Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Expensive socks. Are they worth it?

Poster: A snowHead
Just had a new pair of boots fitted and they are down a size from my last ones so fairly close fit. The boot fitter was not impressed with my normal fairly thick ordinary socks that I wear for everything. She lent me some proper ski socks with the left and right thing going on and were quite a lot thinner. When I got home I thought I better check some out. I looked on line and you can pay up to 50 notes for a pair I couldn't believe it, a weeks worth would cost more than the boots. Some where even called "carving" socks. Its got to be a joke surely.

It might be a trip to Aldi's for me.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You want as thin as possible but you can get them for way less than £50. Some people even wear standard compression socks.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Faller, Cheap McNasty here. Socks is one place I wouldn't scrimp too much on. Especially materiel, you don't want sweaty or cold feet to ruin your day. £50 sounds a little steep though, £20 is more reasonable?
I wonder if the boot fitters intentionally give you thinner socks with the expectation that the inners will squish over time? Maybe an expert can advise better? My 10 year old boots used to fit perfect, now I wear 2 pairs of thick socks and hotshots in the them :S
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@FrequentFaller, I use Teko ski socks which were recommended to me by a well known bootfitter. You can get them from £18.95 upwards (or a 2 pair pack for £29.95) with free delivery from here.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@FrequentFaller, You can pay more than £50 if you try Shocked

The main criteria for me is that they stay up and maintain their shape, so I use socks designed to offer compression. I find I can get away with a couple of pairs for a weeks skiing, but my feet don't get sweaty.

Also most socks cover 2 or 3 EU sizes, so you will find some fit better than others. I like Falke socks, but you need to find what works for you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure but you may have just missed the Aldi merino/silk mix ski socks which get rave reviews here. Have a quick look on their website but looks like they were selling out fast.

Otherwise keep an eye on Sports pursuit as they regularly have socks there.

No need to pay anything like £50 for them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@FrequentFaller, we have Teko and Smartwool mainly. Not exorbitant - they are on sale in Snow and Rock at present. Both wash well, but after washing and drying completely, store in plastic bags otherwise the moths will have ‘em.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@FrequentFaller, while I'd never pay anything like £50 for a pair of socks how many pairs do you need for a week that, even at that price, they'd cost you more than your boots? FWIW I like the Aldi ones mentioned above. Just got another two pairs.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've had Decathlon socks for my last couple of trips. Works for me but everyones leg / foot shape is different...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Aldi silk socks are still in my local branch - bought pairs for my daughter, myself and hubby today. £4.99 each Happy

Edit to add - don’t hang around if you were considering them as the ski gear came in Thursday (last week) and quite bit of it had sold out.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 16-01-18 23:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@FrequentFaller, did same as you and went down a boot size with new boots. Bought some Falke SK5 and some other of the thinnest socks I could find, and I’m going to buy more Falke SK4 or 5 ones.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can usually get Smartwool socks for about a tenner (TK Maxx / Sport Persuit). I also picked up some reasonable (thin) Spyder socks in TK Maxx, for a Fiver.

Decent socks don't have to cost a fortune, if you hunt about.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Old Fartbag wrote:
Decent socks don't have to cost a fortune, if you hunt about.

You don’t live in Sweden Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Normal running compression socks work fine for me. Can also use them outside of skiing and don't feel so bad about buying new ones just before a trip.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@valais2, I 2nd Smartwool - I normally buy from Sports Pursuit. I'll normally wear 3 pairs throughout a week...
latest report
I have some thick horsefeather & thin Salomon.
They do for me.

A good pair of socks should also help with blood flow (think flight socks) - so make sure they do the job needed & not just think they are ski socks because someone says they are ski socks.
ski holidays
I've been able to pick up Falke SK4s for less than £15. Just don't be fussy on colour etc. Womens are often cheaper than the mens, they stagger the sizes slightly differently.
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
Womens are often cheaper than the mens, they stagger the sizes slightly differently.

@Scarpa, and I guess they also match your Dirndl.... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
look for Thorlo ski socks, as used by Bodi Miller. and USA ski team ( thats their claim, or used to be) £20 a pair off flea bay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorlo-SL-Ski-Socks-Over-Calf-FIRE-RED/142144313090?hash=item2118761702:m:mcMsv9aI7sc_nHErBs-xZUw

used them for years thin, wash well
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
@FrequentFaller, I use Teko ski socks which were recommended to me by a well known bootfitter. You can get them from £18.95 upwards (or a 2 pair pack for £29.95) with free delivery from here.

I've got 3 or 4 pairs of thin Teko merino socks and they've been great over many seasons and still going strong. Also got a pair of Falke compression socks which are also excellent. They were a little more expensive than my Tekos, but don't perform any better for it. Other brands I've used are Smartwool and Icebreaker, all good stuff. I think if you budget £20 a pair (ideally in ski sales to get the most for your money) you'll be absolutely fine. I've certainly never spent £50 on a pair of socks! I would stick to thin "performance" ski socks whatever price you pay, don't go for anything thick or even medium. If you keep them exclusively for skiing a good quality pair should last for many years. It's at least 5 years (30 weeks skiing) since I last felt the need to buy any new ones.
snow report
@FrequentFaller, sport conrad are selling Falke socks for €28 at the moment. Not cheap but worth it imo.
snow report
Socks really are a viable alternative to chains snowHead

Oops wrong type of socks wink

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 17-01-18 13:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@FrequentFaller, Falke SK4 for me at £15 a pair well worth it.
latest report
I have Teko too and they are on sale from Raijin sports at the moment (on website and shop in Fulham but be warned the shop hours are a bit irregular and best to ring to check they will be open even over stated hours)

£12 to £30 per pair depending on model.
ski holidays
@ster, Thanks I've just been Raijin and ordered a couple of pairs. I'll see how I get on.

Oh and thanks to everybody else for their advice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy