Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot Linner

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, what are your thoughts on how to get rid of the whiff from the liners? I ski hot and my feet do sweat a tad ! i"m guessing the liners are quite a few years old now and although they are snug and fit pretty good still I am thinking of going back to the shop and getting some new ones fitted. I have a narrow foot and took ages getting the right boot to fit so i am louth to just chuck them and get new. I do get sometimes a tiny bit of numbness on the the base of my toe joints ( not the ball of the foot but across to wards the little toe) but mainly when i start skiing again it goes. So i was also thinking that could help with new insoles. But if the whiff could go i could just try new insoles and not the whole linner. Thoughts please Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use a portable boot warming fan for an hour or so every evening straight after I stop skiing. No smells after years of use. Some people take liners out overnight, but I've never had to do that with a warming fan. I use a Thermic fan like this one:-

https://www.snowandrock.com/p/thermic-thermic-dryer-v2-I7144056.html?colour=3633
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bigtoe, i have the same problem. I usually have to replace liners every 3seasons or so.

Top tips.

1. New insoles won’t help.

2. Try covering your feet with Vicks ointment each morning.

3. Try covering your socks with vicks

Seriously, the eucalyptus and thymol oils are masking the smell, and somewhat anti-bacterial and fungicidal.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My feet are as fresh as a daisy...however, my son's are not - here's some things he's found useful:
- liners out & dried each night
- socks washed & dried each night (take 2 pairs)
- Scholl or similar foot powder in socks & in the liner. It's anti-bacterial & anti fungal.
- Boot Bananas
- liners washed & soaked in Mirazyme once a year. Probably doesn't do much for the fit of the liners - they're standard Salomon, nothing fancy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ill try some of the Scholl shoe spray and see if that works, But think it will be new liners. Maybe a trip to the ski shop on sunday. Thanks for the replies
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stick 'em in the deep freeze for a few days to kill off the bacteria and after that use boot dryers to remove the moisture each night
https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/thermic-boot-glove-warmers.html
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@spyderjon, excellent. boots going in now. They are quite close to freezing any how as I've left em outside Very Happy thanks
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spyderjon, just an up date. The liners now have no whiff. I left them to freeze outside for a couple of nights and its now gone. Took them after they stopped ponging to the boot shop and he put me on a mirror type bed saw my arch was dropping slightly which he says will account for the slight numbness. So new standard medium foot beds and a little wedge under the heal to take up a little slack in the boot to stop the heal lift. I am set to go. thanks for the advise Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As I side note, what socks do you wear?

Don't. Wear. Cotton. Socks - even as inners. Cotton absorbs sweat and just radiates BO all day. Merino ski socks let your feet breath through the liner better.

I normally suffer from relatively sweaty feet and the decisive factor in reducing smelly boots has been wearing merino socks with no inners. I used to wear cotton inners for warmth, until Colin pointed out that the reason I had cold feet was probably the sweat getting trapped in the cotton inner and then cooling my feet. Merino ski socks have given me warmer feet and less BO.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Easy answer is don't wear socks. I've actually taken it a step further and don't wear boots either. I've adjusted the bindings so they fit my bare feet. That first clip in in the morning is a tad uncomfortable but once you've done a couple of runs, especially in powder and your feet are numb so no pain. On the up side you end up with really clean feet. The downside is you need someone to help set the forward pressure setting as this has to be done with your feet in the bindings.

HTH Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ansta1, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
@dp, interesting ill have a scout for some new socks
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@spyderjon, thanks for the excellent advise, your boot warmers have just been ordered Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ansta1 wrote:
Easy answer is don't wear socks. I've actually taken it a step further and don't wear boots either. I've adjusted the bindings so they fit my bare feet. That first clip in in the morning is a tad uncomfortable but once you've done a couple of runs, especially in powder and your feet are numb so no pain. On the up side you end up with really clean feet. The downside is you need someone to help set the forward pressure setting as this has to be done with your feet in the bindings.

HTH Toofy Grin

Any chance of some pictures?
I tried last night but couldn't manage to get any toe retention, do you think I should switch to dynafits?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy