Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best driving route to Bernex?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, we're driving down, en famille, to Bernex over the February half term, staying over near Reims on the night of Friday 9th, heading to resort at a child-friendly 9am-ish Saturday 10th. Now, of course, this is going to pitch us right into traffic heading down to the Alps. According to Bison-Fute, it won't be the worst weekend of the holidays though. I've read that several others heading to nearby-ish Chatel take the route via Switzerland Besancon-Pontarlier-Vallorbe-Laussanne-Montreux and we'd be up for that - does anyone with experience of holiday traffic have an opinion as to whether this route is likely to save us time, or is Switzerland equally affected? We'll have Michelin Cross Climate tyres on and will have chains, although ideally it would be best not to have to use them if possible (I realise noone knows the weather this far out!).

Here's a curveball - Via Michelin suggests another alternative from Reims. Over the Vosges and down through the centre of Switzerland, so Nancy-Colmar-Basel-Bern-Montreux. Anyone tried that one? Saves a lot on French tolls.

Thanks in advance for any experience shared.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
France zone A plus Belgium that week so not crazy busy. Still would look to be on the road earlier than 9. Assuming no traffic you have around 5h30m driving time.

If me I would be going via Besancon and Lausanne. I've done the Vosges, Basel, Bern route. Definitely slower.

I like Bernex a lot and we often have a day there though not in a peak week. Hope you enjoy it and welcome to Snowheads
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes - agree with @DJL, if you can't be early in the morning, best to leave it a fair bit later and arrive in resort around 6 pm.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Stew P, If you want to get off the autoroute and save some toll money, then a variation of the route suggested by @DJL, is to exit the A31 Junction 6 Langres Sud and hit the D6 - D67 through Gray and on to Besancon. Fairly straight fast road (slow down for the villages Smile ) that will add about 20 minutes to the trip
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Stew P, Agree with the others and I'd look to be leaving Reims by 8.00 otherwise you've lost your Friday night stopover advantage.

If you will be going through Chatel to get to Bernex (I don't know if you would, maybe you can carry on round the lake instead) then you need to looking to avoid arriving between around 4-7pm on that Saturday as it can be gridlocked going through the resort and if it's snowy then Shocked with all the ill equipped cars sliding all over the road. I speak from experience of it taking over an hour to go through on one busy transfer day.

Never done the Basel Bern route. But done many variations of the route to Vallorbe. All much of a muchness but choose your road wisely according to weather conditions on the day as some of those roads are very minor and very much out in the sticks. However if the weather is good then they could save time by avoiding Besancon and Pontarlier. Our usual route of late has been Poligny, Champagnole, Chatelneuf to Vallorbe.

All the best with it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Stew P, And Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Stew_P We've driven that via Berne route the other way, coming home from the Valais, and staying a few days in Berne as part of a summer driving holiday - it seems a very odd direct route to suggest (ViaMichelin came up with it last night as a our route from Troyes to nr. Martigny as well). It's a very long way 'round and you have to get through the mountains of the Bernese Oberland (we did it using the Löschberg car drive-on/drive-off train). Lovely in the summer, but I wouldn't recommend it in the winter.

I've driven along the southern side of Lake Geneva, starting from Geneva going east, and another time from Port Valais going west. The route via Lausanne will be more on Autoroutes and will bypass Lausanne and Montreux then you come off for Port Valais and it's a B road to your turn-off for the resort. Whereas the western route involves driving through the suburbs of Geneva and much more suburbs/B roads. The southern side of the Lake is single-carriageway so it'll be busy from both directions. For me the A9 Lausanne route is preferable, but you could still get stuck in busy traffic on the A9.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 15-01-18 10:27; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From leaving the mortorway in Monthey I think it's a few of KM shorter to go via St Gingolphe and up that way.
This also avoids Chatel and the Pas de Morgins, which can be busy on weekends.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sarah wrote:
@Stew P, Agree with the others and I'd look to be leaving Reims by 8.00 otherwise you've lost your Friday night stopover advantage.

Having been caught in the queues at the A26 & A4 junction just north or Chalons that normally seem to start around the services shortly after the tolls, I would suggest leaving Reims no later than 7 am that weekend.

@Stew_P Don't do what we did a few years ago and over sleep. Stayed in Troyes, didn't wake up until just after 7 and managed to get away by 8, but this meant we got caught in the traffic jams near Bourg en Bresse Embarassed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Certainly no need to go via Chatel. The route along the S side of Lac Leman is OK but all single carriageway and slowish.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks so much to everyone for all your tips and suggestions. We'll have to make a call on the day based on the weather, but all things being equal I'm leaning towards the Langres-Gray-Besancon-Vallorbe-Lausanne way and then sticking to the southern shore of the lake rather than heading up the pass towards Chatel.

While I wholeheatedly agree also with the idea of setting off early, that's easier said than done with a 4 year old and a 1 year old in tow! Getting out of the house seems to take 3 hours when it should be 3 minutes, but maybe if we take minimal kit into the motel and skip showers etc. in the morning we can be off and away. Fingers crossed! snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Stew P, Saw this on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/AlerteRadarHauteSavoieSavoie/photos/a.212037358961260.1073741826.137115489786781/965184683646520/?type=3&theater
You should be through by then but the road through St Gingolphe will be closed on Sat 10th Feb from 19.30 to 21.00
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy