Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Detuning skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not a subject I've really looked into, TBH, but I do know that 20-odd years ago I used to get issues after with the tip or tail grabbing after a shop service, so always did the detuning. Then I learnt to ski better and it was no longer an issue. Was this because the skis had changed? Could very well be, but I'd suggest that anyone suffering such issues should really look into whether they can be resolved with technique rather than technology.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Chaletbeauroc, Back on long skinny skis I didn't like them detuned, took some of the responsiveness out of them. Just needed to ski better. And not catch edges.

If there was no obvious hanging burr, etc., I am going to suspect user error. But will say that it sounds much more like a tuning malfunction. Happened to Mrs U and I a few years ago when someone in the shop forgot a final finish ...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Detuning is good for mogul skis and mogul skiing. You are less likely to catch an edge at your tips and tales when making short turns. I have seen it done in some very primitive ways on the slope.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
@Chaletbeauroc, Back on long skinny skis I didn't like them detuned, took some of the responsiveness out of them. Just needed to ski better. And not catch edges.

When on straight skis I certainly liked them detuned at tip and tail - but I only skied a week or two per year, so needed the forgiveness. The only exception was skiing out of Maribel Mottaret over 30 years ago, when most of the runs were sheet ice. I ended up hiring skis, as they needed sharpening every night, which meant it was cheaper to hire (as they didn't charge for the service) then get my own serviced. I asked to have no detuning....and by lunch time, they were getting blunt again. Those were the most consistently (boiler plate) icy conditions I've ever experienced.

As I have got better and on modern skis, I have not thought about detuning.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 12-11-22 16:48; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skithesteelstealtheski, I'm not really qualified to comment, but I found my FIS SLs really quite surprisingly hard work in the zipline. Basically and not surprisingly, they just didn't like being asked to smear any part of the turns. Who knew huh? wink

FIS GS however, very fine.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One thing about doing your own tuning is you KNOW what was done You're not relying on them following your instructions, making assumptions about you and your skiing, etc. You can try things and decide if you like the results and then go make more changes that night. I cannot recommend it enough. I had to start doing it when I was skiing 4-5 days a week and my race daughter went off to college taking all the ski tuning stuff with her. So, in 2005, I started slowly building my skills and "shop".

I don't "detune", but hookiness can be an issue, so beyond the contact point I have a gradual base bevel increase to prevent the edge from engaging quite so soon in non-ballroom conditions. The edge is still sharp, with a 3° side bevel, but it provides a bit of relief. I lightly pass a gummi down the edge (no pressure) one pass, then feel for any remaining burr.

I used to try to get shops to follow instructions, but they are doing skis in quantity so they do what they want. The effort of returning things for a redo is emotionally exhausting. It's just easier if the tech you are mad at is yourself. And by doing it yourself you learn to identify what is causing the problem.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ousekjarr, @Klamm Franzer,
I must own up to being the "Third Man"

I'd used these skis for a couple of years from brand new "Kniesel Black Stars" and then had not used them, I needed to use them on a trip so thought it would be a good idea to get them serviced if nothing else to make sure the bindings are safe.

These skis used to be well behaved and did what skis are supposed to do.
But now after their first service, they were just nasty bitey things.
Yes they could hold an edge ... but were chittering to each other when on the traverse.

I took them to a local ski shop in Golden and they took the sharpness off the tips and tails for about 6"
They were better behaved but they are still naughty.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy