came out and they were hopeless. I reverted to sunglasses, but now wearing contact lenses found my eyes streaming. So back on went the goggles but the lenses were hopeless.

So, before I depart next month to Austria I would like to buy some spare lenses to take. Can someone please tell me if I plump for a spare colour, what colour would be the most versitile? i.e. if it is sunny, but then the light becomes flat later in the day and you can't see bumps clearly, that kind of versitality.

Hope someone can help. Thanks. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally, I use persimmon lenses 95% of the time - last year at the eosb it was so very sunny I had to break out my m-frame sunglasses.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yellow and pink are light contrast enhancers, they make the brigh, brighter and the dark darker. An orange reflective coated lens is perfect for sunshine, the coating on the lens reflecting excess light reducing glare. Sunglassess are the best option, but high catorgorie. A cheap or poor quality pair will do more harm than good. Darkened, low protection lenses will just dialate your pupils and let more of the harmful stuff in. Beware, get your uv protection checked at all reputable vendors. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
was pointed to this site by someone helpful in the past...
http://oakley.com/technology/lens_tints/
If you sort the lenses by brightness you get the idea - in flat light you need as much light as possible to come in - so the yellow/orange lenses that allow 60-90% of light to transmit through are best, which sounds like your current yellow ones are good for that.
If you want spare lenses for bright light you want to limit the amount of light transmitting through - so allsorts of other colours are available - that only let through 10-20% of the light
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountain mad that is a very useful link you have sent. Thanks. I've located the Oakley store in Covent Garden, so will have time to go and buy a spare before I go.

Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Beverley, I'd recommend buying a complete pair of A Frames for bright light (the Fire Iridium is the best IMO). Oakley goggles lenses are not designed to be interchangeable as you can easily damage the locating pieces in the frame. Oakley offer replacement lenses as spares to change in case of damage to the original, not as an interchageable system. They're also a pain to change & it's not something
to be done on the slopes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shame some of the other makes don't give the same info. I have a pair of Carreras with the Hyperred lens and they're great in bright to medium light, but when the light goes flat I can't tell which way is up or down. Nowhere on the Carrera site can I see how my light transmission their lenses permit. I was interested in the Bolle modulator goggles, but in the bright sunshine they aren't nearly as good as the Carreras and it was never sufficiently overcast to go back to the shop and test them in poorer light
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountain mad, Useful link. I have an ancient pair of Bolle goggles with pink lenses which have been very good for flat light. But looking at you link, they are perhaps not optimum.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I usually ski gold/orange and never usually have a problem save in whiteout conditions when 90% of the hill has already given up. There are better options for really bright conditions but as I'll often be moving from sun to shadow or tree cover then I prefer to have a versatile lens.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Beverley, I have a pair of O-Frame goggles and have bought spare lenses from Here.

I switch between persimmon in bad light and black iridium for everything else.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think you will find that buying new goggles is not much more expensive then buying oakley lenses. Changing lenses whilst on the mountain is a pain in the donkey and you will lend up loosing or damaging them.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have always used persimmon for flat light until i bought a pair of Bolle pink (vermillion?) lenses & they work really well for me
A lot of the boarder cross competitors were wearing pink lenses yesterday in flat light conditions. If you think about it red or pink is furthest away from blue on the colour spectrum (which is the colour you are trying to filter out as much as possible) then orange then yellow etc.....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I find pink best in the sort of conditions when I need to wear goggles instead of sunglasses. I would also add to PP's advice about trying to change lens while on the hill. Last week my skiing chums helpfully pointed out that a small part of the lens had come out of the frame on one side. In temperatures of about -10C a plastic lens is very brittle and, in attempting to manipulate it, it shattered right across. So much for helpful suggestions! While I am not going to pay the stupid premium for the Oakley name, these were Scotts costing around £45, and stated to be designed so that the lens was interchangable. Just do it indoors!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have the A frames with the pink irridium lens, which I think is new, because it's not on their website yet. I had a pair with persimmon lens last time, and I have to say that these are much better. I've not used them in the sun yet because I use my sunglasses, but a friend borrowed them last week and said that they were good in those conditions as well, so all round I would recommend them, although they were really expensive.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I cant see on that link the right the lenses for night skiing in the middle of a good dumping of snow Puzzled

I have a pair of Smith Disciple Ski Goggles- Black w/Rose Copper Lens - which are a lot better than the fist pair of goggles I got.... but just wondered what the opinion is for night skiing ?
latest report
Watching the mens' Super G this morning, I noticed that almost all the racers were wearing either pink, or pinkish orange, lenses, in very dodgy light. I saw just one with a yellow lens. The race director was also wearing goggles with a yellow lens.
snow report
The Bollé website is good for explaining (their) lens colours: http://bolle.com/technology/lens_colors.cfm
latest report
wrongsideof30, I don't like googles - I dislike the loss of peripheral vision which I regard as important in a contact sport like this.

Maybe if I start going quicker I'll change my mind but for now its sunglasses and I want some new ones. Interestingly, I was only wearing mine to stop the snow going in my eyes, I can see better without them, but my research reveals the dramatic increase in UV rays on the slopes so I will be wearing them more often.

When I put on my current pair of Cebe's which have a blue/red lens I find it harder to see the undulations of the surface, would a pink lens help ?

What is the benefit of cutting out blue light ?

Mike
ski holidays
mike.healy, removing blue light enhances the contrast: the difference between the shadows and highlights is increased. Pink lenses help a lot plus they're fine in sunlight, especially if there's a tint on the lens
snow conditions
mike.healy, definitely don't ski frequently without eye protection - too much UV seriously bad for the eyes esp. the lens.

I always thought snowsports were non-contact? Must be doing it wrong.
snow report
halfhand, re: a contact sport, I have in mind people who are going faster than their ability. I am keen it remains non contact so I do look around quite a lot.
snow report
I have a pair of pink Bolle's and they are excellent, with a very large lens which means no loss of peripheral vision.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy