Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CHANGING UP CASH FOR ANDORA

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've just booked up to go to Pas de la Casa next week, Flying out on Sunday, and I have a question that I'm sure someone here can answer.

What is the exchange rate like in resort? Should I change to euros before or after going?

I do already have a foreign currency credit card which I will use where I can, but that will be a bit clumsy in some places I'm sure.

I went to Bansko, Bulgaria for the last three years and got a much better rate in resort, but I suspect, being the Euro, it might be less of a difference.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just use cash machines as normal
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Unfortunately my bank charges high fees for foreign withdrawls.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Take a look on Money Saving Expert website - loads of advice. Suspect you're now too late to get an account opened (and card delivered) with some of the recommended app-based bank accounts that have free withdrawals.

Bearing in mind it's so soon you're going, pre-order some currency to collect from somewhere (airport...?) before you go.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use Fair FX, who seem give the best rates, accept debit card payment, and deliver the next day.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would normally recommend something like Revolut https://www.revolut.com/ but I'm not sure you could get a card sorted by Sunday.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Link to comparison with delivery options:-

https://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RedRob, As @tangowaggon, Get yourself a Halifax Clarity Credit Card - draw out as cash and pay off that day, and its free Happy - best rates going too
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PaulC1984, for that to work do you pay off your whole balance, or just enough to cover the cash withdrawal? I have a Clarity card already, using it mostly for travel, so when euros are taken out a cash machine there will most likely be other spend building up. Previously I've just paid interest on the cash.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I find that the difference between prebooked cash at the airport (always prebook, often 10+% difference if not) is so close to the best rates on the high street that it isn't worth carrying around a lump of cash for days before I go away.

Euros particularly the difference varies not much, so book it and take cash, couple of hundred quid in Euros will always get used up, if your bank is decent then using card to pay for things tends to be fine but there are times when places don't take cards or it isn't convenient.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Did you ask your bank for advice on the cheapest way of using your card(s)? Fixed or percentage charge on withdrawal / cash advance / pay in a shop?

Mine explained me the different charges on credit and debit cards, and it was clear that credit cards were WAY more expensive than debit; something like €5 + 4% on a CC for each transaction rather than 0.4% on a DC.

BTW if you didn't know, Andorra is outside the EU so for heaven's sake switch off all roaming on your mobile. I've been there several times, still get a text after 2 days saying "You're approaching your 50 euro limit" as I forgot some weather/email app was constantly refreshing in the background.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@balernoStu, Not sure, but I suspect the whole balance. I have it purely for travel, so draw out bulk case at the start of the holiday, and then pay off the full balance. Then if I'm using it as a card for meals etc ill leave it, unless of course I use it to draw out more cash, then ill pay the whole balance to be sure - never paid a dime of interest this way.

In fairness, how much cash do we need in this day and age anyway - i find drawing out 400 at the start of the week does me, and the rest goes on card.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a Santander 123 account.

If I withdraw cash using debit card, I am charged £1.25 per transactio (Non-Sterling Purchase fee) plus 2.75%

It's really not worth it. As I said I do have a foreign currency CC which doesn't charge for spending, but Cash withdrawals accrue interest straight away, no 28 days before interest starts.

I was just trying to find out where I will get the best exchange rate.

I'll probably just get it UK side. I managed to save about £20 in Bulgaria, simply by changing up in resort, but I doubt Euros will be that different.

@balernoStu, to answer your question, I'm pretty sure that credit card companies are obliged by law to allocate your payment to clear the highest interest items first.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
balernoStu wrote:
@PaulC1984, for that to work do you pay off your whole balance, or just enough to cover the cash withdrawal? I have a Clarity card already, using it mostly for travel, so when euros are taken out a cash machine there will most likely be other spend building up. Previously I've just paid interest on the cash.

See B7.4: https://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/help-guidance/terms-and-conditions/clarity-card/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sugarmoma666, Bingo, thanks - I've never really checked as I always pay it off, but fair play to Halifax for looking after their customers!
latest report
@PaulC1984, the only thing you have to watch for is transactions landing later than you expect. I have the Halifax Clarity app on my phone so I can see when the cash transaction lands and pay it off.
snow conditions
@sugarmoma666, Yup, i pay it all off instantly wink
ski holidays
Been to Pas for the last three years. Mostly use the card all the time. Only used cash at cafes up on the slopes for cheesy chips.
ski holidays
@sugarmoma666, well spotted!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy