Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski boot flex index comparison

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

If we have the same flex for example 120, there are differences between brands?
Does anyone have experience with that?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brands, models, designated usage, it can vary hugely. Plus the biometrics of your legs make a big difference, sometimes you can flex a boot way more than it should be possible given it's rating. Flex ratings are really only a very rough guide.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ok, one last time, I hope. All boots, all of them are subject to the same test. Boots are put into a temperature controlled box 22°c, a piston is placed into the boot and the boots buckled up to the average resistance available, around 30nm. The boots are then flexed through 10°, 30,000 times. The energy used but this test is then divided by 30,000 and voila, the resistance of your boots in NM.

Now the difficulty comes thus. Different type, thickness, colour and density of plastics will then react at different temperatures. Also the tightness of the boots changes the resistance and flex. So when you try a Black, Thin plastic, 13Onm boot that is tight on your foot, thus not buckled too tight, and you put a white, thick plastic boot, of certain type and high volume, this buckling tight, at room temperature (23-26°?) the boots will feel different. Therefore you'll be persuaded one way or another depending on many factors in store.

Your average ski boot plastic will get stiffer by a factor of 5ish between 15° and -15°, thus approximately the boot of a flex of 100nm could easily be 500nm during a cold January. Approximately each tooth on the boot as you buckle up tighter will increase residence of the boot by 5nm, dependant on fit and liners.

Hope that helps! xx
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CH2O wrote:
Ok, one last time, I hope.

So the engineers know how stiff a boot is, but presumably the marketing department have some input into the number that is printed on the side of the boot?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oceanic wrote:
CH2O wrote:
Ok, one last time, I hope.

So the engineers know how stiff a boot is, but presumably the marketing department have some input into the number that is printed on the side of the boot?

Not if the number printed on the side has to correspond to the "standard" test procedure result at 22 degC. It seems to me like the main issue is that the standard test is unrealistic when considering the temperature that people actually ski in.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
uktrailmonster wrote:

Not if the number printed on the side has to correspond to the "standard" test procedure result at 22 degC.

Has to? There is no way to enforce this.

The graph in this article shows the flex characteristics of the 130 flex Atomic Hawk Ultra XTD against the flex characteristics of the 130 flex Technica Zero G. Of course the graph is produced by Atomic, but it certainly shows that they claim that their 130 flex is stiffer than Technica's 130 flex.

https://www.wildsnow.com/22206/atomic-ski-touring-boots-hawx-2017-2018/

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 21-01-18 18:04; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Which graph? @Oceanic,
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now edited to include the link!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Oceanic, cheers, not so sure that would be really that noticeable.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
And edited again to include the right link!

Sorry, distracted by trying to help my wife get Eurosports Player working, no Eurosports = no biathlon on tv = very unhappy wife!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
@Oceanic, cheers, not so sure that would be really that noticeable.

Possibly not, but the graph does show that it takes 20Nm less force to flex the Technica to CH20's 10 degrees, than it takes to flex the Atomic boot to the same angle. If 130 flex = 130Nm then 20Nm out seems to be a significant difference.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Oceanic, yep, point.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa wrote:
Plus the biometrics of your legs make a big difference, sometimes you can flex a boot way more than it should be possible given it's rating. Flex ratings are really only a very rough guide.

Very valid point for me this week... was convinced that one of my boots was flexing noticeably more than the other. Went to the bootfitter who, after some exercises, pointed out I can just flex my right foot way more strongly than my left.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I remember trying on a Lange freeride/touring boot meant to be a technical 120 flex and I could almost fold it in half. Then I tried on a Salomon Quest 110 boot that felt much stiffer so I bought that. I ended up selling it though as it was just too soft for my style of skiing. I ended up with the Quest max 130 which is fantastic for off piste, yet compared with my identically flex rated Atomic Redster it is a huge amount softer, way more comfy in varied terrain but I wouldn't like to drive a stiff piste ski with it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oceanic wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

Not if the number printed on the side has to correspond to the "standard" test procedure result at 22 degC.

Has to? There is no way to enforce this.

The graph in this article shows the flex characteristics of the 130 flex Atomic Hawk Ultra XTD against the flex characteristics of the 130 flex Technica Zero G. Of course the graph is produced by Atomic, but it certainly shows that they claim that their 130 flex is stiffer than Technica's 130 flex.

https://www.wildsnow.com/22206/atomic-ski-touring-boots-hawx-2017-2018/

I have no idea if manufacturers all use the industry "standard" test numbers or not, but I presumed they did. Regardless, the test is flawed and doesn't take into account the vast changes between lab and snow and how different boot designs change in those conditions. Comparing flex ratings across manufacturers is very hard, especially in a warm shop.
My own boots feel totally different in a warm room compared to -10 degC out on the slopes.
snow report
@uktrailmonster, need to have a simple standard though. Could argue that the reference temp should have been e.g. 0C.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@uktrailmonster, need to have a simple standard though. Could argue that the reference temp should have been e.g. 0C.

Agreed. It's a rough guide and boot manufacturers and fitters know what works for their target buyers, so not really a big deal as long as you don't expect the numbers to line up across brands.
ski holidays
I was chatting about boot flex with my fitter back in the summer and they said the flex number on the box was just a marketing number and a rough guide. Different makers use the same number for different things and even the same maker can use the same number for different things across their range. They also said boot flex hadn't really increased in the last 10 years but the numbers had - because there are plenty of people (mainly guys) buy on ego not fit. Release the same boot with one set of graphics and a flex number of X and a different set of graphics and a flex number of X+10 and a lot of people will buy the X+10 version because it's stiffer, so better and shows how good a skier they are because they can ski a stiffer boot.
latest report
FML
snow report
@Mjit, I assure you that @CH2O truly knows what he is talkng about... really, honestly, so your chum is, I believe talking through his toes.
latest report
CH2O wrote:
FML

Is it the bulb that's broke? Or the swively bit? (I googled).

[img]Bootflex[/img]
snow report
Inject exactly the same plastic into 4 different boot moulds and you will get 4 completely different flexing boots, it is not a simple as the material, but the wall thickness the engineering of the shell and even the colour to a point.

Try a boot on based on fit and see if the flex is where you want it, if too stiff go softer, too soft go stiffer, it really isn’t going to change any time soon as there are so many variables
snow report
Quote:

Try a boot on based on fit and see if the flex is where you want it, if too stiff go softer, too soft go stiffer, it really isn’t going to change any time soon as there are so many variables

Presumably this works because whatever feels right in the shop will be more or less right when you use them in anger on the slopes. ie they'll be much stiffer because of the lower temperatures but you'll also be applying much more force than just a little flex under body weight?
ski holidays
When people test flex in the shop are you clipped into skis? Big difference between pushing your shins against the tongue while keeping heels on the floor and having a Ski binding hold your heels down for you
snow report
olderscot wrote:
Quote:

Presumably this works because whatever feels right in the shop will be more or less right when you use them in anger on the slopes. ie they'll be much stiffer because of the lower temperatures but you'll also be applying much more force than just a little flex under body weight?

correct, you have speed momentum and a pair of skis on your feet
ski holidays
"The flex index refers to the plastic hardness of the ski boots. As there is no industry standard, the numbers are relative to other boots in the Tecnica collection".

From...

http://www.tecnica.it/products/zero-g-guide-pro/
latest report
@Oceanic, wrong, per CH2O above... he know about what he talks.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Oceanic, wrong, per CH2O above... he know about what he talks.

Both correct in a way, the test talked about is the what is used by most BUT it is not a “standard” that they must adhere to

Too many factors to take into account, wall thickness, boot engineering, how tightly they are clipped, size of the leg, pigmentation has it for bolts innitnkr a walk mode and finally the actual durometer off the plastic
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CEM, you also know of what you talk.

Surely it’s a broad comparitive indicator however, not just marketing puff.
snow conditions
@under a new name, biggest issue is how some plastics react at different temperatures, classic case in point was the rossignol all track pro 130, try them in the shop and they were soft as putty, get them on the hill at -10 and they were pretty solid but as they felt so soft in the store it put some people off buying them

I hunk companies dare not disclose exactly the flexes, as they don’t really know exactly, they know how one compares to another on their range and to their competitors boots which they test but take the same plastic and inject it into 4 different boot moulds form the same manufacturer and you will get 4 completely different flexing boots
snow report
@CEM, surely better than “should I buy the Explosiv 8 or 10 vs the XR or XZ?”

wink
latest report
@under a new name, yup marginally Laughing
snow report
@under a new name, you also knew what was going to happen to a boot called explosion 8 or 10 Shocked
snow conditions
@CEM, well, they were coloured international safety orange, had to be a bad sign surely?
snow report
I do have an intact pair of 8s, I think. TO1/2 might have binned them in fairness.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@CEM, well, they were coloured international safety orange, had to be a bad sign surely?

The original ones were a slightly pinker orange
Pair of teko ski socks ( inc uk postage) to the first person ( not in the trade, and within the next 24hours) to correctly comment as to what the colour was based on Little Angel
ski holidays
Something to do with TNT?
latest report
@endoman, afraid not

I should note it was not what the manufacturer intended but I believe the designer let it slip out ( or it became industry gossip)
snow conditions
Quote:

The original ones were a slightly pinker orange

Tequila Sunrise or even a Bellini? Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
@halfhand, cold I am afraid
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy