Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Unexpected need to buy new ski setup

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Trashed my 3 year old dynastar Cham 97s this weekend. Meh off trail conditions ( in USA, not alps, that's for sure). Big gouge that likely carried into the tail and delaminates the rear of a ski. Local ski shop telling me they can't run ski through machine and can't fix it. I really loved that ski.

I did not think I was going to be in this situation for a few years, and was planning a major overhaul of my set up when my 5 year old atomic wayfarer boots needed to be replaced. So thank you for reading this, as I was ultimately leaning towards a stronger side country setup. Other equipment that I have is a touring setup, dynafit radical cr boots and a pair of fisher ranger skis (90 underfoot), all mounted with AT bindings. I don't seem to tour much, so that equipment is fairly unused.

My though was to get a beefier sidecountry setup, that also handles well in resort. I prefer a one quiver solution. I am fairly strong skier, crud, high speed groomed, bumps if they are there, powder if lucky and willingness to hike to get there. Haven't really followed ski development, but intrigued by dps, line and a local company, parlor. Like I said, I loved my Cham 97s. Will also say I hated salomon soul 7s, they felt really chattery to me.

So here is dilemma, do I try and make my dynafit boots a resort boot, and get an AT setup that works in resort and sidecountry? Can I bang around that type of setup in bumps? Then what type of ski! And binding setup?

Or do I keep my boots (maybe 2 years left in the liners) and transfer fairly decent binding on my cham 97s to another all mountain resort setup? I could even find cheap old Cham 97 and just replicate.

Thanks for helping me think this through. Wasn't expecting to need to figure all this out so soon. Ohh, and if I gave a cool new set up, would be great to bring to 3v in mid-feb.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well there seems to be quite a lot of ski development going on at the moment, with a lot of focus on reduced weight and versatility. Dynastar have overhauled their lineup with the new Legend X series in various widths. Volkl also have introduced several new models over the last couple of seasons with their "3D ridge" construction and so on. Even the Soul 7 has morphed into something new this season. Seems like a good time to take up the newest ski tech on the market. I'm not into touring, so not the best person to recommend anything specific. But for resort based on and off-piste I'm loving the Volkl 90Eight for its light weight and ability to work in a very wide range of conditions.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try doing a clamped epoxy repair and just hand sharpen them. They would make good rock hoppers for early season skiing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wanted to do some touring after doing a week and brought a touring set up that worked with standard boots. But in the end I didn't do any more touring and just used the kit for all mountain resort skiing. It was OK, not optimal but OK. Why not just get some Cham 2.0 97's. Personally I wouldn't transfer over the bindings, just buy new - as it will cost to do so and they may not last.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Layne, wondering why the touring setup was less than optimal? did it not feel beefy enough? I am a bit worried that I ski within resorts pretty hard. I have used the Cham's for fast skiing (50 mph) if ski tracks are to be believed, then drop into bumps, scratchy/ice, and powder if lucky, often, many of those conditions in one day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Layne wrote:
Personally I wouldn't transfer over the bindings, just buy new - as it will cost to do so and they may not last.

It’s easy to transfer bindings if you want. Just buy the drill bits from Jon at www.thepisteoffice.com.

I recently bought some Beast 14s (also from Jon btw) and put them on my Line Sir Francis Bacons, and use them for my one ski quiver. Good so far. Given they are designed to be a freeride binding, they’ll be fine in bumps etc.

It’s a shame the Salomon SLab shift isn’t out yet. Looks very interesting.

I had a couple of days skiing/touring on some Cham 97s and liked them a lot. If the same happened to me I’d look for some new Bacons or Cham 97s.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Redwine wrote:
@Layne, wondering why the touring setup was less than optimal? did it not feel beefy enough? I am a bit worried that I ski within resorts pretty hard. I have used the Cham's for fast skiing (50 mph) if ski tracks are to be believed, then drop into bumps, scratchy/ice, and powder if lucky, often, many of those conditions in one day.

To be honest they lastest a fair while but yeah one snapped in the end. They were Diamir Fritschi bindings. Plus I think they are sub-optimal simply from a point of view they are clearly overdesigned for what you are using them for. I have lost trust in bindings a little as I've had trouble with others hence why I am against transferring over. These days I am as keen to get new skis to get new bindings as I am the actual skis. I am 6'4" and 100kg - though I was probably 10kgs lighter when I had the Fritschi's!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy