Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl 90EIGHT

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is a bit of a Cinderella ski; outshone by more glamorous siblings like the Mantra and V-Werks Katana, but for a holiday skier who wants to maximise their skiing over the whole mountain the 98 has a lot to offer.
They aren’t lookers, apart from the 3D ridge they have little visual appeal, however you don’t buy Volkls for their graphics; more for quality German engineering and reputation for making thoroughbred skis.
Pick them up and they’re light and springy and that’s how they ski.
The SCGB rates them as a freeride ski, but they are really good fun on the piste too where they can be bent into any turn shape. They are remarkably quick from edge to edge. You can snap off the tail into the next turn or relax and let it slide a bit for nice rounds turns. They don’t suffer from excess rockered tip flapping about like some freeride skis. They seem most comfortable at medium speeds in medium radius turns ie what most skiers do most of the time. But they will slalom down the fall line or carve super g turns too. Obviously there is a limit but most holiday skiers won’t reach it. They also ski slowly which can be helpful if you want to ski with small children or beginners. They carve or slide at will and here’s best bit - they take very little energy.
If you like to ski from first lift to the last lift with a bun in a bubble for lunch then these could be what you’re looking for.
The low swing weight and snappy feel make for great fun in the bumps and easy to stay in control.
Off piste in boot to knee deep snow they are effortless fun, Especially if you like making neat old school zip lines down the mountain. They positively dance in the soft stuff. In wet heavy deep new snow they become more difficult, but not impossible.
If the 90Eights have a weakness it is broken chopped up crud. They do get bucked around and you need to concentrate to stay on course. With speed you will stay on top, but they are never going to be as effective as a ski full of metal.
Bung on a touring binding though and they are a great set up for getting to those hidden slopes away from the tracked out snow.
If, like me you’ve been looking for an all mountain, go anywhere, one ski quiver; here’s one that makes skiing easy and effortless in most conditions. It might not have too much lift line appeal but it is a lot of fun without tiring you out.
Finally they are really good value for money.
I have the 16/17 90Eight in 177 with Marker F10s mounted on the line and Scarpa Spirit 4 (not very stiff) I’m 75 kg and been skiing for 50 years including a bit of racing.
Hope this helps.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BertieG, yep. We liked them as well, like a Mantra-light. Arguably a good candidate/alt to the one that’s a bit skinnier than the Mantra, or for lighter skier.

And they come with pink graphics so as not to intimidate the chicks.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was looking at the Völkl BMT 94 for touring but just couldn‘t justify the price. Then saw the 90eights get great reviews in a German and Canadian ski test. They are not that much heavier than the 94’s. I’m a bit lighter than you and run a narrower ski with metal in it for harder conditions but find the 90eights in a 177 in all other conditions great. Picked a pair up for 340€.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’ve always loved Volkl skis! Saw some 100Eights today and thought they look pretty smart. Tried the Confessions the other day and they were very Volkl - super smooth, stable and damp
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just side swiping the thread, last year after some testing the Mrs went Mantra (we tried the 98s) but I couldn’t get my head round the rocker. The skis itself and once into a turn was ok but skittish for me.

Must say though and it’s not just me, the Mrs is skiing at a (i hate the term) new level. She is fitter than in a while, but skiing very fast.

Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@BobinCH, yep. Have been on Völkl since 1987. One excursion to an Atomic all mountain something or other, but they turned to rubber after two seasons so back to Völkl. Happy again now Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BobinCH, Steilhang, Another Volkl fan too Madeye-Smiley Have always skied well and held an edge. Been on them for years tbh. Always demo before I buy and try other skis too - so I don't fall into just buying a brand.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been skiing the original 15/16 90Eight pretty much exclusively for the last 2 seasons and totally agree with Bertie's summary. They make a great versatile lightweight do-it-all ski for those who may find a heavier ski hard work as their daily ride. I agree that they are not at their best in heavy chop at speed, but there are not many other conditions that they don't handle pretty effortlessly in resort both on and off-piste. Their only other weakness is that the ultra-slim side walls are prone to taking a battering. I've managed to dent one edge underfoot after hitting a small rock (I was shocked considering it wasn't a big hit) and I've taken a few large chunks out of the very low slung top-sheet. So I'm wondering how long they will hold up? But I guess that's the price you pay for the lightness, which makes them effortless to ski all day in most conditions.

Also worth noting that the 17/18 construction has been updated i.e. beefed up with more glass and is supposed to be a little more energetic and perhaps a little more resilient to damage. I'm tempted to buy another pair of these updated ones to be honest and probably will if I can grab a pair in the end of season sales. I'm now quite a convert to lightweight (but still reasonably stiff) AM skis of this type. I skied them 20 days straight early season without feeling as tired as I normally do on heavier skis.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@uktrailmonster, if you try the latest ones please let us know how you get on.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glad I came across this thread, as I'm thinking of replacing my old Salomon Rocker2 90s - and these sound like they might be a good option. Has anyone skied both the Rocker2 (or QSTs, which seem to the be the updated Rockers) and the 90Eight who can give a comparison? The Volkls are obviously a bit wider - but would be interested how the compare in other respects.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BertieG wrote:
@uktrailmonster, if you try the latest ones please let us know how you get on.

Will do, but highly unlikely this season. The Realskiers review of the revised construction was very positive, making it one of their top picks this season.

"3D.Glass is why the 2018 version of the 90 Eight is a substantial improvement over its first incarnation. The connection between snow and edge is locked down, and the camber underfoot has some kick to it. It easily qualifies as a Power ski, but it’s listed here among the Finesse Favorites because, compared to the norm in the class, it feels so much lighter, more instantly maneuverable and playful."
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy