Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Noob Ski Buyer and Completely Lost

Poster: A snowHead
I spent a couple of hours last night jumping between eBay and YouTube trying to work out what second-hand skis would be best for me, but got nowhere.

Trying to pick a good length was my first stumbling block. I know the ‘formula’ calculates it on weight, ability and the target environment. This lead me to something around a 170 ski, erring very much towards on-piste,

A bit about me. Been skiing for about 10 years. Comfortable on most terrain, blacks, moguls, a bit of powder. I’d love to learn to carve, but I think I’m technically a long way from that and need to sort out my bad habits first.

So, to my question. Am I trying to throw myself in the deep end by going straight to eBay? I quite liked the look of a set of Solomon Storm X-Wing’s on there, but it seems they’re aimed at intermediate-advanced. Common sense tells me that I should try out a few different skis in-resort, but every time I’ve thought about doing it, getting out on the mountain and enjoying myself has taken priority and it just never happens.

How did you work out what your first set of skis should be, and was it the right decision?

Rat
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ratkinsonuk, which hire skis do you like? If you don't know, hire a few and take it from there. If you get a chance to go to a ski test, even better. I wouldn't worry too much about marketing blurb. Skis vary in width, stiffness, 'rocker', construction, etc. What suits one person might not suit another of comparable experience.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The only skis I can say I really enjoyed were a set of Volkl. I took a picture of them so I could go and buy a set, but then lost it in the ether Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ratkinsonuk, where did you hire the Volkl set? Contact the hire shop and see if they can let you know what model they had in stock that season... then somebody on here or a solid google search session might put you in the right direction!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok, taken a lot of digging, but I've worked out the skis were K2 Amp Impact 167 from 2013.

Nothing on ebay, so is there a second hand more recent equivalent or a similar ski you know would match this one?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ratkinsonuk wrote:

How did you work out what your first set of skis should be, and was it the right decision?

1. Decide where you will realistically spend most of your time.
2. If mostly on Piste - do you want to have a bit of extra width, for the odd excursion Off Piste ie. 80 - 84mm waist.
3. Do you like a stable, damp ski; or a lighter more playful one.
4. How fast do you ski and do you have a turn preference
5. Read lots of reviews and see if consistent characteristics appear across all of them.

You will only know it's the right decision once you ski it - which is why it's better to try before you buy.

FWIW. As a Piste ski, the Head iShape models are hard to beat...and have a big performance bracket and have been around for a while now:
Speed / Magnum / Rally / Titan

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 17-01-18 10:42; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ratkinsonuk, how many weeks a year do you ski? Do you fly? It may not be economical to buy depending.

Buying off ebay you have to know what you want, what to look for and what you want to pay. It's not easy.

Buying something you've used before or tried - or something you know skis similar - is the best, whether used or new.

Sounds like you need an all mountain ski with a piste bias.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Umm, thinking I'm gonna have to do the homework and put the effort into trying some skis out in Alleghe. At least I have a starting point now :-

" Ease back into the ski world with an intermediary ski, the K2 A.M.P. Impact Skis with Marker M3 11.0 Bindings for men. Offering performance and stability at an affordable price, this ski should surely not be overlooked by those who are looking to warm up their ski career again. Turning is a dream with these skis. Even at longer lengths, the turning radius is 16 meters which offers the ability to stop quickly and carve GS turns with ease. If a beginner skier is using these skis, get them in a shorter length so they can control them more easily. If the skier is more advanced, start getting longer skis which will handle better at higher speeds.
Key Features of the K2 A.M.P. Impact Skis with Marker M3 11.0 Bindings:

Sizes: 153, 160, 167, 174
Performance: Groomed: 60%, Ungroomed: 40%
Radius: 16m @ 174
Construction: Triaxial Braid - Hybritech Sidewall, Fir/ Aspen Core
Features: ROX Technology, Carbon Web, Mod Technologies, Mod Monic
Dimensions: 127/ 80/ 109
All Terrain Rocker"
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Old Fartbag wrote:
FWIW. As a Piste ski, the Head iShape models are hard to beat...and have a big performance bracket and have been around for a while now:

Given my post above, any idea which of these would match best?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Layne wrote:
@ratkinsonuk, how many weeks a year do you ski? Do you fly? It may not be economical to buy depending.

Generally only 2 or 3 weeks a year Layne. The Hire vs Buy/Carry debate is the one that's been keeping from getting my own skis, but if I'm gonna get off my ability plateau and start improving again, a consistent set of skis is going to help (along with proper lessons of course).

I'm a biker (engined variety) in the summer, and I can see how riding a different bike every other week would work against me in the long run, so I'm applying the same rules to skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ratkinsonuk wrote:
Layne wrote:

Generally only 2 or 3 weeks a year Layne. The Hire vs Buy/Carry debate is the one that's been keeping from getting my own skis, but if I'm gonna get off my ability plateau and start improving again, a consistent set of skis is going to help (along with proper lessons of course).

I'm a biker (engined variety) in the summer, and I can see how riding a different bike every other week would work against me in the long run, so I'm applying the same rules to skiing.

2 or 3 weeks is more than some and yes it won't do any harm to be on the same ski's each time.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ratkinsonuk, have a look on glisshop and ekosport. They have good deals on the models from the last couple of years.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ratkinsonuk wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Given my post above, any idea which of these would match best?

That depends on how often you venture off the piste.

The Titan is 80mm underfoot, so would be the most versatile.

The Rally (76mm) is the next widest followed by the Magnum (72mm).....either of these will be great On Piste and passable off to the side (depending on skill).

They are brilliant fun, but are not powder skis (which can be hired on the odd occasion when you get a big fall of snow).

I loved the Magnums, but I think the Rally might be the way to go, just to get a bit more width.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @Layne - it looks like the K2 Konic 78's at Glisshop would be ideal for me (https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski_set/k2/konic_78_ltd_m3_10_compact_quikclick_black_anthracite-124689.html?nosto=gs-product-associated)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The new Nordica Navigator 80 is possibly the bargain of this season. Apparently very user friendly, pretty versatile and yet very respectable performance. If I was looking for an easy going, but still serious, piste ski I'd be right on these myself and may even get a pair if there are any left in the end of season sales. Personally I wouldn't go down the Head iShape route in your shoes. They're great skis, but I think there are better all-round (as in less tiring and more versatile) piste skis for someone who isn't seriously carving on steep hard snow. I'd buy new over used any day too.

Glisshop are currently selling them for £280 ski only

https://www.glisshop.co.uk/alpine_ski/nordica/navigator_80-115191.html?utm_source=googleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=flux&rt76=29-872&emkfid=EMF-12929621782-k--55622303662--s&gclid=CjwKCAiAhfzSBRBTEiwAN-ysWNQo7Q0Lm_EoabMf95e07mDU_IspWtIv3YJDuYcvuH-9RaDgoUitTxoC3jgQAvD_BwE
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
I loved the Magnums, but I think the Rally might be the way to go, just to get a bit more width.

Cheers OF. I think as a first foray into owning skis, not sure I'm in that price bracket for the Rally and Titan. I'll keep an eye on the web to see if anyone is selling cheaper after the season ends though.
ski holidays
I've just got a new(ish) replacement for my k2 impacts of that era! Only reason I changed was a good deal came up. I would be perfectly happy to carry on using them, mine are the 174's. They're easy to ski, wide enough if you dip your toes off the edge now and again. I'm of the same train of thought, I prefer to get on something I'm used to (and also a biker). I bought them off ebay and they've easily payed for themselves although we've always had free carriage via lufthansa.
snow report
Do you still have them @Whitty?
ski holidays
@ratkinsonuk, The x-wings were a top ski in their day. You sound like an intermediate going on advanced skier, so they should suit you

Just be aware, some skis on ebay are ex-rental, so worse value than ones from a 'private' seller
snow report
albob wrote:
Just be aware, some skis on ebay are ex-rental, so worse value than ones from a 'private' seller

It's a company selling the X-Wings, but the condition within the description seems genuine - "A truly fantastic ski for a good intermediate skier. Great condition but usual wear and tear marks. Serviced regularly, and really looked after."

After all of the feedback from you guys, I feel much more comfortable about buying the right skis. It's nice to know I wasn't heading over a cliff edge! I'm gonna try something that matches the skis we've discussed in Alleghe next week, and if I don't find anything that feels just right, I'll come back and try the new K2's instead.

Don't be surprised if you come down from breakfast, and see me heading out to test drive your skis though Laughing

Rat
snow conditions
@ratkinsonuk, how much off piste do you do? You can go a fair bit wider than 78/80 and still be able to carve, ski bumps, GS down pistes, etc. I ski on Cham 97's and they give you more grunt in crud and float in powder whilst still retaining good maneuverability on piste. But if you rarely venture outside the markers you may as well go something built a little bit better for that sort of skiing.
ski holidays
ratkinsonuk wrote:
It's a company selling the X-Wings, but the condition within the description seems genuine - "A truly fantastic ski for a good intermediate skier. Great condition but usual wear and tear marks. Serviced regularly, and really looked after."

Mmmmm... what sort of company? As the other fella said I tend to look at private sellers. Preferably auction. Always check completed listings to see if you can get a guide on what you need to bid at and then use a sniping tool to bid.
ski holidays
ratkinsonuk wrote:
albob wrote:

After all of the feedback from you guys, I feel much more comfortable about buying the right skis. It's nice to know I wasn't heading over a cliff edge! I'm gonna try something that matches the skis we've discussed in Alleghe next week, and if I don't find anything that feels just right, I'll come back and try the new K2's instead.

Don't be surprised if you come down from breakfast, and see me heading out to test drive your skis though Laughing

Rat

Rat - If you like the skis you rent next week and they're in good condition, don't be afraid to make the shop an offer. I bought my first pair of skis direct from a rental shop in Les Arcs. They were new that season and were in decent nick. I had them edged and waxed as part of the deal, all in all, I didn't pay much more than an additional weeks rental. It was nearing end of season, but it may still be worth a try.
latest report
Layne wrote:
@ratkinsonuk, how much off piste do you do? You can go a fair bit wider than 78/80 and still be able to carve, ski bumps, GS down pistes, etc. I ski on Cham 97's and they give you more grunt in crud and float in powder whilst still retaining good maneuverability on piste. But if you rarely venture outside the markers you may as well go something built a little bit better for that sort of skiing.

Being able to carve on a wider ski is one thing, but learning to carve on a wider ski is generally not recommended. So I would still go for something around 80 mm wide if looking to progress carving skills on piste while still having reasonably decent off-piste capability. But I do agree that modern AM skis up to 100 mm can make great carvers for those with the skills and agility to get them up on edge. 100 mm has been my sweet spot for quite a few years now, but I still prefer something a little narrower on groomed pistes, especially on harder snow.
snow report
ratkinsonuk wrote:
Do you still have them @Whitty?

Yes still got them. One of my ski trip mates has said he wants them but not took them yet. I bought mine from a guy who had them from new. I've heard a couple of horror stories about ex rentals.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:

Being able to carve on a wider ski is one thing, but learning to carve on a wider ski is generally not recommended. So I would still go for something around 80 mm wide if looking to progress carving skills on piste while still having reasonably decent off-piste capability.

This is what was on my mind when recommending the Head iShapes, which have a great profile for carving. The tips are so wide, they really pull you into the turn.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

Being able to carve on a wider ski is one thing, but learning to carve on a wider ski is generally not recommended. So I would still go for something around 80 mm wide if looking to progress carving skills on piste while still having reasonably decent off-piste capability.

This is what was on my mind when recommending the Head iShapes, which have a great profile for carving. The tips are so wide, they really pull you into the turn.

Probably why the iShapes are so popular with instructors and those on instructor courses. But I would look for something a little easier going for an everyday ski, which is why I thought of the new Nordica Navigator. Trusted reviews I've read of that ski rave about its wide performance envelope and ease of use from intermediates right through to experts. Price is great too for such a new ski and looks like a bargain. I'm very tempted myself for a more dedicated mellow piste ski that will carve hard on demand rather than demand to be driven hard all the time.
snow conditions
uktrailmonster wrote:

Probably why the iShapes are so popular with instructors and those on instructor courses. But I would look for something a little easier going for an everyday ski, which is why I thought of the new Nordica Navigator. Trusted reviews I've read of that ski rave about its wide performance envelope and ease of use from intermediates right through to experts. Price is great too for such a new ski and looks like a bargain. I'm very tempted myself for a more dedicated mellow piste ski that will carve hard on demand rather than demand to be driven hard all the time.

All we can do, is give our recommendations (and why).....It is then down to the OP. A good case can be made for various options.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="ratkinsonuk"]
Layne wrote:
@ratkinsonuk,

I'm a biker too and iRallys are my one ski quiver, my bike is a street triple that is fab in the twistys, the iRallys ski like the striple rides, very responsive, go where and when you point them, possibly not the most stable at warp speed but that's a price I'm happy with for responsiveness.

My bike tyres have little or no chicken strips but I wish I was brave enough to lay the bike over as far as I can lay the Rallys over.

Mild ski or top ski for intermediate? It depends on how agressive you are. If you like getting your bike over in the twistys, learn to carve skis!!!

I paid £370 for my iRallys on the BB two years ago from the shop next to the portavescovo in Arabba, the shops in Alleghe weren't very helpful.
snow report
ratkinsonuk wrote:

Rat

I listened to my older brother too much who likes to ski very differently to the way I like to ski and there lies the problem with asking advice on a forum like this.

In reality I won my first set of skis in drunken party games in a nightclub in Andorra on my first ever ski hol in 1986, they were destroyed after 5 days skiing when I tore an edge off on a rock, I then won another pair in the same nightclub two years later, really crap skis and I bought some super g skis soon after, influenced by my brothers opinions but in reality I would have been happier on slalom skis.
ski holidays
Got a Jewsons near you?

https://www.newschoolers.com/videos/watch/889857
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Got a Jewsons near you?

https://www.newschoolers.com/videos/watch/889857

That link doesn't work for me.
snow report
https://www.newschoolers.com/videos/watch/889857/Skiing-on-2x4-s-
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, brilliant snowHead
snow conditions
Excellent, they missed a trick by not using a rocking horse for a rocker!
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
uktrailmonster wrote:

All we can do, is give our recommendations (and why).....It is then down to the OP. A good case can be made for various options.

Absolutely. Just thought the OP might benefit most from the latest crop of "user friendly" carvers given his stated ability. It's not like the best of them are even much of a compromise over full-on race skis for expert recreational skiers. The days of having to buy a full-on race ski to carve aggressively on piste are long gone. My own experience on skis like the iTitan is that they can be quite tiring as an everyday ski (at least comparatively speaking) and are not quite as versatile in varied piste conditions as skis like the Nordica Navigator, K2 IKonic, Salomon XDR etc. Not saying iShapes wouldn't be a great choice too, but almost certainly more ski than the OP will ever need and certainly a little more demanding to drive. I was going to say that's my 2p worth, but probably more like a £1, lol!
latest report
I've got a pair of 170 length 2013 Supershape Titans (white, blue, yellow model) that are gathering dust in the spare room if you're interested? They're in good shape and haven't been used at all for the past 3 years (and probably only used for roughly 12-14 days skiing in total)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 18-01-18 13:38; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
I've been skiing about the same amount as the OP. But for the last few trips I've been on my Volkl RTM 75mm IS's. Which I can't really do anything on them off piste but really good for hard groomed slopes. It's probably technique and my weight but I just sink.Funny that they were marketed has 75/25 on piste and off. But only a few years later they would be considered thin. I will get fatter skis in the future but I really want to totally nail high speed carving and high speed before I visit the back country.
Buying skis is not really an economic argument but I have for consistency and it's something to stroke during the summer.
snow report
FrequentFaller wrote:
Buying skis is not really an economic argument but I have for consistency and it's something to stroke during the summer.

Now there's a vision I'll never get rid of wink
snow conditions
FrequentFaller wrote:
Funny that they were marketed has 75/25 on piste and off. But only a few years later they would be considered thin.

Well, firstly a 75/25 split is going to mean that they are really piste ski's. It's a bit of an arbitary figure but I'd expect a true all mountain ski to be given a 60/40, 50/50, 40/60 split. Nevertheless, advances in ski construction have allowed all mountain skiers to widen quite a lot.

FrequentFaller wrote:
I will get fatter skis in the future but I really want to totally nail high speed carving and high speed before I visit the back country.

Never to early to dabble or more beyond the markers IMO. The technique isn't or shouldn't be that different so no reason not to learn as you go.

FrequentFaller wrote:
It's probably technique and my weight but I just sink.

Even with a 100mm waist you will still sink to some degree.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy