Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good budget sunglasses?

Poster: A snowHead
Good budget sunglasses? Are there such a thing?

I usually ski in my raybans but they obviously they don’t give great protection from the wind when going any faster than walking speed.

Don’t want to break the bank, so can anyone suggest a budget wrap around pair with the right lenses.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look and see if Atlantic optical have anything. Make good sunglass bifocals. Cheap.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Must admit it's many years ago since I skied in sunglasses Cool but I would guess any decent cycling sunnies should do the job re the wind. Uvex are pretty cheap and do what it says on the tin.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got some from decathlon that came with interchangeable lenses for sunny and overcast days. I think they were about £25.

I didn't want to break the bank as I usually ski in goggles as I wear contacts and find them more protective, and also have some very expensive prescription sunnies for driving and other sports where I CBA with the lenses, but these were excellent out in the snow at lunch etc and they seemed to do a decent job of wind when cycling.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Screwfix item 89563 Bolle safety specs with smoke tint, 100% UV protection £8.99! I bought a pair to try, at that price I don't care if they are uncomfortable when on the mountain and I don't use them, optically, they offer the right protection. They are a full wrap round fit with no loer frame around the lens so no restriction of peripheral vision and I hope good wind protection. I really hate skiing with goggles and only use them if its too cold or bad weather for sunnies.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Http//:www.wiggle.co.uk sells some cheap sunnies under their dhb brand. You can get some with interchangeable lenses, if you're that way inclined, although I find the grey ones are OK (for cycling). On a low light day in the mountains, I'd rather wear goggles with decent coloured lenses.

The dhb ones are not very robust, but good enough for the price.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are a few good deals to be had on sportpursuit.com at the moment from various brands. Worth a look I reckon.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So i've found a extremely cheap pair of Velochampion warp sunglasses on ebay for only £14. These seem like the perfect option as a "suck it and see" experiment. My only question is, as they are cycling sunglasses, will they tick all the boxes for skiing??

Anyone had any experiance with them?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Decathlon, if you don't buy the cheapest stuff they do they're pretty good. Some of the cycling/hiking glasses will be perfectly good for skiing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Aldi cycling glasses
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for Decathlon: used them for many years for many sports & activities. Triathlon glasses usually, maybe cycling ( not sure if they all live in the same aisle these days or not).
Great fit for me (thin face) - but still get too much wind through them once skiing at reasonable pace ( and I'm not super fast) and on all but the sunniest and calmest days.
They are only Cat 3 though, as most are. Does anyone use Cat 4 (I do for alpine mountaineering but not skiing)?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Lightweight-Snowboard-Sunglasses-Anti-Glare/dp/B002LTK9CM/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1516648065&sr=8-40&keywords=ski+sunglasses+rayzor&tag=amz07b-21
I think they are a couple of quid cheaper on fleabay
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bolle Modulators . . .not cheap at £50 but not expensive either . . .great lenses for skiing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roscoe wrote:
Good budget sunglasses? Are there such a thing?

I usually ski in my raybans but they obviously they don’t give great protection from the wind when going any faster than walking speed.

Don’t want to break the bank, so can anyone suggest a budget wrap around pair with the right lenses.

If you want wind protection, then I’d go for something like this. I find them brilliant. Can’t attach the link, just google ‘padded sunglasses’ on Amazon.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Poundland cycling glasses are good.
ski holidays
Was in a Milletts today, large selection of sunnies & wrap-arounds all on sale prices.
ski holidays
Dends on your definition of cheap really. I've always found bloc to be good quality lenses and cheap too for what they are.
ski holidays
Decathlon wrap around sunglasses for skiing - £25 - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/skiing-700-cat4-id_8329379.html
ski holidays
I’ve got a pair of the velochamps which I use for cycling. Great quality with x3 interchangable lenses for the price.

They offered good protection from wind/ rain when going quickly (or downhill) so I’d imagine they’d be great for skiing too.
ski holidays
Plus one on getting them from Screwfix. I use DeWalt ones with a "fire" mirror lens in the sun:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-reinforcer-fire-mirror-lens-safety-specs/2356g

and the same with an "indoor/outdoor" lens, which has a very slight mirror and tint, for overcast conditions when it's not actually snowing

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-reinforcer-indoor-outdoor-lens-safety-specs/9281g

At £5.99 a pair I take a couple of spare pairs and have no worries about them getting lost, stolen or damaged. They have 100% UV protection, are very light, wraparound to keep the wind out and, being safety glasses, they won't shatter should you decide to headbutt a tree.

And the added plus for me is that all three of my teenage boys said they were "boss" which is, apparently, a good thing.
snow report
I used my £8.99 bolle safety specs from screwfix for the first time yesterday, really very good!!!! No restriction of peripheral vision and really good at keeping the wind out of your eyes. Much better than the sports glasses I got from Lidl. They are available with a yellow lens too for flat light.
ski holidays
@tangowaggon, I can’t find the ones with yellow lenses on Screwfix’s web site. Could you post a link please. Cheers.
snow report
Few Bolle options on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beeswift-RUSHPTWI-BOLLE-RUSH-TWILIGHT/dp/B00HER86JO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517155006&sr=8-1&keywords=Bolle+safety+low+light&tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
@Awdbugga, sorry, either it was a different model I was looking at or they are discontinued. There are others that are yellow or clear with 100% uv protection but it's best to check the spec before buying.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy