Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good resort for nervous intermediate early March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm looking to go skiing with my son (who's done 2 weeks with lessons)
I've been 5 times but am a little nervous after my last trip with my mother, who fell on the slopes and broke her knee!
We are looking at early March and would like mostly gentle blue and some red runs..pretty area if possible, the ski area doesn't have to be that large either. Lift passes seem to be so expensive to what I've paid previously??
We would like a hotel close to slopes or lift (budget is £2k for both of us, as I'm paying, to include lift pass)
Looked at Andorra but the transfers are about 4 hours, which I think may be too far.
After our last experience I would really like to do some gentle skiing and hopefully enjoy it. I spent most of my last holiday terrified Shocked
My son doesn't want ski school and I may skip it this time too or maybe get a couple of private lessons
Any help would be great
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Plagne has lots of nice blue runs and some lovely mountain restaurants to stop. Also a good English speaking Ski School (Oxygene), even though your son doesn't want lessons I'm sure he'd benefit and get more out of the holiday with them. We're going in March, but self catering not hotel and paid £300 each for a family of 3 with flights and transfer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’d suggest the Skiwelt, staying at the Ellmau end. Large easy area, you can get round virtually the whole place on blues.
Early March should not be an issue snow wise.

Pretty too with some nice, and inexpensive, mountain huts.

You’ll find the lift pass a bit cheaper than France too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another thought, if you don’t mind a smaller area is St Johann in Tirol.

http://youtube.com/v/1ntSbeIO0DI
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From my experience, resorts which may suit, with lots of easy skiing Smile
Les Gets (France)
Saint Gervais or Megeve (France)
Les Saisies (France) or elsewhere Espace Diamant

For what you're looking for, I wouldn't rule out the Finnish (Lapland) ski centres of Levi, Yllas, Ruka and Pyha. I've just returned from a New Year break to Pyha with the family (two sons aged 7 & 10 first time skiers), which was really great and really snowy/pretty. You can also add in some other winter activities if your budget allows (& the Northern Lights may appear at any time).
Its much cheaper to do this one independently. We booked Norwegian Air to Rovaniemi (taxi'ed to Santas Village 2km away for a few hours). Then used the local transfer bus (SkiBus) to Pyha. And stayed in a log cabin booked through Pyhahippu a letting agent based in the village centre. It was really amazing and the skiing surprised me - wonderful!

Some details below. Good luck in any case!

Some idea of target costs:
Flights £250pp (we got ours for £170pp)
Bus transfers £25pp each way
Log cabins from about £500 total per week (we stayed in Huttukero 8 - which was small but cosy and very authentic - open fire/ sauna etc)
The skiing price (lift pass/kit) is similar (possibly a bit cheaper) than the alps
Restaurants are expensive, but the K-market has similar prices to Europe.
The skis school is expensive, but very good. Expect 60E for 1 hour private lesson.
Do a skidoo or husky safari whilst there, great fun!

Flights from Gatwick to Lapland:
https://www.norwegian.com/uk/destinations/rovaniemi
https://www.norwegian.com/uk/destinations/kittila
https://www.norwegian.com/uk/destinations/ivalo

Accommodation in Pyha:
http://www.pyhahippu.fi/en/

Pyha resort info:
https://pyha.fi/en/

Bus timetables to Pyha:
https://pyha.fi/en/about/getting-to-pyha

Alternative bus routes (anywhere in Finland):
https://matkahuolto.fi/en/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Austria is king for nervous beginners.

Mountains are lower and flatter.

Weather is better.

Go in first week of March and snow should be perfect.

Try Soll or St Johann.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you so much for all the replies...that's certainly given me some starting points and many of those resorts weren't on my lists.
Off to have a look. Was worried about snow but the resorts are looking healthy at the mo Little Angel
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rachiem wrote:

Looked at Andorra but the transfers are about 4 hours, which I think may be too far.

I do the the Barcelona-Andorra transfer quite often and the 3:15 goes by quite quickly. If it is night time, I just sleep (I tend to travel with a neck pillow quite a lot these days).

Did you look at ski operators or just DIY? Some tips on Andorra on the latter:

- AndorraByBus €76 return and drops you in front of the hotel if you book it that way.
- Encamp has cheaper accommodation, but still gives you access to the whole Grandvalira vis the gondola. The free Funibus tuns the main town route and drops you at the gondola.
- Your alternative is La Massana, with its gondola to Pal or Arinsal with it's own small gondola. These two resorts are linked snc if you are just in blue-red cruising they will be sufficient.
- There are also self-catering options (Booking.com is your friend) and all three towns have sufficient supermarket options.
snow conditions
 JeffJeff
JeffJeff
I was going to recommend renting a motorhome as campsites are significantly cheaper than hotels and it can save on transport costs (and they're a lot more fun with family than hotels) but UK rental costs seem to be way higher than they are in the US and for way less (many of them would cope with cold weather poorly and be cramped). So unless you own one or have a friend willing to lend you theirs it doesn't seem cost effective.

We're taking ours to Les Arcs soon and €20 a night, plus fuel plus ferry/eurotunnel works out a lot cheaper than hotels and flights (and I kind of hate hotels anyway). It has been a long time since I was last there but I recall learning there as a kid was quite easy as despite having almost no green runs most of the blues are simple and fun. I'm with your son on the ski school though. I've never followed instructions from strangers well and tend to just get aggravated when I want to do it my own way. A lot more fun to get some basic instruction and learn by trial and error than handholding the whole way... even if it takes longer.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've only looked at tour ops so far as it seems to take the hassle out of things...will take a look at the Andorra bus transfers though as Easyjet to Barca have very cheap flights.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rachiem wrote:
I've only looked at tour ops so far as it seems to take the hassle out of things...will take a look at the Andorra bus transfers though as Easyjet to Barca have very cheap flights.

For your own sanity allow 90min between scheduled flight arrival and bus departure time. I have done it with only 25min between the two, but only because I've only had carry-on and done it many times before. Feel free to ping me if you have questions.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Les Arcs 2000 had wonderful blues, did it last season based on SH recommendations. Same with Obergurgl this year, with a common skipass with Solden (>3 days) .
Had excellent recommendations for Montgenevre for beginners, haven't been there yet
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ysb33r wrote:
rachiem wrote:

For your own sanity allow 90min between scheduled flight arrival and bus departure time. I have done it with only 25min between the two, but only because I've only had carry-on and done it many times before. Feel free to ping me if you have questions.

Thank you Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy